🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Face pic required? That's not cool
Page options
jestep822
Community Member

Face pic required? That's not cool

I am a very privacy minded person. I don't have social media accounts, and it bothers me when people post pictures of me online with my consent. My face does not convey my skills or abilities, and I don't believe it should be *required* for my profile to be accepted.

I've seen many posts on this issue going back years. The fact that it's still a requirement shows upwork isn't *really* listening to it's users on this particular subject.

So I ask the users here... is this site truly worth it?

Yes, I understand some of you may be thinking, "Oh, that's stupid. Just get over it and upload a photo"... but consider how many things people do without considering the potential consequences of posting things online. Whether it's enabling stalkers by posting pics of where you ate lunch, or "smart home" devices that end up spying on our children.

I know I'm not the only one here who has a problem with this particular aspect of setting up a profile here.

3 REPLIES 3
a_lipsey
Community Member

I run a business, and part of marketing that business includes marketing my business online, which I accept may include showing my face, since my business is about me.  Is it worth it to market my business online? Yes, I make a lot of money.  Is it worth it for me to  abide by Upwork's TOS? Yes, because I make a lot of money on Upwork.

If it goes against your personal code then don't do it and go on a different platform. There's no shame in saying something isn't right for you. There are thousands of freelancers on Upwork who find it acceptable. If you do not want to share your identify online (and that's fine if that's your choice) then opening an account to provide services to clients on Upwork is not a good option for you. 

Upwork uses the profile pic as one way of verifying identity. They have worked around the issue for people have religious concerns about showing their face. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I am a very privacy minded person"

Okay....

But Upwork is a site whose entire business model is built around letting freelancers prsent themselves to a worldwide audience, to maximize their ability to find work... and letting clients find and hire freelancers from all over the world.

Upwork also strives to create an online work platform which emphasizes transparency and freelancers with authenticated identities.

The purpose of using Upwork is the opposite of privacy. So there would seem to be a mismatch between your goals and Upwork's goals.

There ARE freelance work platorms and other websites which allow uses to use aliases, avatars, fake photos or no photos, anonymity, etc. Wouldn't it make sense for you to use sites which fit your needs and interests?

tlbp
Community Member

James E wrote:

I am a very privacy minded person. I don't have social media accounts, and it bothers me when people post pictures of me online with my consent. My face does not convey my skills or abilities, and I don't believe it should be *required* for my profile to be accepted.

I've seen many posts on this issue going back years. The fact that it's still a requirement shows upwork isn't *really* listening to it's users on this particular subject.

So I ask the users here... is this site truly worth it?

Yes, I understand some of you may be thinking, "Oh, that's stupid. Just get over it and upload a photo"... but consider how many things people do without considering the potential consequences of posting things online. Whether it's enabling stalkers by posting pics of where you ate lunch, or "smart home" devices that end up spying on our children.

I know I'm not the only one here who has a problem with this particular aspect of setting up a profile here.

Of the available freelance platforms, I have found Upwork to be the most effective for landing gigs. However, I started freelancing 3 years ago (before JSS and paid connects). IMO, most niches on Upwork are saturated with freelancers and those with a proven track record have an advantage over newbies. So, unless you have a skillset that is in high-demand, can create a compelling profile, write an engaging proposal and have past work samples to place on your profile page, I would say it is not worth compromising your principles re privacy. The chance of payoff is too low. 

Browse some of the freelancer profiles in your niche and take a look at their total earnings. That may give you a better idea of what the potential is here. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members