🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Competitive rate
Page options
e19fb8bb
Community Member

Competitive rate

Hi guys. What’s a “competitive rate” for graphic designers and social media managers ? I know it depends a lot on experience and more factors but just want to have a general idea of what to set my hourly rate at on the platform. I know my value outside of the platform, but I’m afraid it might be higher than the “competitive rate” on upwork so don’t want to scary employers away. thoughts ?

2 REPLIES 2
celgins
Community Member

The simple answer is, as a graphic designer with 2-5 years of experience, I would not set my hourly rate below $25.00/hour. The minimum rate for a graphic designer with 5+ years of experience should likely be $30.00/hour and the minimum rate for a designer with 10+ years of experience should be $50.00/hour. Just 15 years ago, a graphic designer could demand much higher rates, but technology has changed, and there are so many tools available that make average designers appear spectacular.

For social media managers, rates are also based on experience. I see social media managers billing between $50.00/hour - $150.00/hour, but that often includes more than just social media management. For example, many freelancers will provide social media management and include custom content creation, funneling, video creation, or other marketing/PR work.

With that said, even if you are new to Upwork, your hourly rate should mirror your real-world qualifications. There is no reason to devalue your expertise to be competitive. I think you should charge clients what you are worth. Good clients appreciate quality and most will pay for it.

Clark, with all due respect, where are these numbers coming from? How have you landed there? These numbers don't mean anything. You can't just give someone a range without understanding the context. 

Every situation is different. Living in the US is different to living in the Netherlands. $30/h might be enough in some countries and not in others. 

These numbers and statements would not apply to everyone. 

Monica, set an hourly rate that fits your personal experience and covers your needs. If freelancing is your only income you need to consider the rent, expenses on food, electricity, insurance, and internet in your city/town. This might be different to Clark's expenses. Add the Upwork fee on top of your hourly rate. Add the amount of dollars you want to be able to save up. You need to consider the dry seasons when you can't get a client and still need to pay your daily expenses. $30/h might be enough or might be too little. 

But lowering your rates just for the sake of it is not going to help you get better clients. A higher rate definitely does scare some clients, but not others. You need to consider your personal situation. 

Hope that helps.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members