Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contact info sharing policy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tanzeel Z Member Since: May 26, 2015
1 of 20

Hi, everyone!

I just joined this community with a few questions. I recently started working on the upwork and I am receiving ongoing work. Here are a few things that I want to ask:

1. I have never received an email about the job, messages, or interview invitations. Is that how it goes?

2. What do you do when a client asks for your email? What is the Odesk policy in this regard? I obviously have no contact information on my profile, but I have received invitations about interview via hangout or skype. How do we do that? Previously, I have worked at freelancer.com. Freelancer.com suspends your account if you share the email address or skype with anyone. Does it happen in the same manner on Odesk? All of my clients share their email with me. 

I am looking forward to honest replies from this community. I tried to contact the Upwork administration, but the contact form was not working properly. 

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

S.K.Andaleeb.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 20

re: "What do you do when a client asks for your email? What is the Odesk policy in this regard?"

It is totally fine for you to share your email address, Skype handle, phone number, etc., with clients.

You can't put that information in your profile, and you already know that and you are compliant with Upwork policy.

I find there is no reason to share contact multiple methods of contact information with clients prior to actually being hired. But a client may legitimately want to talk to you by phone or via Skype as part of an interview process.

I don't think it is a good idea to provide an email address to a client prior to being hired, because any questions a potential client has for you that he wants to ask via email can be asked via the Upwork message system.

After being hired, some clients prefer to use email. If they are a legitimate, trustworthy client, that is fine. It is certainly not against Upwork policy.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 20

re: "I tried to contact the Upwork administration, but the contact form was not working properly."

Never try asking a general question by contacting Upwork administration. You should always search for the information in Upwork's posted manuals and information documents or post the question in the community forum.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tanzeel Z Member Since: May 26, 2015
4 of 20

Thank you very much for this detailed answer. 

Highlighted
Prerna B Member Since: Mar 30, 2017
5 of 20

That means it's fine to share your skypeid or directly connect to client via skype. 

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 20

That's correct, Prerna, you can connect with a client through Skype once they invited you for an interview. It's recommended though that you still record main terms and conditions in Upwork Messages. Also, it's important that all payments are made on Upwork.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Saravana K Member Since: May 27, 2017
7 of 20

Hi,

I have shared the email Id with my client to share some Product information in mail since we don't option to share those information in upwork. What are the methods to work with this. 

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
8 of 20

Hi Saravana,

You can share information with your client through email. However, its best to submit all work and contract negotiations through the Upwork platform and Messages. This way your communication is easily documented in case an issue arises. 

Untitled
Highlighted
Brandy J Member Since: Sep 5, 2017
9 of 20

Hi!  

I found your answer while looking for TOS on Skype contact.  I have been requested for an interview, but there is no client photo (not sure if this is normal yet - new to Upwork); also, the skype address is not the same name of the person reaching out to me.  

Would it seem strange or alarming if their company policy on allows text communication via Skype for documentation purposes?  

Thanks!  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
10 of 20

@Brandy J wrote:

Hi!  

I found your answer while looking for TOS on Skype contact.  I have been requested for an interview, but there is no client photo (not sure if this is normal yet - new to Upwork); also, the skype address is not the same name of the person reaching out to me.  

Would it seem strange or alarming if their company policy on allows text communication via Skype for documentation purposes?  

Thanks!  

Please read this very current Skype thread that addresses your question in general, plus has some other info about using Skype safely.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Skype-Interview/m-p/396374#M241834

And specifically, re your question: Sometimes a company will have a more then 1 person involved with hiring. In fact, right now I work for a Digital Agency, and the owner has given me Hire access. So I might respond to prospective freelancers, or he might. 

And no, many company's use Skype for interviews and text communication. REMEMBER: its not the tool, but the information that you provide that is the issue.

If you would not give a piece of info to a person who showed up, out of the blue, at your doorstep, then it's not a piece of information you would give a prospective client.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS