Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAKE? *** asking for money

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
21 of 39

Tannisha, 

I'm so sorry this happened to you.  I see by your profile that you are new and these scammers love to prey on new freelancers.  I would suggest you contact CS right away and report this scammer.  They can't get your money back but they can take action against the account.

Also you need to change your profile pic of one of you or nothing at all because it is against policy.  Also read here, this is a great thread about warning signs. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
vladag
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
22 of 39

Hi Tannisha,

Please follow the advice Katrina shared and report the client directly to Support. Please note that you shouldn't accept payments outside Upwork and you should never pay in order to get/complete the job.

Please read the resources I shared below, never start working without an active contract on your Upwork account and upload a real photo of yourself.

Getting Started as a Freelancer section of the Help Center

A Freelancer's Guide to Upwork  

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Proposal Workshop Video

Job warning Signs

jdebakker
Joyce D Member Since: Jun 14, 2016
23 of 39

Hi Valeria,

This client is at it again. I got contacted and chatted with a Maureen Hill and same talk. Pay for software on a laptop and training and supplied a legitimate website. 

I flagged the job ad as fishing and fraud.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Joyce De Bakker.

kochubei_valeria
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
24 of 39

Hi Joyce,

Thank you for reporting the job. We'll make sure the team takes actions against the account in question.

~ Valeria
Untitled
wiredjp
Laurence H Member Since: Mar 6, 2016
25 of 39

One a side note, one question: when clients contact you for an online interview outside of upwork, e.g. contact them on yahoo messenger or on google hangouts etc., should you question this approach? 

lisawerk
Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
26 of 39

@Laurence H wrote:

One a side note, one question: when clients contact you for an online interview outside of upwork, e.g. contact them on yahoo messenger or on google hangouts etc., should you question this approach? 

I have had clients ask for interviews through Skype or standard email, and none of those turned out to be problems. Even for those clients who have interviewed through Upwork, we usually switch to email once a contract is in place. It seems that many scams ask for Google Hangouts and Yahoo Messenger, but I have no idea why those seem to be the scammer's communication of choice.

No valid job will ask you to provide your personal mailing information. No valid job will ask you to start work without a contract in place through Upwork. No valid job will ever ask to pay you outside of Upwork, even if it's to 'buy supplies' or some other nonsense. All exchange of money, no matter what it's for, has to take place through Upwork.

stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
27 of 39

Lisa is spot-on. Google Hangouts, but especially Yahoo Messenger, are big alarm bells. I think it's to do with the relative lack of an evidence trail - but I'm only going by what I've read on this forum. Communicating by normal email is becoming much more prominent on here - mainly due to the impenetrability and unreliability of Upwork's new messaging/chat/conference/room thingy. So email's OK as long as all financial things are processed through Upwork. (It's always a good idea though, even if using email, to copy important messages on the Upwork system, for protection should a dispute arise.)

loredana-b
Community Leader
Loredana B Member Since: Feb 26, 2016
28 of 39

Some people prefer to discuss details via phone or video rather than to write. Some prefer to put a face to a name, to at least virtually meet the person that they will work with,

Until now, on Upwork, I had Skype / Google Hangouts interviews with 3 out of 4 clients. I got the jobs, they're all hourly -so ongoing work-, and I never had a problem, everything is great.

So no, if a client asks for an interview through an app or a call it doesn't mean it's a scam, just as it doesn't mean it isn't. Just pay attention to what the possible client is saying rather than where or how.

It's not what they use to interview, it's what they say and how they say it that should speak volumes.

jannilam
Jannila B Member Since: Mar 7, 2016
29 of 39

Hi,

I am repeatedly being contacted for an interview by **edited for Community Guidelines**. Please beware, this is a scam and is not the legitimate **edited for Community Guidelines**, if that is her correct name is asking freelancers to add her to yahoo messenger to conduct "interviews". However, what they are proposing are a list of various jobs for you to choose from with very attractive rates to be paid through various mediums except Upwork. They are also asking you to pay US$220 through Western Union or Money Gram for software that they will supposedly download on a laptop that they will send to you. From all I have read on the policies this is against the rules and regulations. 

They cannot not show any real proof of being connected to UHG except to send you a link to the official website to read about t he company. I hope the admin of this platform can find them and remove them.

kochubei_valeria
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
30 of 39

Hi Jannila,

Thank you for reporting. I have checked and can confirm that actions have already been taken against the client-account involved.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS