🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Delayed "Invite-Only" scam
Page options
williambernal
Community Member

Delayed "Invite-Only" scam

To all UW FL's-

Please be aware of the delayed "Invite-Only" scam.

This is where a client originaly posts their job as "Open" to all FL's but then 48-72 hours later--and AFTER collectiing numerous proposals (and many, many Connects)--changes their job to "Invite-Only".

The Upwork Terms of Use clearly states regarding-

4. PROHIBITED SITE USES-

"4.1 EXAMPLES OF PROHIBITED USES OF THE SITE"

Fraudulent or misleading uses or content, including: misrepresenting your experience, skills, or INFORMATION"

Clearly, misrepresenting your job as "Open" and then later changing it to "Invite-Only" (only AFTER collecting numerous proposals) is misleading at best, fraudulent at worst. Quite obviously, no experienced FL would ever bother to bid on an "Invite-Only" gig, but if you report this to UW's "Help and Support" center you'll likely receive the following reply-

"Please note that it is not a violation of our terms of service if the client opts to change the job post's visibility from public to and invitation only jobs.  It only means that they opted to initiate invitations moving forward and will no longer be receiving proposals initiated by freelancers."

Report these frauds and then say goodbye to your connects.

Thanks again UW Help & Support!

2 REPLIES 2
martina_plaschka
Community Member

I see nothing nefarious going on here. The client might have enough proposals and does not wish to receive more, but may not wish to close the job posting just yet. You are insinuating that the client does this to make freelancers use their connects, I'm guessing. I don't see what benefit that is to the client, 

petra_r
Community Member

william b wrote:

Please be aware of the delayed "Invite-Only" scam.

This is where a client originaly posts their job as "Open" to all FL's but then 48-72 hours later--and AFTER collectiing numerous proposals (and many, many Connects)--changes their job to "Invite-Only".

That is no scam at all. And clients don't get connects!

When I post a job, I set it to private (invite only) when I have a number of freelancers I like the look of, to go through all the proposals and make a shortlist to see who I want to interview.

When a job is set to invite only nobody CAN see it or apply to it. So nobody WOULD waste any connects.

If I don't hire anyone from my shortlist, I set it to public again. If I have chosen someone from that initial shortlist, I close the job post.

There is nothing misleading or scammy or in any way suspicious about this. Setting the job post to private (invite only) doesn't mean invited people get hired. It simply removes the job post from the job feed so no more proposals come in. The people who have already applied are still in the running (unless they've been declined of course).

Sometimes clients get so many proposals they feel overwhelmed and need time to catch up with the proposals they already have before accepting more. I once posted a job for a logo and had to set it to private several times just to sort through the proposals.

william b wrote:

Report these frauds and then say goodbye to your connects.

No, don't report it because there is nothing to report.

I think you misunderstand what it means when you see a job that has been set to private (invite only). It LITERALLY simply means no more freelancers will or can apply because it's not in the feed anymore. It doesn't mean anyone will be invited or that an invited person will get hired- It merely hides the job post.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members