🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fake job postings
Page options
d11121e6
Community Member

Fake job postings

I recently applied for a product analyst job posting. After the discussions, we agreed on the rates and I got an employment offer which I accepted and signed. Then an HR person reached out and said they will transfer money into my account and want to confirm my account details. I got suspicious and did not give the details - as the payments will be through Upwork. Then they stopped responding and I haven't heard back since.

Questions:

1. Did anyone else face a similar issue?

2. Is there a way to report such profiles?

3. Does Upwork take accountability of such fake postings and at least issue refund for the credits used?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
the-right-writer
Community Member

1. Lots of people are scammed or approached by scammers.

2. Flag the job.

3. That depends on what you did. If you talked to the client outside of Upwork before an Upwork contract was in place, then no, you won't get them back, and you violated the Terms of Service.

If you did have a contract, or you were on Upwork for all activity, then notify Upwork by flagging or Support, and you will have your connects returned. They are only returned when the client breaks the Terms of Service.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
fe1f2ef4
Community Member

Ans1:

Yes, many people have reported of different frauds and scams happening on upwork. Your's being among them. Just try and follow upwork rules

Ans2:

You can report such fraud to upwork support team.

Ans3:

No, I don't think upwork would refund any connects you spend on fraud job postings, just try and avoid them to avoid being scammed.

From latest comments, I don't think upwork is up and doing well with their security

Thank you 

edbd1a93
Community Member

Hi I am a freelancer as well. I just did a job for a Mr Gareth Hardy. I completed the job successfully but he asked for my account number etc. Doesn't upwork pay the freelancer? Was I scammed. 

It is scammer. Upwork will pay you within contract. But you have no contract. You did this task for free.

Take time to read forum first.

edbd1a93
Community Member

Noted, thank you.

the-right-writer
Community Member

1. Lots of people are scammed or approached by scammers.

2. Flag the job.

3. That depends on what you did. If you talked to the client outside of Upwork before an Upwork contract was in place, then no, you won't get them back, and you violated the Terms of Service.

If you did have a contract, or you were on Upwork for all activity, then notify Upwork by flagging or Support, and you will have your connects returned. They are only returned when the client breaks the Terms of Service.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members