Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client is forcing me to do more than what was agreed

Highlighted
Muhammad Q Member Since: Mar 18, 2020
1 of 17

Hello fam!

I signed a fixed price contract for 150$ a couple of days ago. I submitted the work according to his needs. He asked me to make so many changes, so I went an extra mile just to make sure he get satisfied somehow.
Now he is asking me to start over a specific part with a different method. Because he didn't realised that the method he suggested before is not useful for him.

Now, I feel like he is harrasing me. I feel so helpless right now.

Need help.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Elyannie W Member Since: Nov 21, 2017
2 of 17

When you submitted the work did you use the submit work button? If the contract has been fulfilled the client should pay you for the work completed as long as it was completed as per the terms of your contract. 

Highlighted
3 of 17

Hi Elyannie, I used the submit button. But I'm afraid he'll ruin my feedback and eventually JSS.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 17

You have 100% JSS.

You have completed 17 jobs.

You don't need to put up with this client's unprofessional, unethical, immoral behavior.

Your profile can handle getting a less-than-perfect score, or a zero-pay contract.

I would strongly advise you to not do any more free work for this client. He needs to pay you before you will do anything else for him.

Tell the client:

"Joshua, I think there may have been some misunderstanding about the nature of this contract. It is a fixed-price contract for a specific task, and that task has been completed. You may release payment and close the contract, after which I will be happy to discuss what you want done next. According to Upwork TOS, which prohibits clients from asking for free work, or asking for work that is not specifically written in the fixed-price task description, you can't ask me to do anything more until payment has been released."

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 17

re: "I feel so helpless right now."

You are not helpless.

He needs you more than you need him.

And if it turns out that he really does not need you, then maybe he doesn't have you do any more work for him. But that is fine, because you DO NOT NEED a client who pressures you to work for free. 

Highlighted
6 of 17

Hello Preston, thanks a lot for sharing your views.

My client is like : "I need the correct implementation of _____. You can try ______ if it works. This is not my final proposal. Its only suggestion."

What he basically mean is, he is specifying methods to do the task, when I do it for him. He's like, this is not what I need, do it in another way.

How should I deal with such scenerio?

Thanks

Highlighted
Jurate C Member Since: Feb 6, 2020
7 of 17

Preston, very good advice✔✔✔

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
8 of 17

Muhammad Q wrote:

Hello fam!

I signed a fixed price contract for 150$ a couple of days ago. I submitted the work according to his needs. He asked me to make so many changes, so I went an extra mile just to make sure he get satisfied somehow.
Now he is asking me to start over a specific part with a different method. Because he didn't realised that the method he suggested before is not useful for him.

Need help.

Look,  from the client's perspective, he realized he needs something more. Just politely explain it's an addition to the scope of work. Ask him to release the current payment for the work done. Then quote whatever you want to redo the part he's asking for, since it's a revision based on his instructions. If he's reasonable, and asking for some revisions is not unreasonable, it's up to you to tell him how you handle revisions, then he will either fund it or counter offer and you'll do the work and get paid. 

I feel like so often freelancers bail and blame the client but they never actually just pointed to the original scope and said " you are asking for more, and I'm happy to do it , under a new funded milestone".  Give the client a chance to be decent. Set some boundaries.  Clients don't know what you will or won't do unless you tell them. 

Now he could be a bad client, or this could be miscommunication. If you haven't tried communicating that he needs to pay the first milestone and fund another for a major revision because he has changed his needs, then you should try that. Be respectful and polite, but firm. If he says no, then  part ways - either with  full or partial refund ( I suggest partial, since you did do a lot of work).  Try to work it out. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Prachi T Member Since: Nov 4, 2017
9 of 17

Amanda L wrote:

Muhammad Q wrote:

Hello fam!

Need help.

Look,  from the client's perspective, he realized he needs something more. Just politely explain it's an addition to the scope of work. Ask him to release the current payment for the work done. Then quote whatever you want to redo the part he's asking for, since it's a revision based on his instructions. If he's reasonable, and asking for some revisions is not unreasonable, it's up to you to tell him how you handle revisions, then he will either fund it or counter offer and you'll do the work and get paid. 

I feel like so often freelancers bail and blame the client but they never actually just pointed to the original scope and said " you are asking for more, and I'm happy to do it , under a new funded milestone".  Give the client a chance to be decent. Set some boundaries.  Clients don't know what you will or won't do unless you tell them. 

Now he could be a bad client, or this could be miscommunication. If you haven't tried communicating that he needs to pay the first milestone and fund another for a major revision because he has changed his needs, then you should try that. Be respectful and polite, but firm. If he says no, then  part ways - either with  full or partial refund ( I suggest partial, since you did do a lot of work).  Try to work it out. 

Great advice.

I wouldn't mention the ToS either. It sounds too accusatory and thus would be detrimental to working things out. 

Highlighted
10 of 17

Hello Amanda, thanks a lot for sharing your views.

My client is like : "I need the correct implementation of _____. You can try ______ if it works. This is not my final proposal. Its only suggestion."

What he basically mean is, he is specifying methods to do the task, when I do it for him using his specified technique. He's like, this is not what I need, do it in another way.

How should I deal with such scenerio?

Thanks

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS