🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Connects!
Page options
jitbd
Community Member

Connects!

Hi,

When we submit proposals, we have to spend money buy purchasing connects. Sometimes some of the clients are not hiring anyone but closing the job. This is how we are losing our money.

Should we stop submitting proposals?

Regards,

Md Khorshed Alam

8 REPLIES 8
filip_knezevic
Community Member

Isn't it up to you to answer that rhetorical question of yours?  🙂

On the other hand, you managed to secure some jobs. There are many others that are paying for connects and never landed a single job. 

Plus do you really want ten times more applications for every job? 

I think paying for connects gives us better chances to win jobs, as less people are competing for jobs. But again, it might be just me.

petra_r
Community Member

Md Khorshed A wrote:

Should we stop submitting proposals?

If you are not winning enough jobs to make it worth your while, then yes, you should stop submitting proposals.

You haven't won a contract since September, so maybe it's time. Only you can decide how you run your business.

jitbd
Community Member

Hi,
My question is when a client runs away without hiring anyone, all of we are
losing our money because of connects are not free.
If a client does not hire anyone, then he should pay back our connects
price. Or Upwork should back ours connects.
petra_r
Community Member

Md Khorshed A wrote:

My question is when a client runs away without hiring anyone, 

Funny, I could have sworn that your question was whether you should stop sending proposals.

jitbd
Community Member

Funny!?
Clients have the right to leave without hiring anyone. Then we should get
back our connects, isn't?
petra_r
Community Member

Md Khorshed A wrote:
Clients have the right to leave without hiring anyone. 

Of course they do. 

Md Khorshed A wrote:
Then we should get back our connects, isn't?

"Isn't"

When you go into a shop and leave without buying anything, the shop owner doesn't get their rent, money for advertising, fees, price of goods, electricity etc back either.

The few Cents for Connects are an insignificant cost of doing business, factor them into your business expenses.

If you can't win jobs, then it's time to call it a day.

As the name implies, "Connects" are a fee for connecting with (ie submitting a proposal to) a potential client. You submitted your proposal and paid the fee for doing so. Why do you expect to get that fee back afterwards?

Unfortunately, Upwork has muddied the water by giving back connects under certain limited circumstances. Acording to Petra this was originally just a bug. So the best thing is not to expect any connects back, and, if you do happen to receive some, then consider that a lucky bonus.

In any case, however you look at it, those are Upwork's rules. If they change them at all, I think they're more likely to get rid of connect refunds altogether than to increase them.

Richard W wrote:

Unfortunately, Upwork has muddied the water by giving back connects under certain limited circumstances. Acording to Petra this was originally just a bug.

That's according to Upwork, I only repeated the information, and this was only for getting them back when a client closes the job without hiring anyone.

The refunding of connects when Upwork cancels the job post for policy violations has always been intended behaviour, and that's fair enough too.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members