🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Compassion and consideration in these difficu...
Page options
breece-page-gary
Community Member

Compassion and consideration in these difficult times

May I call on Upwork to remove the connect fees that were introduced not long ago and return to the free connects allocation per month for a few months. In these uncertain times of hardship for everyone, do your bit, I am sure you can manage for a while on your considerable 20% comission fee on each transaction, it is within your interest to support the freelance community that you rely on in these times of difficulty.

Lets work together people

208 REPLIES 208

Angela K wrote:

Is UpWork working on a solution to help freelancers close contracts for accounts whose contact is no longer with the company/laid-off? I have several long-term contracts that would crush my JSS if I were to close. And it's heartbreaking to think I won't earn their glowing feedback from some of my highest earning accounts that would have weighed so heavily on my score.

Don't worry about them. They do you no harm open either, provided you were paid something, at some point, ever.

Situation COVID-19 and need Emergency Help Plan

Time is very critical now all over the world, Lockdown everywhere, Most of the freelancer like me from Bangladesh who uses prepaid visa card for purchases connect can't go outside for lockdown, and the bank also open for a limited time only for emergency service,
freelancer can't submit a proposal because of not available connect, a freelancer is going workless,
in this critical situation applied to Upwork team please Discuss and make an Emergency Help plan for our freelancer who is working from a country like Bangladesh, India, Pakistan,

Best Regards

Upwork has made it clear that they don't have plans to change their connect system. Flooding the platform with connects will do more harm than good. 

However I'm truly sorry for the stress you must be going through right now. So many of us take for granted the privledge we have, like access to secure banks and credit cards. 

I hope you're able to find a solution. 

I think that there are now some projects that don't cost any connects to bid on? (Perhaps a moderator can confirm or deny this, since I personally haven't seen any yet.) And there are definitely quite a few projects where your connects will be returned if no one is hired, so if you have any connects left at all, you could focus on those.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful. I'll flag your post for the attention of a moderator, to see if they can help you figure out an alternative payment method.

well thank you both of you, actually, it's not for me personally, in the freelancer Facebook community lots of posts over there regarding connect and job posting issue and they are not able to buy new connect because of lockdown, and most of them from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh,

hope I get an answer

Best regards

mohammad a wrote:

Time is very critical now all over the world, Lockdown everywhere, Most of the freelancer like me from Bangladesh who uses prepaid visa card for purchases connect can't go outside for lockdown, and the bank also open for a limited time only for emergency service,

You can use your Upwork balance to buy connects, too.

thank you petra its not for me, I have the balance on my account, I try to notice Upwork for those freelancers who are not able to buy new connect in this lockdown situation,

thank you

mohammad a wrote:

Situation COVID-19 and need Emergency Help Plan

freelancer can't submit a proposal because of not available connect, a freelancer is going workless,
in this critical situation applied to Upwork team please Discuss and make an Emergency Help plan for our freelancer who is working from a country like Bangladesh, India, Pakistan,

Best Regards

So give handouts to just those countries. You just happen to be in them but they should focus on them especially because.....? Can you explain your reasoning?

Jennifer M basically in a country like Bangladesh, India, and Pakistan freelancer buy connect through prepaid card, in those countries don't have PayPal, for recharge card they need to go in the bank but in present lockdown all over, the bank only servicing 3 hours a day and only open for emergency services,

I try to explain those freelancers who don't get a job after bid and finished there connect they are not able to buy new connect because of prepaid card recharge issue,

Does Upwork have any plan for those freelancers from those particular regions?

best regards

mohammad a wrote:

Jennifer M basically in a country like Bangladesh, India, and Pakistan freelancer buy connect through prepaid card, in those countries don't have PayPal, for recharge card they need to go in the bank but in present lockdown all over, the bank only servicing 3 hours a day and only open for emergency services,

I try to explain those freelancers who don't get a job after bid and finished there connect they are not able to buy new connect because of prepaid card recharge issue,

Does Upwork have any plan for those freelancers from those particular regions?

best regards

You have to go to the bank for a Payoneer card? I don't have one of those but thought it can be done on the Internet.

No, we cant Recharge Payoneer card from our country bank, we can only withdraw Payoneer money from a bank ATM booth using Payoneer card,

So, Mohammad, what exactly do you think Upwork should do while they are struggling to stay in business themselves?

Maybe to come up with ideas/brainstorm proactively (temporary solutions) to make sure they are actively allowing to the best of their abilities to connect freelancers from countries with particular problems with buyers, just like they did with the Fund thingy for US freelancers. And just like many of us are finding to help ours and others in dire need. I guess Mohamad raised a valid concern, voicing it where it belongs - in this forum. Since this is a discussion held in a different thread opened by Hayden, this should be moved there. 

mohammad a wrote:

No, we cant Recharge Payoneer card from our country bank, we can only withdraw Payoneer money from a bank ATM booth using Payoneer card,

So you have to withdraw from an ATM to put cash on the card to buy connects?

Jennifer M wrote:

mohammad a wrote:

I am not finding Mohammad A's information that difficult to understand. Presumably, as in rich countries, one goes to the ATM as needed and convenient, and into a bank to deal with a person as required. Presumably, not all one's monetary transactions require either an ATM or a bank visit.

Apart from commonalities, Upwork's own terms as well as user reports indicate that various international cards work differently inside and outside the US. And I can attest from personal travel in poor countries as well as information from clients that various transactions that we in the US can do from the convenience of our homes or the nearest ATM require a bank visit.

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

mohammad a wrote:

I am not finding Mohammad A's information that difficult to understand. Presumably, as in rich countries, one goes to the ATM as needed and convenient, and into a bank to deal with a person as required. Presumably, not all one's monetary transactions require either an ATM or a bank visit.

Apart from commonalities, Upwork's own terms as well as user reports indicate that various international cards work differently inside and outside the US. And I can attest from personal travel in poor countries as well as information from clients that various transactions that we in the US can do from the convenience of our homes or the nearest ATM require a bank visit.

wow that sucks. So you have to go to a bank to put money on a card. I've never used a prepaid card so idk. I just prefer swipey swipey and moving on.

Jennifer M wrote:

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

mohammad a wrote:

wow that sucks. So you have to go to a bank to put money on a card. I've never used a prepaid card so idk. I just prefer swipey swipey and moving on.

Yup, we're spoiled. Smiley Wink

Unfortunately, I did not find where I can directly ask a question to Upwork.
Therefore, this topic has been created.

Hello!
At this difficult time, can you review the amount of the membership fee in a freelancer account?

Although it is about $ 15, today it is a pretty important amount.

I am an unemployed disabled person, at the moment Upwork is my only source of income, I bid every day, but getting an order is not so easy, and if a membership fee is taken away, there is very little money left.

Hope for understanding.

Yours faithfully,
Max.

Hi Maksym,

I'm sorry to hear about the hardship you are experiencing. The safety and well-being of the Upwork community is our number one priority. At the moment, we aren't aware of any plans to make changes and lower the membership fees. We'll continue to monitor developments with COVID-19 closely and certainly notify our users if there are any changes.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
385bbdf5
Community Member

Hello.

My name is Vladislav and I'm a Rising Talent freelancer. On Upwork I provide my services of translation from Russian to English and vice versa. I would like to ask if there is a possibility to receive some Connects for free? I do not beg for them and I do not want other freelancers to donate me money.

I have heard that Upwork team provides support for those who have suffered consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic. I'm one of those people. Right now, I'm desperately trying to get any job in order to have some income. Thank you for reading this message and I'm sorry if I violated Terms of Service by writing such a message.

Hi Vladislav,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The safety and well-being of the Upwork community is our number one priority. At the moment, we aren't aware of any plans to make changes to Connects or offer free ones. We'll continue to monitor developments with COVID-19 closely and certainly notify our users if there are any changes.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
lysis10
Community Member

If Upwork gave me free connects, I wouldn't even know what to do with them. I'd never be able to get rid of them. lol

In the 4.5 years I've been on here, I've never been below like 180 connects. lol  I think even now with the 6 connects per job thing, I don't think I've gone below maybe 160ish.

+ 1 to Christine's suggestion.

I've already seen countless more applications to jobs (even an hour after posting) that normally wouldn't have any. So no thanks, no need to lower the threshold even more for one-timers or those wanting to quickly make the switch. 

reichstephen
Community Member

Well said Gary.

To bad this thread turns into a cheerlader, drink the kool aid, Upwork has to do nothing for dime a dozen freelancers. Frankly this thread and forum is not a community. I find it full of useless information and I stay away from it. 

The bottomline is will Upwork do anything to help freelancers make ends meet. Maybe Upwork could hire a PR expert to make us feel better during this crisis.  All my bill collectors have sent me emails to ease my anxiety. I find it odd and concerning Upwork has done nothing to address this issue. The world had changed Upwork, dont bury your head in the sand. Let us know you care. Thank you

Thanks for sharing your concerns. The safety and well-being of the Upwork community is our number one priority. Upwork fees help to cover the costs of acquiring new clients and providing services like payment protection, customer support, and the platform infrastructure. We'll continue to monitor developments with COVID-19 closely and notify our customers if there are any changes. Stay safe!

Untitled

Understand the difficulties

Hope Upwork can come up with even a token gesture.

Arul R wrote:

I'd rather Upwork stays in business.

tta192
Community Member

Arul R wrote:

Understand the difficulties

This time the token gesture may need to come from the community side (both freelancers and clients). Some could stop circumventing the system - just for a while - and pay the commision on the jobs. Another very useful gesture (much easier to implement) is to limit the number of requests for support / disputes /etc during this period to a minimum.

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

Heart touching note.  I support compassion and am doing my part to assist those in need in the U.S. 

I surmise the primary reason behind issuing connects at a cost is to make financially unviable for contractors to issue high-count blanket responses.  There were the days where every job listing garnered "template" responses measured at 30, 40, 50.  I experienced these as an Upwork hiring client and they were indeed distressing.

It is time to sharpen the proverbial pen.  Make sure one's profile is in pristine, highly competitive shape.  To focus more deeply on proposal responses -- pick and chose wisely so as to limit investment in marketing and sales.  Which, as we consider ourselves privately owned businesses, is exactly what we invest in with connects.  Marketing and sales.

Then consider, each time we respond.  There are other freelancers out there in states of distress and it has most surely become the driving mission of some of those competitors to be the one to win the work.

Perhaps, maybe just perhaps.  The answer is to amp up our competitive natures.  Work harder to win work.  Out compete the competition.  Then with one project win gained by that competitive effort delta, the cost of connections for weeks, months, a year, years, is afforded.

John B wrote:

Heart touching note.  I support compassion and am doing my part to assist those in need in the U.S. 

I surmise the primary reason behind issuing connects at a cost is to make financially unviable for contractors to issue high-count blanket responses.  There were the days where every job listing garnered "template" responses measured at 30, 40, 50.  I experienced these as an Upwork hiring client and they were indeed distressing.

It is time to sharpen the proverbial pen.  Make sure one's profile is in pristine, highly competitive shape.  To focus more deeply on proposal responses -- pick and chose wisely so as to limit investment in marketing and sales.  Which, as we consider ourselves privately owned businesses, is exactly what we invest in with connects.  Marketing and sales.

Then consider, each time we respond.  There are other freelancers out there in states of distress and it has most surely become the driving mission of some of those competitors to be the one to win the work.

Perhaps, maybe just perhaps.  The answer is to amp up our competitive natures.  Work harder to win work.  Out compete the competition.  Then with one project win gained by that competitive effort delta, the cost of connections for weeks, months, a year, years, is afforded.

In difficult times for all of us, thanks for cheering me up John. If we all upped our competitive delta efforts, the world would be a much be better place.

joywriter
Community Member

Gary, you should know that Upwork's structure, tools, enterprise solutions, teams and professionals are the reason this platform is one of the only  known for attracting dozens of multi-billion dollar companies to come hire freelancers like you and me.  And all that costs a lot of money! I've had the opporunity to work for mutliple F100 and F500 companies on Upwork over the past  9+ years due to the reputation this platform has built.

They indeed support the community of freelancers and one of the things I love the most about Upwork is the 24/7 live chat support team! I know the support chat is a basic tool but I just love it because I used it ALL THE TIME! 🙂 Which other platform offers that?  One? However, other platforms have disabled that and many other features due to COVID-19 and Upwork is still providing their 24/7 support by allowing their support team to help us from their homes.

I know without a doubt that "returning to the free connects allocation per month for a few months" will not help freelancers at all in any way. We as freelancers already get plenty of FREE connects every month to search and apply for jobs.

It's in times like these that we as a community need to sharpen not only our skills but also the art of applying to jobs. We need to re-invent how we treat clients when submitting applications and proposals.  We should strive to WOW our potential clients at the application point and not after "securing the job". 

Clients don't need 1000 applications to find a single professional to help them, they only need a handful of well qualified professionals applying so that they can struggle in picking the best out of 6 and not in going over 100 applicants to find 6 worth speaking to.

Freelancers also dont need 1000 free connects to find a job, all they needs is to constantly send well crafted and targetted proposals to get their client's attention, earn their trust, build relationship and get the job. 

Also, making things FREE would not only make the company lose revenue but it would also affect their earnings and the earnings of other freelance professionals on the platform because it would drastically lower average price per job with hundreds of people sending lower than average bids which in all just affet the market value of the work we strive to provide our clients with excellence. 

As for the fees:

- 20% is discounted from the first $500 ONLY

- 10% up to $9999

- 5% after $10000

- And then after 2 years there's the option of also working directly with your client if he or she chooses to do so as longs as the conditions of Upwork's Terms of service are followed. No other platform offers similar terms and opportunities to their freelancers.

I wish you and everyone from the community the best of luck and stay safe!
Hugo

BRAVO @ L.S.

Everyone else - read the above and stop behaving like **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

'Upwork is still providing their 24/7 support'
but why signing CoS has not 24/7 support???
If I don't send my CoS in US work hours, I'm usually waiting a lot of time. is it big problem to sign CoS???
why Upwork can't make service for automatically signing CoS, why I need always ask support to sign CoS??

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Aleksandr,

I'm sorry to hear you're unhappy with the response time and the assistance you received on your recent requests. I checked and see that even on your most recent requests you've received the information you requested within the same day, a few hours after submitting your request (outside the US working hours). Let me know if we're not looking at the same support requests and I'll be happy to take a look.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

All,

A few posts have been removed from this thread as they were against the Community Guidelines. We understand that this is a very stressful time for everybody and many of our Community members may disagree with each other. However, please still be mindful of the Guidelines and refrain from making personal attacks. 

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork

As Valeria says, play nice people.

I don't need anything from Upwork. Upwork is a portal I pay a 20% commission per job and a monthly fee. I should be honored to be allowed to do so with all my years of experience. All I ask for is a small email from a company who's Governor Gavin Newsom has declared a statewide stay-at-home order to its 40 million residents. The stay-at-home order sounds like it will help Upworks decimated stock price of 6 bucks a share. Just Google "Companies Giving Back During The Coronavirus Pandemic." and you will see Upwork is late to the party again. Public relations is a important part of navigating a competitive online world. Give me a call Upwork and Ill suggest positive moves with the crisis surrounding coronavirus.

Stephen R wrote:

Just Google "Companies Giving Back During The Coronavirus Pandemic." and you will see Upwork is late to the party again.

The best thing Upwork could do, would be to give CLIENTS incentives.

All the connects in the world don't help if there are less clients and more freelancers with more connects. That will just result in everyone losing out big time.

People need to stop thinking that more connects lead to more earnings for them. The opposite is true if everyone has more connects. BIG TIME.

Petra,

I don't need connects. I don't even use mine. 99% of my work is invites. 

Upwork ignoring freelancers during this Pandemic does not ease the fact freelancers are losing clients because the clients now have no income. I don't want connects. Maybe reducing the 20% commission for a limited time would help freelancers pay their bills or offer incentives like you suggested.

Frankly I don't want a thing but for big brother to acknowledge there is a world crisis and give some guidance to us peons who pay a small percentage of there salaries. 

If I were worried about connects and all the BIG TIME freelancers with hundreds of connects biding on jobs I would close up shop today.

I amazes me a company with a 714.354M market cap cant draft a press release with a plan on how they will navigate this crisis. 

Stephen R wrote:

Upwork ignoring freelancers during this Pandemic does not ease the fact freelancers are losing clients because the clients now have no income.

ARE freelancers losing clients, though? I can only speak for my own category (graphic design), but I've been bidding on projects for the past couple of days and haven't noticed any decline in the quantity or quality of projects available (there are way more bids on everything, though). I'm not saying that it won't happen, just that it doesn't seem to have happened yet. There have always been lots of freelancers in the forum saying that they can't find work here; the only difference is that now they have something new to blame.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members