Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doubt about Job Success

Highlighted
Manuel M Member Since: Mar 17, 2016
1 of 11

Hi Community,

This is the story: I just had a client who wanted me to post a review for his company on TripAdvisor, I did, then a few days later I received an e-mail from TripAdvisor saying they had reasonable cause to believe that my account was submitting reviews on TripAdvisor in exchange for payment and that kind of practice was against their rules (it was the 1st time I did that). So, the review was deleted from the website and then the client was upset because of that, I explained him that I didn't delete the review and that I thought it was his fault for not knowing the website rules (actually, I did my job). After all, I decided to refund his money and that way we didn't have any problem.

Here is my doubt: Does the money refund affects my Job Succes Score? I just got 75% and I've done 3 jobs succesfully.

I'm new here, and I'm trying hard to get recognition in order to get more jobs.

Kind regards,

Manuel

Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 11

The refund itself is not important, the feedback the client gives is. If I can (somewhat) paraphrase Petra in her many answers to similar questions:

Refund + bad review = hit to JSS

No refund + bad review = hit to JSS

From the answers I've seen in these forums, most people won't give a refund because it doesn't make any difference on the JSS.

Make sure you read the Upwork TOS though. It is against the rules to violate the TOS of other sites (for example, paid reviews on Trip Advisor).

Someone else with a bit more experience in this might be able to answer with more authority.

3 of 11

Hi Lisa,

I know it is my responsability also for not knowing that kind of rules, that's why I decided to refund his money. After all, it was just 4$. There is a saying in my country "Lo barato sale caro" (Cheap things at last are expensive things).

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
4 of 11

You should submit a support ticket reporting the client, he has violated the Upwork policies by soliciting the job. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 11

lol spam jobs are funny

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
6 of 11

Hi Manuel, 

Thank you for sharing your experience to the community. I recommend that you report the client to our Support Team with screenshots of your communication with the client and with Trip Advisor as the job is a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service - violating the terms and conditions of other websites. 

To reiterate what Diana has mentioned in this thread, clients who violate Upwork policies can be reported and we do exclude them from all Job Success Score calculations.

Avery

-Avery
Untitled
7 of 11

Hi Avery,

Thanks for your response. I wil report the client to the Support Team then, probbably there is a lot of people getting paid for that kind of jobs (as there were about 30 proposals for that job).

Best regards.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 11

The bottom line, Manuel, is that you accepted money to review a place on TripAdvisor... A place that you didn't really go to. You got caught. Kudos to TripAdvisor for the level of sophistication in their system that they were able to catch you doing this. They said that you were writing reviews for money. That is exactly what you were doing.

if you play with fire, don't be surprised if you get burned.

9 of 11

Hi Preston,

Thanks for your response. Yes, even though I wasn't aware of that kind of policies, I assume my responsability, that's why I decided to refund his money once I received the TripAdvisor Notification. 

Best regards.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 11

re: "Does the money refund affects my Job Succes Score?"

What you have if you refund 100% of the money is a zero-pay contract.

A zero-pay contract can NOT have any public feedback on your profile page.

A single zero-pay contract might not have a negative effect on your job success score.

But I believe a pattern of zero-pay contracts WILL lower your JSS, regardless of what kinds of reasons are associated with these outcomes.

Keep in mind that zero-pay contracts represent use of Upwork resources, and possible ill will by clients, yet no revenue whatsoever for Upwork. It only makes sence that Upwork would want to minimize these outcomes, which it regards as negative.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS