🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Dear Upwork, why aren't connects refunded is ...
Page options
sophwalker
Community Member

Dear Upwork, why aren't connects refunded is no-one is hired?

Dear Upwork, I know this has been brought up before, but now we have to pay for connects they're more precious than ever. Therefore, if a client decides to abandon the job and hires no-one, could there be a way that people are reimbursed the connects?

It would be a much-welcomed gesture. Thank you for consideration.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062898-Use-Connects

10 REPLIES 10
joansands
Community Member

Soph - Your suggestion has been brought up ad nauseum. It isn't going to happen. Upwork has too many freelancers and I believe they are trying to reduce the number of proposals that clients receive.

Joan S wrote:

Soph - Your suggestion has been brought up ad nauseum.

That spelling error has been committed ad nauseam. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

65dab6ce
Community Member

We all wish but...what Joan said.

florydev
Community Member

Soph P wrote:

Dear Upwork, I know this has been brought up before, but now we have to pay for connects they're more precious than ever. Therefore, if a client decides to abandon the job and hires no-one, could there be a way that people are reimbursed the connects?

It would be a much-welcomed gesture. Thank you for consideration.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062898-Use-Connects

I suspect it is because you are not paying for the oppurtunity to be hired but instead for the ability to propose.  Your proposal is not guaranteed.  

If the client is scamming you get your credits back.

If the client declares their intent not to hire anyone, you get your connects back.

If the client declares their intent not to hire anyone, you get your connects back.

I just wish clients were properly educated that if they don't hire, please CLOSE THE JOB!  Do us all the favor and return our connects!

Perhaps notification once a job is posted and then every 30 days thereafter....

Mark F wrote:

I suspect it is because you are not paying for the oppurtunity to be hired but instead for the ability to propose. 

THIS ^^^^^

Fantastic way to think about it!

Mark F wrote:

I suspect it is because you are not paying for the oppurtunity to be hired but instead for the ability to propose.  

This.

I've posted jobs before where I've ended up not hiring. Not because I changed my mind, but because none of the proposals I got were good enough. Also, since I would still like to hire there is no reason for me to close the job, so I'll rather let it expire on its own.

Thats funny.
If we are speaking for some areas maybe you are right.
**Edited for community guidelines**
But I didnt knew that for example for data entry jobs that are paid 5 $ and clients get over 50 proposals including people that have several years of experience and in the end no one is hired.
So pls stop blaming others!

8283fd89
Community Member

Soph, big tech companies are not here to help you generate a sustainable income. Rather, they exist to generate as much revenue and profit as possible, while exploiting fresh young talent like yourself.

Forcing freelancers to pay for connects is just one of many revenue streams for UpWork. Therefore, never in their right mind will they be returning money to the freelancer. To them, it’s like throwing cash out the window.

But according to some, “uPwOrK iS lOsInG mOnEy!”

Wrong. I checked their 2019-Q4 review and they generated 23% more profit than the previous quarter. Probably thanks to all those non-refundable connects.

23% more PROFIT, or 23% more REVENUE? Those are very, very different. (Don't worry--that's not a real question. I already know the answer.)

I haven't actually seen Q4 numbers and am curious where you did. In each of the first three quarters of 2019, Upwork posted significant losses. So, it remains to be seen whether a 23% increase in revenue will bring them up to 0.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths