xluluheartx

Client trying to fish ID

I had a recent invite to a project, and after getting in touch on skype the client tried to fish for my ID scan. After i pointed out that Upwork already does verifications, he refused to continue the project. I already flagged the proposal in question, but what more can i do?

5 REPLIES 5

@Laura C wrote:

I had a recent invite to a project, and after getting in touch on skype the client tried to fish for my ID scan. After i pointed out that Upwork already does verifications, he refused to continue the project. I already flagged the proposal in question, but what more can i do?

I am familiar with another type of verification strategy -- the one via video chat.  But this is quite different since the procedure is going to be done by an entity outside Upwork.  The activity, it seems, is for research purposes. So I told the requester that verification procedures must be done after a contract has been offered to the freelancer.

@Laura C wrote:

Flagging the job and then posting here are good moves. 

That's all you can do for now. A Mod may come along and ask for further information (it may take them a bit to do so). 

I have finished over 120 jobs on Upwork.

Not once has any client needed a scan of my ID.

I don't trust any client that asks for this and won't accept the answer the original poster wisely gave.

If a client insists on getting this information, and won't educate herself about the fact that Upwork already has our information and they (the client) don't actually need it... then that "client" is a scammer or identity thief.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for flagging, Laura. We'll have this client reviewed. I'll let you know if we need any additional information.

~ Valeria
Upwork
seoultimate

Flag is a good move 🙂 Go ahead. 

I even don't go skype ! I always ask client to use upwork messaging system.. its ajax base, have audio / video system so why I need an extra messaging system for upwork client? So I always ask them to use UpWork.