🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Escrow Refund
Page options
14753d23
Community Member

Escrow Refund

Hy everyone, 

I landed my first client on Upwork a few days ago regarding product sourcing. It was a fixed contract of 150, I worked on it for a few hours. I had difficulty in the last, I asked the client about it, and they said I could submit my work and they'll review it and pay accordingly. The client reviewed it and told me they'd pay me half the amount. After that, they ended the contract and asked for a refund of escrow money. Upon asking, they said once I approved the refund request, Upwork would automatically deduct 75$  from their account to pay me.

I am confused now as I don't think I would get paid this way. Should I approve the request or dispute?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Aiman,

Your client has the option to release part of the milestone. Ask him to release that

Has the client really closed the contract without paying you. Then the entire money is already refunded to him. 

Don't pay him anything extra. 

Next time, remember your client has the option to release part of the milestone and ask to refund the rest. Ask them to release your share of the money and then approve refund request  for the remaining before they close contract.

Don't close the contract or allow it to be closed before the part milestone is approved and released to you. Otherwise the entire amount will get refunded to him/her and you will end up with nothing. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
b45fd663
Community Member

If you've completed the agreed-upon tasks and the client is requesting a refund, it might be more appropriate to discuss the issue with the client first. Clarify the terms of your agreement, and if necessary, propose a solution that is fair to both parties.

If you're unable to reach a resolution with the client, you can consider involving Upwork Support. They can provide guidance on the situation and help ensure fair payment for the work you've completed. It's important to communicate openly with the client and seek a resolution that reflects the value of your services.

Hy Nasreen, Thank you for the suggestion, I have talked with the client, in solution, he suggested me to take 75$ or file a dispute. As I know, I have done half of the work, I agreed upon 75$. Now, the question is, if I approve the client's refund, will I get paid for it. 
I'll surely contact upwork support.

Hi Aiman,

Your client has the option to release part of the milestone. Ask him to release that

Has the client really closed the contract without paying you. Then the entire money is already refunded to him. 

Don't pay him anything extra. 

Next time, remember your client has the option to release part of the milestone and ask to refund the rest. Ask them to release your share of the money and then approve refund request  for the remaining before they close contract.

Don't close the contract or allow it to be closed before the part milestone is approved and released to you. Otherwise the entire amount will get refunded to him/her and you will end up with nothing. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members