mackmoore

Displaying a Nickname in my Profile?

My professional clients know me by my nickname "Mack"; yet your state ID verification changed my display name to my legal name. How do I display my nickname? I prefer Mack Moore or Terence "Mack" Moore. If I can't change my legal name as displayed in your system, is there an optional field where I can enter my nickname? Please advise. Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cupidmedia

You could "sign off" your profile text/proposals with your nickname, so that your clients know what to call you.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Terence,

Your name on Upwork account should be your real legal name. Unfortunately, you won't be able to use a nickname as your Upwork profile name.

~ Valeria
Upwork

There really should be a way to use your nickname, especially in messages back & forth to a client. In my current Upwork contract, my client continuously mistakes my first name with what I told the I go by, my middle name. When you @ someone in messages, it makes that an even more confusing situation. This usually happens with every client where there is more than myself and one other person in the messages.

cupidmedia

You could "sign off" your profile text/proposals with your nickname, so that your clients know what to call you.

Thank you. That's helpful.

I can't think of any client in the world who would be more likely to hire "Mack" versus "Terence."

If you want to be called "Mack," just say so.

Lots of people have more than one name. People understood that "Dwight D. Eisenhower" and "Ike" were the same person. John F. Kennedy went by "Jack." Sometimes its time to use an "official legal" name (such as at the top of an Upwork profile page), even if it's a name that is used infrequently among friends and colleagues.

That sort of assessment was not sought. I have more experience with how clients react to my name than anyone else could. The answer diverts from the Upwork-related question asked. 

Today I was fired from a job for appearing to be dishonest when I accidentally started to answer the phone with my nickname instead of my legal name which Upwork forces you to use. I think there really should be a way to display both, such as First (Nickname) Last so we appear to be honest people. It's not uncommon to have two names.