cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Fake profiles on Upwork - be careful!

freshpro
Shahid H Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
1 of 10

Lately I have notice a lot of fake profiles on Upwork pretending to be from America when they actually in India.

I have asked freelaner to visit spefic site so I can get their IP address.  I whois their IP to get more information and it turn to be from India.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 10

Yep. This is why I gotta go through dumb Skype chats with people just to prove who I am. :-\

nuphazemediallc
Ami B Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
3 of 10

Not only are they fake profiles but they are also trying to scam freelancers. "Pay this much up front to get started"...No, thank you.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 10

re: "Pay this much up front to get started"

Yeah... no.

Unfortunately, there are too many bad contractors and outright scammer clients for me to recommend any client ever paying up front on Upwork.

I believe that the current escrow system and starting with smaller projects to build trust are completely sufficient.

I do not believe that any client should pay any money upfront on Upwork.

Fund escrow? YES. Absolutely a necessity before contractors start working.

But releasing a payment BEFORE work begins? I think it's too risky these days.

(Sorry to those of you who are contractors who still ask for this.)

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 10

@Shahid H wrote:

Lately I have notice a lot of fake profiles on Upwork pretending to be from America when they actually in India.

I have asked freelaner to visit spefic site so I can get their IP address.  I whois their IP to get more information and it turn to be from India.

That will work until the scammers all realise this is happening and then they'll just remember to use their hosting service or proxy or TOR or whatever it is they use for scamming other places when they are scamming Upwork people. IP detection is not sufficient to detect anything but the lowest level, most amateur scammers. 

jutta_beinker
Community Guru
Jutta B Member Since: Jun 7, 2016
6 of 10

actually, I'd be extremely suspicious if someone is using a proxy, it'll be a no go by default..and thats easy to see

I always get best results running the IP through here:
http://whois.domaintools.com/

What you want to look for is evidence that the IP has a server assigned. if it has a "reverse IP" entry or a 'real' name for "resolve host" then it is probably a server, and likely a proxy...

" The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth will ever be "
aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
7 of 10

Hi Shahid, and Ami, 

If you came across these types of clients, please report them to the support team so that their accounts can be reviewed and actions can be taken against their account if they are proven to violate any of Upwork's ToS. 

~ Avery
Upwork
taustinray
Community Guru
Tom R Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
8 of 10

I find it a bit funny that a person with no profile picture and ZERO information in their profile is posting about fake profiles on the system.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 10

re: "I find it a bit funny that a person with no profile picture and ZERO information in their profile is posting about fake profiles on the system."

He could be a client. Nothing at wrong with a client profile that looks like that.

taustinray
Community Guru
Tom R Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
10 of 10

@Preston H wrote:

re: "I find it a bit funny that a person with no profile picture and ZERO information in their profile is posting about fake profiles on the system."

He could be a client. Nothing at wrong with a client profile that looks like that.

Well that is possible.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS