cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client from hell - extremely serious - need help on how to proceed, please!! - Pt. 1

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
31 of 37

@Giorgi N wrote:

If we stick to facts: the fact is you are doing "something" for about a month and can't provide the client any results. You are just repeating "I can not provide betta", "I will not provide betta". You SHOULD deliver something! May be login page is working, may be some other pages also working... But on every request you are just saying "see you next week" and "it is 85% completed". And when you are asked for a phone call you say you are not available. Be I your client I would worry too.

Giorgi, I think Ben has addressed this when he mentioned

"

• An ERD
  • Plenty of Wireframes
  • a 4 page proposal
  • screenshots of the work in progress - with annotations and explanations
  • (2) screen sharing sessions over a two week period of said progress"

I *DO* however agree that if there was a situation where I had a client freaking out and asking for a phone call I *WOULD* make the time for that call. At some point in the next few hours, NOT "on Monday!"

So there are some "client management lessons" to be learned by Benjamin here too!

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
32 of 37

Enough advice has been given. The OP should clarify his problems with UW and the client. If he can prove that the client has blackmailed him he should provide evidence of this instead of accusing the client here as a "client from hell" in a public community. In either case after this project the Top Rated badge will probably disappear. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
33 of 37

@Margarete M wrote:

In either case after this project the Top Rated badge will probably disappear. 

He can use his "remove one contract from the calculation" priviledge, provided he hasn't already used it.

He also said he has already contacted Support about it.

Highlighted
34 of 37

@Petra R wrote:

@Margarete M wrote:

In either case after this project the Top Rated badge will probably disappear. 

He can use his "remove one contract from the calculation" priviledge, provided he hasn't already used it.

He also said he has already contacted Support about it.

Apart from the fact that I dislike the feature mentioned above I said probably NOT definitely. Please look at his job history. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Sadan M Member Since: Sep 3, 2010
35 of 37

Ben I am also a dev like you with 8000 hours and I have encountered similar clients in the past 7 years I have been on Upwork. There are certain things you did wrong which most likely annoyed the client which resulted in such threats and request for a refund. First it was totally irrelevant to tell the client that you have other projects. Secondly you should have taken 30 mins out from your busy time and called the client to clarify the confusion. I mostly ask my clients to have a call instead of chat to clarify the status of the project or ask any questions and make sure that I am available for a client call all the time. Even if I am out in a shopping mall and my client wants to ask something I find a quiet spot and calls the client to clarify something. 95% of the time things can be avoided with clear communication with your client. 

I would recommend you to call your client immediately and offer him to reduce the amount of hours to 65-70 from 80 and deliver him the complete project instead of going into any further arguments about quality of work and beta releases with your client. Going into a dispute will not help you at all. Just finish the work and get the client off your back as soon as you can even if you have to reschedule the deadline of your other project.  At least this is what I would have done if I would have been in this mess.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Benjamin H Member Since: Mar 12, 2015
36 of 37

I do appreciate everyone's advice and recommendations.  Also, I do agree that I did not do everything 100% right on my end.  In retrospect, there are several things that I should have handled differently.  Asking those more knowledgeable than me if certain stipulations are paramount to violating any policy on Upwork, isn't one of those things.

This was a stressful mess and it did have my head tied up for several days.  That is why I both contacted Upwork and reached out to you folks on the community forum.  I'm glad that I did.

I have no clue what Upwork is going to do and I am certain that my JSS will drop, but, more importantly, I was able to get a good night's sleep last night, which hasn't happened in the better part of a week.  I do not think that would have happened without this discussion.  So, thank you tremendously for that!

What I've learned through this process is that no matter how much experience you have or how many clients you've dealt with, it is still pretty impossible to know which ones will be stellar and which one might have you re-thinking what you've chosen for a career.  

At the end of the day, it takes a truly remarkable individual to have the patience, forethought, fortitude, skill and disposition to be a truly successful freelancer.  It is not a path for the faint of heart and we've all chosen it, or it has chosen us, for a reason.  I tip my hat to anyone courageous enough to forge their own path in life and I thank all of you for sharing your insight and the wisdom that can only be gleaned from this experience!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
37 of 37

This process is a learning experience. Once you get screwed over, you're much better at picking apart the red flags and making a decision. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS