cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with profile feedback gaps!

mwarburton

Hi Guys,

This is part rant, part question to Upwork's reps, and part question to the community. 

Every time I secure a handful of jobs, it seems that around 30% of these clients disappears from contact at some point, leaves the contract open, and never provides feedback. 

I do the work successfully, they want to keep me at hand so they keep the contract open, but months later when I get back to them there is no response. I have to manually close the contracts, and end up with no feedback for a job well done. It is a reoccuring problem, and it leaves my profile looking bare. 

I'm wondering, why doesn't Upwork have an easy way to remove small contracts that have no feedback from my profile? It is a client's responsibility to provide this feedback, so if they don't why am I left to suffer the consequences? What can be done to change this?

And to freelancers I ask, how do you personally deal with this issue? Any tips or tricks to help the feedback process go smoothly, and lessen the negative potential of having loads of gaps?

Cheers,

Matt

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Guru

It boils down to running your business, managing clients and managing contracts.

If you communicate effectively you can minimise this happening by getting clients to end the contract as soon as the work is done. You can explain to them that they will always have you "at hand" anyway, under their Freelancers - Past Hires tab. It takes a couple of mouseclicks to get there and click on the great big green REHIRE button right next to your name.

That way you'll rarely end up with contracts in a coma or contracts you have to end yourself.

The best time to get a contract successfully closed with great feedback is RIGHT after you impressed the hell out of the client with the work you submitted.

Weeks or months later they may hardly remember who you are or how impressed they were.....

PS, you have hardly any "no feedback" contracts... I don't see where you find it problematic?

"It boils down to running your business, managing clients and managing contracts." - I have been successfully running my business for several years, with a 100% job success rating, but thanks - apart from that opening I completely agree with the advice give, so thanks a lot. You've got me thinking that I should be more on the ball with closing it down as soon as work is done. 

But... usually, the client says that they will be back with more work soon, and any attempts to follow up are ignored. It has happened many times, despite my best efforts. But I do agree with you, and will apply that advice. 

Has it ever happened to you then Petra? Or have you no profile gaps to speak of? Clean sheet? 

Matthew W wrote: 

Has it ever happened to you then Petra? Or have you no profile gaps to speak of? Clean sheet? 

Sure, it happens, but it does not matter to have the occasional "no feedback" contract in a sea of great reviews, so I don't actually worry or even think about it!

Yeah, I mean your profile looks great and I can't actually see a gap. 

I don't so much worry about it, but I do understand the value of my reputation, and with 5-6 inactive contracts currently to deal with, I feel that it definately can be a problem. I will have to leak these one at a time inbetween other jobs, so that I don't end up with 5 jobs in a row with no feedback!

Cheers for your help!

@Matthew W wrote:

Yeah, I mean your profile looks great and I can't actually see a gap. 

There was one in November 🙂 and there will be another next week. Try and stagger them, closing the oldest first, then a few with feedback, close the next and so on.

I find it problematic because these type of contracts seem to build up - because of the lack of communication and the unwillingness of the client to play ball. So rather than getting the occasional one odd-job with a gap, I end up with certain times where I just have five or six pretty much inactive contracts, which I then have to strategically close down and try to drown out with other feedback. 

I raised the issue today because right now I find myself in that situation. I have messaged a few of these clients, and had no response. So I am about to have to leak these gaps from my 'jobs in progress' onto my profile.

But yeah, I agree that in future I just need to always shut them down, and let the client reopen them if needed. 

So final part of the query... is there actually any way to hide these gaps? 

Cheers,

Matt

@Matthew W wrote:

So final part of the query... is there actually any way to hide these gaps? 

There is, but you won't like it: Refund in full, and it vanishes without a trace.

But seriously, you have so few, l don't think you really need to be too concerned!

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Matt,

Please note that your clients can easily rehire you once they need your services again, so there's no need to keep a completed contract open for that reason. 

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS