🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » End contract
Page options
joaolou
Community Member

End contract

I recently applied to a hourly job that had an exercise required to test the candidates. The task was relatively simple and after I submited it, the client invited me to an interview. It was a Quick call to explain me what the project was about.

After that he invited me to sign a contract and I accepted it. When I first took a look on the code base and started to work on the first tasks, I realized it was way outside my expertises.

I would like to know what is the Best way to end the contract without affect my jss OR risk a bad review. On the first day I worked 5 hours and I tracked them down but I didn't submit any work. Should I give a full refund and cancel the project or is there a better way to solve this?
1 REPLY 1
petra_r
Community Member

Joao L wrote:
After that he invited me to sign a contract and I accepted it. When I first took a look on the code base and started to work on the first tasks, I realized it was way outside my expertises.

I would like to know what is the Best way to end the contract without affect my jss OR risk a bad review. On the first day I worked 5 hours and I tracked them down but I didn't submit any work. Should I give a full refund and cancel the project or is there a better way to solve this?

That is really, really unfortunate at this stage of your Upwork career (this is your 4rth job so will count for up to a quarter of your JSS which it now qualifies you for.)

If you delete the time you logged and tell the client asap that unfortunately you're in over your head that means the client does not waste any more time but a "nothing paid" contract counts as unsuccessful (which, to be honest, it is) so will hit your JSS.

The only way this could end without any harm to your metrics is if you are paid something (say you delete all but 10 minutes of your time) and the client leaves no or positive public and private feedback.

The most important part is to get out of it with the client being caused as little inconvenience as possible, so I would suggest you tell the client and delete all but 10 minutes of tzhe logged time, and see how that goes.

What you need to take away from this is that you must not accept a contract before you checked the work and were certain that you can complete it well.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members