🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Connects are too high. Is it even worth it wo...
Page options
9caa054d
Community Member

Connects are too high. Is it even worth it working in upwork?

I been working in upwork since pandemic and built quite a good reputation with 100% JSS. 
but at the moment I don't feel like applying for work and continuing working upwork is worth it. 
1. Connects are too high to apply for jobs now. I used to remember when i used to apply for jobs for 4-6 connects. now a website design costs 40-60 connects to get some attention. 

2. Buying connects is also high. 

3. Also upwork takes 10% (corrected) cut from the project price. 

So what I am seeing is it's a win win situation for upwork as they sell both connects and also takes a commission from the payment. There's is so much supply of talent and very less jobs, the whole system is not sustainable if someone is looking to put 40 hours or full time into upwork. 

this is just my humble thoughts. Please share your opinions also. 🙂 God bless. 

8 REPLIES 8
spectralua
Community Member

10% but not 20%. 

corrected 🙂 

72bd2fc5
Community Member

broo ive never got a job here since. Anything i might be doing wrong?

williamtcooper
Community Member

Upwork is the most effective freelancer site available.

If a freelancer can't be successful here, then another form of work should be considered.

The site is very competitive because there are 4 million active freelancers to 850,000 clients.

fred-derf
Community Member

About the number of "connects" and the cost involved. 

Before I was led to the exit door at my broadcasting job there was a cost to apply for jobs. One had to submit a tape, or later, a DVD. Postage for tapes cost more than the 19 connects, or whatever it is up to now. Oh yes, having a nice résumé prepared cost a few too.

Now to show the unbalance here on this site:

Those who post jobs do not have to pay a fee. In the days of sending tapes the broadcasters would spend a bunch to advertise in the trade magazines. And yes, serious candidates were first interviewed [most of the time long-distance $$; not "collect"].

I had the pleasure of a prospective employer paying for round-trip airfare; rental car; three days in a nice hotel with room service. My guess it cost over $2000. 

We freelancers are not respected nor valued by Upwork. 

I was so "thrilled" to receive 10 "connects, 'free'" recently. 

"There's is so much supply of talent and very less jobs,..."

Many believe that is by design. 

It has been said this site has millions of freelancers yes the number of talent seekers runs about 18%. It's a poor business model in relation to the Upwork commercials that tout the "amazing/quality" talent here.

Yes, there are extremely creative, talented, experienced professionals here, but one has to weed through the shiploads of unqualified hobbyists.

Upwork is billing itself as an agency [commercials] with a service to sell: freelancers. A resource. 

Imagine a car repair shop in its video commercials touting its mechanics' skills. Do the customers pay [talent seekers], or do the mechanics ["freelancers"]?

A few years back Upwork had a "house cleaning" program where freelancers who did not meet a certain number of jobs were removed. Perhaps there were some who stomped and fussed over such "unfairness" by doing such. Tsk, tsk. That's life! That's reality. 

Instead, .why not take your talents, or whatever and audition for Shark TankOver 26,000 apply per year  about 90 make the show. 😮

There are over 120 platforms. Upwork is the largest, but there are many excellent platforms, where scams are rare, the clients expect to pay well, and the fees, before and after jobs, are transparent. With 20 million freelancers (no one knows the exact number and many are not active) and 850,000 clients, the platform is inundated with scammers on both sides. With the removal of all limits and testing, literally anyone can claim to be anyone.

With all of the freelancers demanding free connects and guarantees of a job, can you imagine the screaming and whining if Upwork had another "house cleaning"?

"...can you imagine the screaming and whining if Upwork had another "house cleaning"?"

Probably much louder and more intense than when I went through the "house cleaning" at my full-time broadcasting job years ago.

The company was downsizing, eliminating over 30% of the positions. We just went on our way searching for jobs. I started freelancing. A little slow at first; having to support my family, then things picked up and landed some good clients locally [two have since moved away; two are out of business].

Then I was given info about the site eLance. Here I had to do what all the hobbyist-type freelancers have to do, along with the others who think freelancing is a gold mine: start at the bottom...searching for jobs; submitting proposals. It took a few months before I got my first job, was at only $14/hr. Very low for my expertise but necessary. It took about a year before I was making satisfactory progress.

Many FLs want good money right now and with no effort. I saw some youtube ads where lyers said that easy money here. Thats why many newbies registering and wasting money with no results. It is great that you know whats happenig. But most of FLs dont know and wont know. Them just want own $3000 for pdf-to-word 3 pages conversion.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members