🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fellow Freelancers—try adding variety with vi...
Page options
codyabear
Community Member

Fellow Freelancers—try adding variety with videos in your job proposals!

Hello fellow Upwork freelancers! 

If you are like me, proposals are one of the most fun, but frustrating aspects of Upwork! Always getting outbid, clients never responding, and even proposals getting declined for no reason at all. I found a bunch of templates on the internet on how proposals should be written, and my biggest takeaway from that was to make it less about me and ALL about how I can provide value to the client! It sounded easy enough! I began intensely reading job postings and thinking about how I could provide value based on the problems that clients were sharing. I noticed I was getting more responses when I changed my tone and framework, but I still didn't feel like it was great, BUT then I discovered my secret sauce.

Clients on Upwork want to work with freelancers that are friendly, genuine, and skillful. The skillful part can be assessed by reviewing our profiles to see if we've taken assessments, reviewing our portfolio, etc. However, friendly and genuine are a bit harder to gauge through text. So I started using video. I have found that recording myself on video for a minute or so shows how enthusiastic I am to work with the potential client and also gives them an idea of who I am as a freelancer! These videos usually start with a "Hello, my name is Cody, I've read your job post, and here is how I can successfully complete the work you are asking for..." of course the opener will be vary depending on the client and the work they need to be completed, but wow—video is easy to watch, it's engaging for the client, and takes way less time than writing proposals via messenger! 

I hope this tip helps others who are struggling with getting proposals over to clients and winning the bids, it sure has drastically helped my odds! If anyone else has tips on successfully earning new client trust and work, let me know! I'd love to hear about other ways fellow freelancers are leveling up their bidding process! 

Cheers, 

Cody 

98 REPLIES 98
elaich
Community Member

Amazing Cody!

I myself always write about 2 or 3 sentences on the cover letter, something about I'll be a huge help to the project, and they can check out my profile to see that I never disappoint. But I've never used video, this sounds easier.

So you just put a link to a video on your proposal? Or there's an option to add a video because I never saw that.

codyabear
Community Member

I use an app called Loom, it's a link based video recording software that allows viewes to watch like YouTube without downloading your video. They just click a link and view! You will also get a notification when they have watched it. 

Great tip, thanks!

FYI: I searched LOOM - 

https://www.loom.com/

Thanks for posting Jeff! YES! That's it! On the free plan you can record up to 25 videos and store them in your library! 

aa396ac5
Community Member

Have you received any job offer after devising

this video method

I usually get a job offer after my loom video is watched! 

But your profile shows you haven't landed a job since July.  If your videos are really the "secret to success," where are all the jobs you've won?  Please clarify.

That is a good question.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Personally I believe some "members" aren't really members after all.

I thought it strange seeing this post and when support spoke to me they recommended recording a video....... mmmm

Now as someone else said the client would get frustrated with 50 proposal videos. 

They are already frustrated at boosted proposals.

lysis10
Community Member

Lisa B wrote:

But your profile shows you haven't landed a job since July.  If your videos are really the "secret to success," where are all the jobs you've won?  Please clarify.

lol saying what the smart people are thinking.

Also, I really hope a lot of writers follow this advice, if'n you know what I mean. lol

I am definitely going to try this video secret.

I am tired of this whole thing

Do not be tired Faith, it took me over 4 months before I landed my first good job.

jion92
Community Member

Of course, I will follow these tips and let you know. Thank you.

codyabear
Community Member

You are very welcome! and good luck! 

calado-marco
Community Member

Hi Cody, it seems like a good aproach and i have no doubt it works for now.

I say for now, simply because the reason it's working is that there maybe be just a few freelancer using it and the client looks at them and sees originality and dedication from the freelancer.

But now picture a large number of proposals using video....

It becames tiresome for the client and it's faster to just read the proposal.  Don't forget there are lot's and lot's of clients out there that are just pragmatic and many are in a hurry.

My personal experience so far is just to be the first or one of the first to bid, "the early bird..." kind of thinking.

Nonetheless kudos for the post, it helps and if it works, and it looks like it is,  keep on it my friend!!

Thanks so much Marco! Very good points! I also try to be the first to send my video in—you are absolultely right about that! So much higher chance if you can be in the first 10 bids! I do have some other strategies to use if I am not in the top 10 though, I'll make a post on that too! 🙌

81f2681a
Community Member

Hi Cody,

This idea is realy nice! I believe it will helps, but I have some questions:

How do you show the video to the client? Do you just send the link in the first setence? What do you write before sending the link? "Hi, I´m Cody, see my video explaining about myself: (wwwdotyoutubedotcom/codyvideolinkhere)".

The client must be catched in the first 2 setences to open the proposal, if he just sees a link he could think the freelancer is lazy and just copy paste the proposal. What is the best strategy to client knows that your proposal has a video and makes him open it?

Oh absolutely, you still need to get them with a hook! I usually call out the fact that I created a video for the client to see who I am to raise interest and curiosity with the client! 

I use an app called Loom, it's a link based video recording software that allows viewes to watch like YouTube without downloading your video. They just click a link and view! You will also get a notification when they have watched it. 

Hi. I'm not clear on when or how you send the client the video. Do you put it in a link in your proposal? So you have a Loom account that stores the videos in a link? Do you make a different video for each client?

flipmedialk
Community Member

Thankyuo all for great tips

You are very welcome! I hope it helps!!

katlin_dyoy
Community Member

Awesome tip, Cody. I will create my loom video soon 🙂

codyabear
Community Member

AH! Amazing Cathleen! Let me know how it goes for you! 

bikash011
Community Member

That's great to know. Thank you for sharing your secret Cody 🙂

You are very welcome! I'm wishing all freelancers the best!!

2af03968
Community Member

great. I like your post. I think most freelancers feel the above bitter experience

I'm glad it was helpful, and I hope more freelancers take advantage of video in their proposals! 

gajda_mary
Community Member

This methodology sounds terrific! Now all I have to do is see if the wall I am thinking of will qualify for good enough light.             Live in a small apartment. Been wanting to make a nice intro video at the Library in private room on a sunny day.                               Trick is getting a ride there. Thank you incredibly much!😊

You are very right about the background, lighting, etc! You want to be well-lit, and ensure your background is inviting and not cluttered! A lot can be seen from a video, and it tells a lot about the freelancer you are! Clients are making lots of split decisions. 

a8c9dd4f
Community Member

Yes, you are right about the video when applying. We can even put the same thing on our profile, to introduce ourselves and what we do, I think we should be positive, smiling and friendly because everyone would like to work with such a person. Who would want to discuss and cooperate with someone who does not pay enough time and attention to work. And I think this also applies to the clients with whom we cooperate, and they should also be nice and friendly, many times it happened to me to cooperate with clients who were very rude to me and I had no desire to work at all.

I have a new motto Mr. Andrej: "Treat everyone as you yourself want to be treated."

You are absolutely right, but not everyone would treat us the way they would like to be treated. That is, everyone wants to be treated well for himself, he doesn't care about others... I call that selfishness among the people.

I did not mean it to be selfishness. Just to be kind, nice and friendly towards others.

You're right.

0244b4ac
Community Member

hi

Hello! : )

luqman_mak
Community Member

Thank you for sharing

My pleasure! I am planning on sharing many more tips in the upcoming days! Stay tuned! 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members