Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

English Writing Skills - Part 2

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
1 of 6

After posting the thread "English Writing Skills" - Part 1 located at http://community.odesk.com/t5/Freelancers/English-Writing-Skills/m-p/60114#M21640 some have asked if there was a book that I might suggest.

My personal favorite is "The Rinehart Handbook for Writers." The book is used by English instructors in US colleges across the US. It provides an in-depth study into grammar, punctuation, and mechanics for both the MLA style of writing and the APA style of writing.

Carter, Bonnie, and Craig Barnwell. Skates. The Rinehart Handbook for Writers. Fort Worth: Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, 1990. Print.

I should mention that I personally prefer MLA and use some of the rules from older editions (esp., rules for serial commas and other punctuation); however, for tasks involving writing on the Web, I typically use "The Chicago Manual of Style."

Aside from the actual manual itself, do any of the writers and copywriters here suggest any particular websites and books for those using "The Chicago Manual of Style"?

Of course, when using Search Engine Optimization (SEO) techniques as I do, writing for the Web takes on a whole new style of its own.

Edited 01/08/2015 RT/lwm

Community Guru
2 of 6

What? All these excellent writers here in the forum, yet no replies...no suggestions?

Ace Contributor
Sk Arif H Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
3 of 6

Hi Ron,

I have read your postings regarding English writing skills and I am hoping that moderators would highlight this post and other one as well

Thanks,
Arif

Community Guru
4 of 6

Thank you Sk Arif H. Actually, I am hoping that oDesk Community Managers will eventually create a Tips and Hints subcategory. Maybe even one under clients and one under freelancers.

Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
5 of 6

Actually I think this post will best go under the Job Skills Discussion Area and may be made sticky there as it probably helps freelancers from all categories. Unfortunately there is no seperate section there for Writers which is surprising.

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
BEST ANSWER
6 of 6

Thanks for kicking off the discussion Ron. As I've mentioned previously, we do hope to add new discussion categories in the future and the feedback we get for topics like this will be a great fit in the "Writing" area. 

We'll keep an eye on the conversation.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS