🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contractual agreements
Page options
Community Member

Contractual agreements

Hi

we are looking to outsource work through upwork but I have questions in regards to contractual agreements. Do I have to provide the freelancer with a contractor agreement with our company or is everything handled through upwork?

Also what about Data Protection / IP / Confidentiality etc. These are all clauses usually covered in our individual agreements. Is that covered through upwork ?

I understand how the process works in terms of account creation, job posting etc but that part around contracts / agreements is unclear to me.

Thanks. Judith

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Do I have to provide the freelancer with a contractor agreement with our company?"

You do not need to provide any contracts. Default contacts are already in place.

re: "or is everything handled through upwork?"

Yes.

Everything is handled through Upwork.

re: "Also what about Data Protection / IP / Confidentiality etc. These are all clauses usually covered in our individual agreements. Is that covered through upwork ?"

That is already covered through Upwork.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Do I have to provide the freelancer with a contractor agreement with our company?"

You do not need to provide any contracts. Default contacts are already in place.

re: "or is everything handled through upwork?"

Yes.

Everything is handled through Upwork.

re: "Also what about Data Protection / IP / Confidentiality etc. These are all clauses usually covered in our individual agreements. Is that covered through upwork ?"

That is already covered through Upwork.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

UW has default contracts in place, along with policies governing data protection, confidentiality, etc. But that doesn't mean the terms meet your standards. In your shoes, I would review them and if they don't, then have any FL you hire sign off on your docs as well.

You can read the default contract language here:

https://www.upwork.com/legal#optional-service-contract-terms

I assume that most clients and most freelancers have not read this.

You are not required to read this. But you are welcome to read it if you want to be more informed about what you and the freelancer agree to when you set up a contract with a freelancer on Upwork.

You may also ask questions here in the Forum if you wonder about how things work or what will happen when you hire a freelancer.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths