🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » *Edited* - I've been scammed
Page options
lernice-parker
Community Member

*Edited* - I've been scammed

I am relatively new to Upwork and received a project from the above asking me to convert and type a document from PDF to Word. Being desperate for money, I quickly said yes and typed out a 100 page document for these fools only to get to the end and complete it within their timeframe for them to ask me for $100 afterwards.

When I mentioned I don't have the money, the person I was speaking to started getting aggravated and angry. Blocked me now on Telegram. 

How do I report this to Upwork?

Will I get paid for this project or is this just a lost cause?

How do I move forward and can I? 

110 REPLIES 110
31a536a7
Community Member

Hi I am new to Upwork I got a project of data entry from**Edited for community guidelines**Just done my work going to submit tomorrow.Can any one let me know whether it is a good project or not.I tried to connect with Upwork support but didn't connected.

corati
Community Member

Did you communicate with them through Telegram?

12c97a58
Community Member

hi thank you so much ,i think we have the same problem but i was really curious why the payment is to high so i research the  company and found out there  are so many  scammers who portray the company .  thank god i didnt do and research first i was really naive.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

elisa_b
Community Member

I managed to see your screenshots before they are taken down (because they will be).

You have been smart enough not to fall for this scam, but you made mistakes nonetheless.

1. You talked to them outside of Upwork: this is forbidden before a contract is in place.
  2. The same thing goes for sharing your personal e-mail address.

Additional red lights:
The rate offered is out of this world, especially when there is absolutely no evidence of you being a translator on your profile, you have a questionable profile description and no work experience. If something seems too good to be true, then maybe it isn't?

Please be more cautious in the future and read carefully this:

Top Red Flags for Scams: From Community Membe... - Upwork Community

To all freelancers looking for help - Upwork Community

technician1
Community Member

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a negative experience on Upwork. It's important to report any fraudulent activity to Upwork so they can take appropriate action. As for getting paid for the project, it's best to reach out to Upwork support for guidance on how to proceed. Don't let this discourage you from continuing to pursue opportunities on the platform. There are many legitimate clients out there looking for talented freelancers like yourself. Keep at it!

Why do you feel confident giving ChatGPT advice when you have no Upwork experience?

There is no reason to bother Upwork support about how to get paid. The lack of even the most basic effort to be a freelancer is the problem. You have never been paid, because you have never been hired. Yet, here you are, giving "advice" when you have no experience. Unbelievable, and wrong.

51cb09a7
Community Member

It happens to me too.... BUT THEY CONTACT ME BY UPWORK!!!  he sent me a link to contact in an Upwork e-mail.

51cb09a7_0-1685290005843.png

I thought it was the way...fortunately I read my e-mail today!! Upwork sent me another e-mail telling me they remove the proporsal from the website.

I was really confused, but I google the names they gave to me and I found this Forum!!! Thanks for post!!

Upwork doesn't check out the clients or the posts. It doesn't matter even if they send an invitation, it is up to the freelancer to follow the rules.

29971a80
Community Member

what was his / her name

It doesn't matter. You are missing the point. These jobs are always fake and put there by scammers. The names are often real, because they use legitimate ones.

Learn the Terms of Service and how to recognize scams in this post.

He says he wrote by **Edited for Community Guidelines**, his name suppoused to be **Edited for Community Guidelines**, I use to google names of my customers so...I found it was real, but the man who write to me on Telegram said he was Richard Amato, the name exists but from another  software company, he sent me this:

31a536a7
Community Member

Hi 

I have been scammed.One guy has sent a link to telegram on Upwork messages and when I went to telegram link, he shared 100 pics and said to type on a word after I submitted the work he said to pay $100.I refused to pay then he started a new drama to create a  Data entry work as a client on Upwork to get my pay. As it is scam I rejected.

6dce8fb4
Community Member

Was that **Edited for Community Guidelines**

571f53e0
Community Member

I am also scammed from this **Edited for Community Guidelines** and i  have also received one project through telegram project Manager **Edited for Community Guidelines** and delieverd to this email address : **Edited for Community Guidelines** but now they can not pay my project cost.. they are totally scammer and much more scammer person are avialbe at telegram plate farm.       

Communicating outside Upwork is not allowed until you have a contract on Upwork. Following the rules prevents a lot of scams.

annamolee
Community Member

That just contacted me offering a 2500$ job, 100 images. Same story as everyone else. Thank you so much for your post, you just avoiding me getting scammed. 

mar1804
Community Member

I am really sorry for what happened to you, but am extremely gratefull that you have put your experience on this site. I got in touch with those guys via FB and not upwork, but did not do anything. I found it a bit suspicious that someone is hiring a freelancer and promissing to pay so much many without even speaking to the person. I went ahead,Googled them and my suspicious feelings were confirmed. 

Once again, many thanks to all of you for sharing your experience.

85ad193c
Community Member

Same.

3f1a04b0
Community Member

same here 

debi-f
Community Member

I agree that it is his fault, but Upwork is not helping. Scammers should not be here posting jobs!! 

a1173563
Community Member

Dear 

Their are a lot of Scammers doing such nasty job after you loss time cost ,finally null.

But in furure please do a job of confirmed or verified payments, unless you do same **bleep**.

elisa_b
Community Member

Bad advice. 

Lots of scammers have verified payment methods. 

a1173563
Community Member

DearElias

before you apply for job u should check background information at least their past experiance with upwork and Googling to find the genuine company profile. Your temper make me sorrow I know ur hard work pay you a lot so do not upset. God always have a better way. 

God bless you

elisa_b
Community Member

It's Elisa, actually, without any "temper".

Nebiyu, I said it's bad advice because lots of scammers have their payment method verified. So when you see a client with a verified payment method, it doesn't mean the client is legit. Lots of people have been scammed by fake clients with verified payment methods (like stolen credit cards).

Googling companies or people does not help either: scammers use fake names and impersonate existing companies. They pretend to be someone else, therefore researching their background is totally useless.

The best thing you can do is check how long ago the client signed up to Upwork, how much money they spent here, and their reviews. Be careful with clients having no history, and read this to learn more about scams: Top Red Flags for Scams: From Community Membe... - Upwork Community

89fae079
Community Member

I also scammed inthis company 

**Edited for community guidelines**

cc2c2ed3
Community Member

I HAVE GOT ONE WORK FROM **Edited for Community Guidelines**WEBSITE FROM SAME COMPANY .

DO I REFUSE FOR IT.

If the situation is the same as the top post, then it's a scam, and report it to Upwork. Never communicate or do anything outside of Upwork, before an Upwork contract is in place. You won't get paid outside Upwork, but you will be scammed and lose it all.

Before you are scammed, read this post and follow every link. Your profile is a beacon to scammers. It's obvious you aren't following the rules or the best practices. You only have the first line to attract clients, and yours is being wasted. Do not even look at jobs before you complete your profile, and decide what marketable skills you have. You cannot translate with basic language skills. While there are freelancers who use programs to make up for no skills, they do not last long and make no money. Also, stop using all capital letters. It looks like you are screaming at people. If you want to freelance, you need solid marketable skills, money to run the business and buy things like connects, motivation, patience, time, and again, hard marketable skills. If you do not have those requirements, you may want to consider employment.

c_manihar
Community Member

Same. they have also asked me to pay $200 

They are SCAMMERS 

now they are not replying 

0b06da04
Community Member

This just happened to me, a $2000 payment for a 2 day translation and when i sent my binance pay they told me they needed $80 to link my account to the canadian payment server. The job was taken down the moment they contacted me (they sent me a pdf file with a telegram link). The guy name was**Edited for Community Guidelines** and the company they told me to send the pdf file was **Edited for Community Guidelines**

vyas-ritu
Community Member

Same with me I got message here for work . And connect through telegram. I connected with **Edited for Community Guidelines**.  He gave me translation work I did. But instead of paying he asked me to open a bank account with all my details. I realized n denied

But I spent my whole day to work n they cheated

Yes, you were cheated, but you also broke the Upwork Terms of Service. If you had followed the rules, you would not have worked for nothing. The good thing is, you can learn and prevent this from happening again.

Read this post, and follow every link. Learn and follow the rules. No one, including Upwork, will protect you. Be safe.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members