🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client paused my hourly contract (it is a rep...
Page options
501aeb63
Community Member

Client paused my hourly contract (it is a repost, the previous one I post on the wrong section)

It is a repost. I post this on the client section (I thought that section means topics about clients) but I cannot delete my previous post. 

Hi everyone,

I have this client as my very first client on Upwork, but the contract has been opened for 3 weeks.

It is just a small editing image job with a low rate, but I accept it since I need some positive reviews.

The client seems nice, but a bit hard to get in touch, after the first few rounds of editing, he only gets back to me once a week each time when I asked for his feedback twice.

Today I was asking him if the work is all good and does he want to leave any feedback, and he replied me it looks good for now, and if he needs any extra work in the future, he will get back to me. And he paused the contract.

I am still new to Upwork and haven't got any situation like this, I'm so confused.

My questions are:

Will I still get paid for the work I have done even though the contract is paused?

If it keeps paused like this, I guess I wouldn't get a review from him right? What should I do to deal with such a situation? Now I feel I am kind of finished the job but it is not ending but paused.

I will attach the message from my client to make it more clear to you.

Looking forward to any suggestions, thanks in advance!

Emma

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Emma Z wrote:

Hi Preston,

Thanks for your reply.

Would it affect my score if the contract paused for a long time? What is the best period of time for me to get in touch with him if nothing happened for a while?

Cheers,

Emma

It does not matter how long the contract is open, it has no negative impact on anything. But since you want to build your profile, you want the client to end the job and leave feedback for you. 

You could say something like this: Dear John, would you mind ending the contract at this time? Since I'm just starting on upwork, every feedback is very important for me to build my profile. You can hire me again anytime when you have a new task!

Don't end the contract yourself if he doesn't reply, that way you likely don't get feedback. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
02d3e798
Community Member

You'll get paid but unless the contract is ended you will not get a review. I would just accept that it is a complete task and seek out your next contract.

prestonhunter
Community Member

A client may pause a contract at any time. There is nothing wrong with that.

As a freelancer, you are paid automatically for the time that you logged.

Pausing a contract doesn't stop you from getting paid. Ending a contract doesn't stop you from getting paid.

What should you do now?

Do nothing.

When the client has more work, he will ask you to do more, and you can earn more money.

The paused contract is not hurting you. Based on the client's message, it sounds like he has more in mind for you to work on.

Hi Preston,

Thanks for your reply.

Would it affect my score if the contract paused for a long time? What is the best period of time for me to get in touch with him if nothing happened for a while?

Cheers,

Emma

Emma Z wrote:

Hi Preston,

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers,

Emma

It does not matter how long the contract is open, it has no negative impact on anything. But since you want to build your profile, you want the client to end the job and leave feedback for you. 

You could say something like this: Dear John, would you mind ending the contract at this time? Since I'm just starting on upwork, every feedback is very important for me to build my profile. You can hire me again anytime when you have a new task!

Don't end the contract yourself if he doesn't reply, that way you likely don't get feedback. 

Thanks! I did that and the client ended the contract. Problem solved!

All the best,

Emma

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members