🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contract but No Work
Page options
thompsontiara
Community Member

Contract but No Work

I am new to Upwork and this is my first contract. I was hired by my client for an ongoing post but after doing the first set of tasks set by then, they haven't given me more work so I cannot clock any hours to earn any money. It has been almost a full month since I've been contracted and I've only worked 3 hours and that was in the first week. Should I just terminate the contract?
2 REPLIES 2
aliharvey
Community Member

This happens. I don't think they realize that hourly contracts without work are kind of a dead weight, depending on how you plan out your day. 

What I usually do is send them an email checking in, asking if there is anything else I can do to help them. If they don't respond, I usually send another message that's a little firmer, requesting that, if there's nothing else they need from me, they terminate the contract. With these kinds of messages, I always make sure to include a note that they are welcome to contact me again next time they need help. 

Honestly, hourly contracts are my least favorite because of how I organize my schedule. But everyone works with them differently. As you move forward, you will come up with your own strategies. 

tlsanders
Community Member

You could, or you could just leave it open and see what happens. No real downside to either.

You could also send the client a message (if you haven't already been following up with them) and let them know that since it's been however long since you heard from them, you're going to go ahead and close the contract but would be happy to work with them again in the future if they need your help (if that part is true)

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members