cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client doesn't know how to pay the rest of the money but ended the contract!

Community Leader
Mahmudur R Member Since: Jan 14, 2014
1 of 11

Hello, 

Can anyone please advise how to get my payment? Client paid only $12 of a $100 project. It was a time consuming work and she was very happy with the end result. Unfortunately she made payment only $12 (1st milestone) and ended the contract then sent me the following message, **Edited for Community Guidelines**

I asked to make the rest of the payment but she is not replying. Can anyone please tell how to get the rest of the payment? 

Mahmud
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
2 of 11

You've been scamed. You will not get the rest of your payment, and there is nothing Upwork can do about that. This client knows very well how to deposit the rest of your payment. She has probably pulled this scam many times before. It is YOUR business and YOUR responsibility to use this site correctly. That means making sure that either the entire job or each milestone (as they come up if you have milestones) are FULLY funded for the required amount BEFORE you start work. If not, then you do NOT start work no matter how conviencing the client is, no matter what promises they make or whatever else they say to you. 

It doesn't matter what amount of payment was agreed on when you accepted the contract. The only thing that matters and the only amount you will be paid is what is deposited into escrow. 

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
3 of 11

Afraid Kathy is right. You worked ahead of escrow. Don't do that!!

The one thing you can do now is send the client a message, politely explaining that she needed to deposit the outstanding $88 in escrow before she closed the contract and since she didn't understand to do that, she can easily pay the amount to you as a bonus, thank you very much. She won't, of course, so even sending that message could be considered a waste of time. I'd do it because of the one-in-a-zillion chance she really is that boneheaded, in which case it would be an $88 message.

Don't work ahead of escrow again!!

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 11

well, in case she isn't actually scamming, since she closed the contract she can pay you as a bonus on that contract.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 11

Mahmudur, 

If this were me, I would probably do one of two things:

1) I would contact the client and offer to refund her, but if I did that, my work would revert to me in its entirety and that she would not have the right to use it at all and I would ensure that Google takes it down if she did use it. 

Or

2) I would contact the client and tell her that unless she paid me what she owes me, I would sell the work minus the small  bit I did for $12 to someone else and that I would make sure that everybody I could think of across the board of social media knew about it. 

I'm sick to death of cheap clients who pull this stunt.

By the way if this contract affects your JSS, you can use your TR perk and have the entire feedback including the private removed (provided you haven' t made use of the perk in the last three months). 

Community Leader
Anna T Member Since: Jan 27, 2017
6 of 11

Nichola L wrote:

2) I would contact the client and tell her that unless she paid me what she owes me, I would sell the work minus the small  bit I did for $12 to someone else and that I would make sure that everybody I could think of across the board of social media knew about it. 

I LOVE IT!!

Ace Contributor
Pierre L Member Since: Feb 23, 2016
7 of 11

I like it too, except there's one problem. You are assuming this is a writing job by the looks of it. Having checked Mahmudur's profile he's a graphic designer. Suppose he did a logo, I doubt there would be much interest by others of that work. In my particular case, an online marketer, it would be hard to find and sell the work done to a competitor that would want it. A nice idea but not practical for every kind of freelancer out there. I know there's a lot of writing jobs on UW but don't assume that's all there is.

Community Leader
Anna T Member Since: Jan 27, 2017
8 of 11

Pierre L wrote:

You are assuming this is a writing job by the looks of it. Having checked Mahmudur's profile he's a graphic designer. Suppose he did a logo,

Nope.  I looked.  I believe it's a flyer.  Personally, I'd give that flyer some wings and let it soar.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
9 of 11

Pierre L wrote:

I like it too, except there's one problem. You are assuming this is a writing job by the looks of it. Having checked Mahmudur's profile he's a graphic designer. Suppose he did a logo, I doubt there would be much interest by others of that work. In my particular case, an online marketer, it would be hard to find and sell the work done to a competitor that would want it. A nice idea but not practical for every kind of freelancer out there. I know there's a lot of writing jobs on UW but don't assume that's all there is.

I knew the OP is a graphic designer. His work might be difficult to resell but he could still use it as a portfolio piece, the point is, the client has no right to use it. 

(If you had come with the same complaint, I would have checked your profile, as I did with the OP, but seeing you have set it to private, I would not have posted at all as I wouldn't have known what your category was.) So the assumptions are entirely yours! 

Community Leader
Mahmudur R Member Since: Jan 14, 2014
10 of 11

Nichola wrote, 

If this were me, I would probably do one of two things:

1) I would contact the client and offer to refund her, but that if I did that, my work would revert to me in its entirety and that she would not have the right to use it at all and I would ensure that Google takes it down if she did use it. 

Or

I'm sick to death of cheap clients who pull this stunt.

By the way if this contract affects your JSS, you can use your TR perk and have the entire feedback including the private removed (provided you haven' t made use of the perk in the last three months). 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good idea. I was going to do as you asked but client sent the payment as a bonus in the meantime! I noted down your advice to use in future!

Mahmud
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS