🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Dispute for a paid test
Page options
lascap_01
Community Member

Dispute for a paid test

How in the world does a paid test can be refund to a client after saying positive comments about it?where is the line of descency? this is totaly wrong, Upwork is sending the wrong message to this community, being so protective of their clients is bad

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

Let's be clear about these things:

Upwork SHOULD be protective of clients. Upwork SHOULD be very client-centric and do everything possible to ensure that clients have a positive experience while using the site.

But if a client hires a freelancer to do some work (whether that work is referred to as a "paid test" or anything else), then the client needs to pay that freelancer for that work. If a client does not, then it means that the client is a bad client and a bad person. If a client hires someone to do work, and then doesn't pay for that work, it means the client is a thief.

Positive comments are irrelevent.

If a client hires you to draw a picture of a cat, then the client needs to pay you. If the client says "that's a great picture", then the client needs to pay you. If the client does NOT say anything positive, the client still needs to pay you. If the client says something negative ("I hate cats!" or "You are a terrible artist!"), then the client STILL needs to pay.

The client won the dispute and got his refund, I have no clue of what went wrong, this is not acceptable, Upwork exposed their decision without a clear explaination, it's not about the money it's a small amount 

It's about basic business relationship that is in danger here, how will we improve trust in our clients with this behaviour?

Pascal S wrote:

The client won the dispute and got his refund?

It sounds like the client got their money and so did you, no?

In mediation, nobody "wins" the dispute unless the other party gives up, or the sum is so small that Upwork decide it's not worth their while to mediate it, and pay the freelancer out of their own pocked.

Thank you Petra, I still don't know how it will end for me exactly, so if I understand this means a client can hire a freelancer for a small job, retract himself for whatever reason and get a refund?

I don't do paid tests, ever, because they have the potential of going not-so-great for all but one freelancer....

dsmgdesign
Community Member

Pascal, 

I've been seeing alot of this lately, and it concerns me greatly IF clients can dispute at any time for any reason and get all of their money back. I don't know if this is what is happening here, or if this is really what is happening on Upwork at all. Can you tell us the specifics? Did they get all of it back? Was it a fixed price job or hourly? 

David S M wrote:

I've been seeing alot of this lately, and it concerns me greatly IF clients can dispute at any time for any reason and get all of their money back. I don't know if this is what is happening here

Upwork does not decide disputes in favour of one party or another.

It sounds like they saved themselves the hassle and expense of a mediation over a small amount and gave the client the escrow funds, and the freelancer as well just to get rid of the issue.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members