🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Several of clients were laid off due to Coron...
Page options
breece-page-gary
Community Member

Compassion and consideration in these difficult times

May I call on Upwork to remove the connect fees that were introduced not long ago and return to the free connects allocation per month for a few months. In these uncertain times of hardship for everyone, do your bit, I am sure you can manage for a while on your considerable 20% comission fee on each transaction, it is within your interest to support the freelance community that you rely on in these times of difficulty.

Lets work together people

208 REPLIES 208

Every company that has my email box has sent an email on how they are dealing with the Coronaviris. 

Heck even Fiverr sent me an update on how they dealing with this world crisis and support.

Does Upwork have any plans on financial relief with its commision or connects? I am seeing less invites and jobs over the last week. I have long-term clients who have closed up shop or putting projects with me on the back burner. All of us in the U.S. and the world are being effected. Any plans to do anything to address this crisis we all are facing. 

Thank you

Stephen R wrote:

Every company that has my email box has sent an email on how they are dealing with the Coronaviris. 

Heck even Fiverr sent me an update on how they dealing with this world crisis and support.

Does Upwork have any plans on financial relief with its commision or connects? I am seeing less invites and jobs over the last week. I have long-term clients who have closed up shop or putting projects with me on the back burner. All of us in the U.S. and the world are being effected. Any plans to do anything to address this crisis we all are facing. 

Thank you

Nope, but I still need a nanny.

Stephen R wrote:

Thank you

Did any of the ones who emailed you give you any financial relief? None of the 349875439 I got did any of this and they still want their money but they care and are washing their hands and wanted to just let me know.

So upwork has stopped sending out free connects monthly, or free connects in general.

During this global pandemic, since people are mostly trapped at home, don't you think that it would be a nice gesture to give the freelance community a boost with some free connects?

Just thought that I would open this suggestion.

Thanks
Antony

Antony E wrote:

During this global pandemic, since people are mostly trapped at home, don't you think that it would be a nice gesture to give the freelance community a boost with some free connects?

No, I don't.  It will be hard enough to win jobs with all those people stuck at home already bidding like crazy as it is. The last thing anyone wants is even more bids on every job.

Such a move would be bad for absolutely everyone. 

Thank you Petra for your reply.
I see your point. Perhaps just decreasing the fees would be benificial for those already working/ struggling with their current upwork jobs.

Hello All

I have a suggestion for the Upwork team.  If you could relax the security period and make funds available as soon as they are released.  It will help the freelancers towards their financial needs.  Let us fight the covid-19 together.

Upwork could show some consideration to make funds available as soon as they are released, at least from those clients who are long time registered.

While, thanks God, currently I don't rely on earnings made on Upwork ... regardless the situation .... it's ridiculous to see weekly small amounts held for security reasons from a client I've been working for about 6 years, on Elance and then here on Upwork.

Selfishness does not "fight covid-19".  People may need help, and they need it "now".

Tarpinder S wrote:

It is a suggestion to the Upwork team.  I was expecting a positive response.  We all know the Upwork security period hold does not fight covid-19, but money does.

Unfortunately, the hold is for security purposes, and there's no reason to think that Upwork will require less security than it did before. If anything, there will be more scams by both clients and freelancers now.

Thanks for the question, Tarpinder. At the moment, we aren't aware of any plans to reduce the 5-days security period. We'll continue to monitor developments with COVID-19 closely and certainly notify our users about any changes.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi guys,

With the current global situation, is upwork really not making it easier for freelancers in this difficult times?!

They could very well give freelancers a decent amount of connects, let's say 100 a month? As an aid while we're going through this outbreak!

It's time for people to be supportive of each other, not the contrary. Being a freelancer is not easy as it is. This way, they could help us and still keep the standards on the website. I don't see how this could harm the platform in any way.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Jessica S wrote:

With the current global situation, is upwork really not making it easier for freelancers in this difficult times?!

They could very well give freelancers a decent amount of connects, let's say 100 a month? As an aid while we're going through this outbreak!

The thing is: Free connects do not lead to a freelancer winning more jobs. In fact, the opposite is true.

If Upwork wants to help freelancers, it is clients they need to encourage.

When more freelancers have more connects, that just leads to more bids on the (finite) number of jobs, meaning every bid has a lower chance of winning the contract and clients being even more flooded than they are already anyway.

I see what you are saying, but having more connects in the first place allows the freelancer suffering from Covid-19 losses to be considered in the first place. It is certainly still the employer who will decide the best applicant for the job, but at least having connects to be able to make that first contact will get someone's foot "in the door." 

In terms of ways that UpWork could help - I don't think they necessarily would have a way to garner any more clients, but I do think that naturally due to everyone switching to remote work globally, there will be an uptick of both clients and freelancers. 

The bottom line is that clients are likely people who have stable income still, even after Covid-19 impact (and may be experiencing some income loss, sure, but not as drastic as freelancers), but freelancers who suddenly have absolutely no income could really use a small legup in the way of some complimentary connects. 

That being said, I do feel that freelancers who apply for this benefit through UpWork should have to prove their loss of income -- I don't think connects should be passed out to everyone. 

Thank you so much for your answer and feedback, UpWork. I look forward to your response.

Jessica S wrote:

Hi guys,

It's time for people to be supportive of each other, not the contrary. Being a freelancer is not easy as it is. This way, they could help us and still keep the standards on the website. I don't see how this could harm the platform in any way.

100 connects would not help freelancers but spam clients. Asking for it is useless.

You have not been working on the platform for more than a year an I understand you just realized that 60 free connects are history.

Freelancing is always tough and far too many people believe it is like waving a magic wand and you have a gig that takes 2 days and pays as much as a regular job in a month. Well, that is not how it works. I actually believe that most freelancers are in a better situation as contracters at the moment. Around me many people already lost their jobs or expect it to happen any day now. Others have to work from home and take care of their kids at the same time.

Peopla around me are going crazy with cabin fever, while most freelancers are used to work in solitute and are coping much better with the situation.

It is a difficult time for everyone but I seriously encourage freelancers that cannot handle tough situations and iregualar income to use the time to get prepared to apply for a permanent job for AC. There will be more than enough open jobs in the real world.

Jennifer R wrote:

Jessica S wrote:

Hi guys,

100 connects would not help freelancers but spam clients. Asking for it is useless.

You have not been working on the platform for more than a year an I understand you just realized that 60 free connects are history.

Freelancing is always tough and far too many people believe it is like waving a magic wand and you have a gig that takes 2 days and pays as much as a regular job in a month. Well, that is not how it works. I actually believe that most freelancers are in a better situation as contracters at the moment. Around me many people already lost their jobs or expect it to happen any day now. Others have to work from home and take care of their kids at the same time.

Peopla around me are going crazy with cabin fever, while most freelancers are used to work in solitute and are coping much better with the situation.

It is a difficult time for everyone but I seriously encourage freelancers that cannot handle tough situations and iregualar income to use the time to get prepared to apply for a permanent job for AC. There will be more than enough open jobs in the real world.

I agree with Jennifer. I used to work in theatre myself and have many friends who have suddenly had their productions put on hold. Am I encouraging them to join Upwork? Absolutely not. Even at the very best of times, it can take months to land a job here. Many of my friends are getting creative and putting productions online, or taking advantage of the time to write up scripts and sell them as e-books, that kind of thing - I think that these are all much better plans.

As for giving free connects so that freelancers can apply to more jobs... what I'm about to say may sound harsh, but try to look at it from the perspectives of freelancers who have been here for a long time. Let's say that Upwork suddenly shut down and all of us decided that we were going to try to be opera singers instead. We have little or not qualifications for doing so, but we're desperate and will do just about anything for money. Suddenly, hundreds of people start showing up at your auditions; you might be the best person for the role, but whoever is doing the casting gets so sick and tired of wasting their time wading through all of the people with little or no experience, that they give up and shut down the process before they even have a chance to see you, and decide to hold auditions elsewhere. Everybody loses. THAT'S why free connects would be a mistake.

Christine A wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

Jessica S wrote:

Hi guys,

I agree with Jennifer. I used to work in theatre myself and have many friends who have suddenly had their productions put on hold. Am I encouraging them to join Upwork? Absolutely not. Even at the very best of times, it can take months to land a job here. Many of my friends are getting creative and putting productions online, or taking advantage of the time to write up scripts and sell them as e-books, that kind of thing - I think that these are all much better plans.

As for giving free connects so that freelancers can apply to more jobs... what I'm about to say may sound harsh, but try to look at it from the perspectives of freelancers who have been here for a long time. Let's say that Upwork suddenly shut down and all of us decided that we were going to try to be opera singers instead. We have little or not qualifications for doing so, but we're desperate and will do just about anything for money. Suddenly, hundreds of people start showing up at your auditions; you might be the best person for the role, but whoever is doing the casting gets so sick and tired of wasting their time wading through all of the people with little or no experience, that they give up and shut down the process before they even have a chance to see you, and decide to hold auditions elsewhere. Everybody loses. THAT'S why free connects would be a mistake.

If you make a TV show out of it, you might find the Next Talented Top Factor.

It sounds like every company in the world is being affected the Coronavirus Pandemic. Companies and governments are rolling out aid, benefits, tax help, etc.

Will Upwork offer any kind of assistance to its hard working freelancers? 

Stay safe! 

re: "Will Upwork offer any kind of assistance to its hard working freelancers?"

Yes.

Upwork offers all of its freelancers the opportunity to work from home.

Well thought out cheerleader answer Preston.

Working from home is not an answer or positive suggestion.

Im sure Upwork will get some type benefits from the federal government. Why not help your freelancers a bit?

First drop the high commission or toss a few free connects our way.  I'm sure freelancers could use them.

Best Regards.

Is there any relief for those that freelance due to this COVID? What should I be looking into?

I'm talking about 'financial' relief that all of the self-employed are getting? Should I be reaching out to an organization in Colorado?

Teri M wrote:

Is there any relief for those that freelance due to this COVID? What should I be looking into?

Read this 

Teri M wrote:

I'm talking about 'financial' relief that all of the self-employed are getting? Should I be reaching out to an organization in Colorado?

Teri,

Federal one-time emergency relief of about $1200 will be automatic, based on your most recently filed tax year (2018 or 2019).

In addition, the self-employed are eligible, in this crisis, for unemployment benefits. These are administered by states, so contact the relevant Colorado state agency to apply. Regular benefits will be supplemented by an infusion of federal cash, with the expectation of matching one's normal income, or nearly so. State unemployment offices are swamped now; you may want to check the news and/or Colorado's website for details on eligibility and how and when to apply.

In addition, Hayden Brown's email and announcement refers us to a separate relief program organized by Upwork and the Freelancers Union.

Good luck,

Michael

Dear Upwork,

I am unsure of how to contact you directly, but I am reaching out to see if you might be able to grant a one time bundle of complimentary connects to performing artists (who could prove this!) who lost a significant amount of work due to Covid-19? I am desperately seeking remote work after losing thousands of dollars within the course of 3 days. If you were willing to assist the performing artist community this way as we desperately try to pivot to remote work, it would be so deeply appreciated. Please let me know. Thank you so much! 

Alize R wrote:

Dear Upwork,

I am unsure of how to contact you directly, but I am reaching out to see if you might be able to grant a one time bundle of complimentary connects to performing artists (who could prove this!) who lost a significant amount of work due to Covid-19? I am desperately seeking remote work after losing thousands of dollars within the course of 3 days. If you were willing to assist the performing artist community this way as we desperately try to pivot to remote work, it would be so deeply appreciated. Please let me know. Thank you so much! 

Thanks for the question, Alize. The safety and well-being of the Upwork community is our number one priority. At the moment, we aren't aware of any plans to issue free Connects. We'll continue to monitor developments with COVID-19 closely and certainly notify our users if there are any changes. Stay safe!

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Alize R wrote:

Dear Upwork,

I heard that Upwork is giving some freelancers one-time batch of free connects.

This is bad news.

Millions and millions of people have been layed off from their jobs and are scrambling for work on here out of nothing more than desperation. Most have no intention to continue as freelancers after COVID-19.

The desperation is real (or unreal) - I saw jobs getting 50+ proposals within a short period of time.

This is the time to nudge up the price of connects, so people bid with sense.

So clients don't drown in an avalanche of proposals, as they never hire when they do.

Thanks!

Abinadab A wrote:

Alize R wrote:

I am unsure of how to contact you directly, but I am reaching out to see if you might be able to grant a one time bundle of complimentary connects to performing artists (

I heard that Upwork is giving some freelancers one-time batch of free connects.

This is bad news.

This is the time to nudge up price of connects, so people bid with sense.

I totally agree.

erubiel8
Community Member

Hi Upwork

Are you planning to reduce your fees during this season due to CoVid pandemic situation?

As much as I'd like that, being a freelancer myself. I don't see any reason for them to do so because most of the work done here is online and shouldn't really be directly affected by this whole situation.

Ruan N wrote:

As much as I'd like that, being a freelancer myself. I don't see any reason for them to do so because most of the work done here is online and shouldn't really be directly affected by this whole situation.

Haha, what? Have you looked at how the economy has been affected already and most countries are just at the beginning? And how much more competition there is because so many people are locked in at home with no income and flooding onto platforms?

Due to Corona Virus Will, the Job Success Score be paused for the freelancers. 

Bharadhan V wrote:

Due to Corona Virus Will, the Job Success Score be paused for the freelancers. 

Why in the world would it??

Hi Bharadhan,

Thanks for the question. The safety and well-being of the Upwork community is our number one priority. At the moment, we aren't aware of any plans to pause calculating the Job Success Score. We'll continue to monitor developments with COVID-19 closely and certainly notify our users if there are any changes. Stay safe!

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Okay , Thank you.

wali0786
Community Member

Hi, Upwork helping team,

In this situation (COVID-19) can offer by Upwork to allow for the proposal without connects?

petra_r
Community Member

Md W wrote:

Hi, Upwork helping team,

In this situation (COVID-19) can offer by Upwork to allow for the proposal without connects?

That would be insane and mean that freelancers win less jobs, not more. 

I was here long before we had to buy connects. It has NOT helped me to get more jobs, Petra. 

Also, Petra, why do you have to be so rude by calling someone's idea insane? Don't you have any common courtesy to answer questions nicely? I see it as a pattern with you and I find it unsettling. Can't we just be nice to each other? 

Also, Petra, why do you have to be so rude by calling someone's idea insane? Don't you have any common courtesy to answer questions nicely? I see it as a pattern with you and I find it unsettling. Can't we just be nice to each other? 

That's part of her charm.  She's direct BUT also informative and almost always right.  She also doesn't have to spend time responding to question after question (mostly repetitive).  I'm personally grateful she does.  

Robin H wrote:

Also, Petra, why do you have to be so rude 

That's part of her charm.

Really?  I don't see anything charming about rudeness.

She also doesn't have to spend time responding to question after question (mostly repetitive).  

Agreed.  However, that's a choice that fills a need somewhere.

lysis10
Community Member

Anna T wrote:

Robin H wrote:

Also, Petra, why do you have to be so rude 

That's part of her charm.

Really?  I don't see anything charming about rudeness.

She also doesn't have to spend time responding to question after question (mostly repetitive).  

Agreed.  However, that's a choice that fills a need somewhere.

She brings balance **Edited for Community Guidelines**. I'm glad to have her here, because I'd be afraid Upwork would listen to these people. I can't do it even though I agree with her because I'd wind up calling everyone **Edited for Community Guidelines** and get into trouble, so I just sit on the sidelines cheering on my team.

Is UpWork working on a solution to help freelancers close contracts for accounts whose contact is no longer with the company/laid-off? I have several long-term contracts that would crush my JSS if I were to close. And it's heartbreaking to think I won't earn their glowing feedback from some of my highest earning accounts that would have weighed so heavily on my score.

I have closed two this week and was going to strategize closing others slowly but I do feel UpWork should find a balance here considering the circumstances. A lower score makes it even harder to land work right now- which feels almost impossible considering the client to freelance bid ratio right now.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members