🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Ending a contract - didn't like the work
Page options
ros_brodie
Community Member

Ending a contract - didn't like the work

I acepted a contract and spent quite a bit of time reading through documents and getting familiar with the workflow. The client also spent time answering my questions about workflow, etc. When I got down to trying to do the work, I found that it wasn't really what I was expecting and I simply didn't like the work. It's all a bit imprecise for my perfectionist nature and I find myself obsessing over small decisions, which in the end means I'm going to spend way more time on these assignments that the client has budgeted for (and the client has been clear about the budget restraints, which I understand and accept). Essentially, I'm not suited for the job.

My question: does it make any difference to my JSS whether I end the contract, or ask the client to end the contract? I understand it will probably have a negative impact on my JSS either way, and I just have to accept that.

1 REPLY 1
petra_r
Community Member

Rosalyn B wrote:

My question: does it make any difference to my JSS whether I end the contract, or ask the client to end the contract? I understand it will probably have a negative impact on my JSS either way, and I just have to accept that.

Not as such. Who closes a contract, by itself, makes no difference at all.

If nothing has been paid, the contract will likely hit your JSS. This hit would be worse with poor private feedback from the client.

If you close the contract, the client might not leave any (private) feedback, which is better than poor private feedback.

If you have been paid something already, it would not have a negative impact on your JSS unless the client leaves poor feedback, so with the client being unlikely to be exactly thrilled, it would again be better to close it yourself in the hope that the client won't leave feedback.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members