cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Confused by Posting

mlong01
Moniqueca L Member Since: Sep 7, 2016
1 of 6

I had a client reach out to my with a proposal. The details were unclear, however, I still decided to pursue it.
They requested that I email them, which at the time made sense to me.

The emails that I received were written poorly and didn't directly address any of my questions. 
I requested to Skype to gain clarity on the project and that was completely avoided. Instead, I received an extremely long email about the duty of purchasing items online and some in-person duties. At the end, they requested for my personal information (mailing address) so that they could mail me a "weekly check."

At this point, I was inclined to let this offer go. 

While checking UpWork today, I noticed that they declined the offer, although they were attempting to pursue the offer via email.

I'm new to Upwork, and I'm sure that I won't be sending my personal information to anyone. However, I was wondering if this is something that should be reported or am I perhaps over-reacting.

Thanks for your insights.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 6

re: " I received an extremely long email about the duty of purchasing items online and some in-person duties. At the end, they requested for my personal information (mailing address) so that they could mail me a weekly check."

This is a scam and it is asking you to do things (including receive checks instead of getting paid through Upwork) that violate Upwork ToS and could lead to your suspension from Upwork.

Stop communicating with these people. They are only wasting your time. There is no money to be earned with that "job."

prestonhunter
Community Guru
3 of 6

re: "The emails that I received were written poorly..."

I have earned plenty of money through Upwork working for people who were poor writers or who had a weak command of the English language. So I don't automatically disregard possible work from people who make errors in their writing.

But nobody ever makes any money from "clients" who ask them to buy software or pay fees. That's the OPPOSITE of why we (as contractors) are here.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
4 of 6

Hi Moniqueca,

Please, note that offering and accepting payments outside of Upwork is a serious violation of the ToS. You can read more about it here. It sounds like the job has already been removed from the marketplace for that reason. You were right to let it go.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

mlong01
Moniqueca L Member Since: Sep 7, 2016
5 of 6

Thanks for your quick feedback.

Preston, great tip about the writing from the client. I would usually assume that those were more skeptical. I will keep that in mind.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
6 of 6

re: "I would usually assume that those were more skeptical. I will keep that in mind."

You're right to be skeptical. LOTS of scammers send emails or chat messages which are very poorly written.

I'm just saying that it's not always the case that poorly written communication is a sign of a scammer. If there are no other indications (e.g., asking you to get paid by check or trying to trick you into working for free), then I don't worry about their writing skill.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS