🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asking to contact outside of the upwor...
Page options
f63617d3
Community Member

Client asking to contact outside of the upwork

Several times I said to send me a fixed contract but the client's answer was to contact him directly.

I wanted to attach a message screenshot is it okay to attach it here?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Mohamed A wrote:

Several times I said to send me a fixed contract but the client's answer was to contact him directly.

No, you are not allowed to and why would you even want to? Nobody needs to see random communication between clients and freelancers.

You are not allowed to communicate with clients outside the platform. It is a serious violation of the terms of service. If clients refuse to communicate on the platform, simply flag their job posts as inappropriate and then move on.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Mohamed A wrote:

No, you are not allowed to and why would you even want to? Nobody needs to see random communication between clients and freelancers.

You are not allowed to communicate with clients outside the platform. It is a serious violation of the terms of service. If clients refuse to communicate on the platform, simply flag their job posts as inappropriate and then move on.

f63617d3
Community Member

Okay Thank You.

Mohamed:

A client named "John" asked me to contact him outside of Upwork.

As an Upwork freelancer, I know that this is a violation of Upwork ToS.

But "John" is a new client. He does not necessarily understand all of the rules.

I told John that it is against Upwork's rules to communicate outside of Upwork until a contract is in place. John said "okay" and he communicated with me on Upwork.

====================

A client named "Daniel" asked me to contact him outside of Upwork.

I explained that this is against Upwork rules.

He insisted that I talk to him outside of Upwork. He said he wanted to use Skype.

I blocked Daniel and I went to the job posting page.

I used the "Flag as inappropriate" option to report him.

I used the "Flag as inappropriate" option to report him.

So I got the solution

Thanks

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mohamed,

Thanks for flagging this. I have escalated your report to our team for their review. In a case like this, we encourage you to use the Report Suspicious User Activity feature. Also, please check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork.

~ Bojan
Upwork
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Mohamed A, Thank you for sharing your experience here. Bringing attention to the scams that are present on UW helps make freelancers more aware of them and how to recognize them. All freelancers should read and abide by the ToS to help keep themselves and others safe from the ever increasing number of scam posts. And no, you are not allowed to post the message here, but I wish you were. I like seeing random communication between clients and freelancers when it helps me and others know what to lookout for when dealing with scammers.

Can’t post the message.

But freelancers can describe the messages and conversations in their own words.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members