Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Even the slideshow on this page is broken

spiderwisp
Ace Contributor
Tim H Member Since: Jul 7, 2015
1 of 9

I felt it post-worthy to mention that even the slideshow on the Upwork forum main page is broken. A good deal of this site is, in fact, broken.

Will it ever be fixed?

I see Upwork uses freelancers from right here on the platform - I can only assume that's where all the $2.99/hr. jobs go, because the bugs and flaws evident here would be unacceptable to my clients.

/prepares for incoming slaughter and suspension Robot tongue (whatever)

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
2 of 9

@Tim H wrote:

I felt it post-worthy to mention that even the slideshow on the Upwork forum main page is broken. A good deal of this site is, in fact, broken.

Will it ever be fixed?

I see Upwork uses freelancers from right here on the platform - I can only assume that's where all the $2.99/hr. jobs go, because the bugs and flaws evident here would be unacceptable to my clients.

/prepares for incoming slaughter and suspension Robot tongue (whatever)

Ahem. I just checked the Slideshow using Firefox, and had zero issues with it.  While I will certainly agree the MAIN site needs all sorts of help, I usually do not start a new thread until Iv'e done at least a little troubleshooting. Towards that end:

1. What problem are you having with the Slideshow. Example: Will not load, loads, but images do not update, using the arrows to switch images doesn't work,  clicking Slideshow image does not load the post related to the image.

2. Did you try viewing it with another browswer, or reloading it?

3. I suppose it's possible they are updating it with a new image, and that might be why you are having issues with it. That happend to me once, a month or so ago.

cclapper
Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
3 of 9

A good website should be built to work on all major browsers, so asking someone to try another browser is silly. And i should imagine that a website for a company pulling down millions of dollars a year should be built to work on phones and tablets too, seeing how the trend seems to be that no one wants to work on an actual computer anymore, but here i am working on my ipad right now and half the time, peoples names dont show up with their posts here on the forum.

With so many other things not working, i am not surprised that the slider doesnt work.

allergywriter
Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
4 of 9

I tried to give you a Kudo but that is not working either....from iPad....using safari

the big boys understand cross browser utility. 

alas, we might be lacking in big boys

d_lidwell
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
5 of 9

@Cathleen C wrote:

A good website should be built to work on all major browsers, so asking someone to try another browser is silly. 

Over the last several years, I have noticed that there are many, many websites out there that do not work right on certain browsers. My local store, for instance, where I purchase my meats in bulk, their website does not work properly on Chrome (and I can't even view their weekly flyer while using this browser), but works great on Internet Explorer.

I'm not a coder or web designer, but I would imagine there are simply things that are not compatible with the various browsers available. This is why I always have IE and Chrome on my computers. 

So it's not uncommon for a "good website" to be unable to work properly on different browsers.

It's always a good idea to do a little troubleshooting before assuming any website, whether Upwork or others, is working properly.

As for you using your iPad to visit the website and having problems with the slideshow, I can't really comment on that. I used my Android phone to go to the main page, and it appears fine for me, although there doesn't seem to be a slideshow at all lol. Frankly, I'm a-okay with that, though!

cclapper
Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
6 of 9

Dawn, different browsers can interpret the website's code in different ways, or not at all. There are ways around that.

This company is making millions and millions of dollars. It has been suggested that they spent millions coming up with an algorithm to sort our jobs for clients (which doesn't work correctly). There really isn't an excuse for a company of this size to have a website that doesn't accommodate all browsers. In fact, Upwork hasn't been working correctly on ANY browser.

The deployment of the upwork website has ignored a whole lot of best practices typically used by professionals when building a website.

pandoraharper
Community Guru
7 of 9

@Cathleen C wrote:

A good website should be built to work on all major browsers, so asking someone to try another browser is silly.

<snip>

Cathleen, I quite agree that the necessicity to ask somone to do this is silly. Very much so. Having said this, it's very common for the Forum Mods and experienced Upwork users to offer this suggestion, becuase it actually works...sometimes. Therefore, my suggestion in this thread was not silly. Note I am simply pointing out a distinction, not taking offense at your post in particular.

If it's a global problem and we are told "try another browser" I've found more often then not, things show differently in that browser. And that data can be useful to solve the problem, whic is way too often a clearing of browser casche issue that would have been solved another way by the devs.

Should we have to do this? No. Do I get tired of hearing it? You bet. Tired of these problems? Try another site. I'm certainly not putting all my eggs in the Upwork basket.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 9

Hi All,

We are aware that while using some browsers, certain issues with the slideshow on the Community home page may emerge. We are currently working with the engineers to fix these issues.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

~ Valeria
Upwork
pandoraharper
Community Guru
9 of 9

As it turns out, a new image showed up in Slideshow right around the time the OP posted this message. What's weird though, is that the post was old. So I am not sure if the slideshow was actually being updated just then, or if I had just never noticed the image before.

Just saying....

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS