kbuzdar

Financial account suspended due to auto click software

Hello everyone, My account have been suspended due to auto click software. I have put several responses on the ticket and i have been advised by the risk management team to inform them when my open jobs have been completed so that they can review my account. They have further advised me if i end my open jobs in a hurry and inappropriately, it will weaken my appeal of reinstatement of account. I am afraid they will close my account permanently and my funds which are around $800 will be seized when open jobs have been completed. Have users experienced this issue before so that they can advise me how should i proceed? Should i work for clients and wait for the open jobs to be completed? thanks,
49 REPLIES 49

...did you really use auto-click software? [sarcasm mode: on] Very clever indeed [sarcasm mode: off].
“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger

no i didn't. I don't know why are they saying?

...I must apologize, then. If you didn't really use auto-click software and always followed the rules, I guess you have nothing to be worried about. Just follow the instructions they gave you, and your account will be fully restored.
“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Hello

My  partner's account financial transiction has been limited by upwork.

PS: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Your partner?  And you're signing the post as Jan.  Is this your account?

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

Hi Andrei,

Please note that only the account owner is allowed to use the freelancer account, so please do ask your partner to communicate with Support directly. We won't discuss other users' account related issues with anybody else but the account owner, and we can't share account specific details in the Community.

Untitled

And Vlad answered it.  Your account cannot be discussed in the forum and you will have to communicate with CS.  

Hi Andrei,

Please note that only the account owner is allowed to use the freelancer account, so please do ask your partner to communicate with Support directly. We won't discuss other users' account related issues with anybody else but the account owner, and we can't share account specific details in the Community

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
e_estores

Hi,

I would like to know if this had been solved? How did you do it? I am actually experiencing the same problem as yours. I hope you can help me with it.

Thank you

May I know what happened to your account after the investigation? was it reinstated? I also have just been suspended now and accused of something I do not know of, using an auto clicker. I have been working for odesk since 2009 and now this. 

Deszra,

Unfortunately, we have seen numerous reports of this same thing happening:

Contractors such as yourself have had their accounts put under review or have had their accounts suspended because something in the oDesk algorithms that check hourly work diaries mistakenly identified them as using an "auto clicker."

I don't work for oDesk, but my theory is that there must be some type of software which is repeatedly being misidentified as an "auto clicker," or some type of pattern in work diaries or maybe even screen shots which is being misidentified.

Is there any way you can tell us what type of software you were using while working, and/o what type of work you were doing? Maybe if we hear from enough people and identify a pattern we can identify what the problem is with oDesk's algorithm, or at the very least figure out something we can warn people about.

Obviously it makes no sense to think that an established, successful contractor such as yourself, who has no complaints from clients regarding work diaries, was using "auto clicker" software. But the computer algorithms oDesk uses to make such an accusation are not people with "sense", they are simply flawed computer code written in an effort to identify problems oDesk has run into. Odesk's intent here is pure (their intent is to protect clients from dishonest contractors), but their execution has some errors in it, errors which have caused real people such as yourself a great deal of heart ache.

I totally understand they are just protecting their interests and clients as well. I myself am worried not just for myself but also for my clients because i do not know if i should still continue working if I will not get paid. oDesk emailed me that i can still log in hours but until when? I have a lot of uncertainties because honestly I am at a loss right now. I love being with oDesk and greatly appreciate all the work they've given me but I have a right to my funds. I worked for that and I have not had any complaints in the past years from my clients. i always over-deliver so it pains me that this should happen. Perhaps they see multiple pages with the same thing but that is because I also use another computer because just one computer cannot handle all the tools. It slows down. I am afraid all my feedback, my good work will be overlooked just because of this. I also know of two people this has happened to. 

Thanks Preston for your kind response. I really need kind words right now 😞

Hi Desza Irene,

I am sorry about the confusion and frustration caused by the suspension of your account. I recommend you keep communicating with the oDesk Team in order to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. All the information and evidence are carefully reviewed by the Team not just analysed by an algorithm and they are doing their best to help you acheive the resolution.

Thank you for your patience!

~ Valeria
Upwork
prestonhunter

If anybody carefully reads what both Desza and Valeria have posted on this thread, you will be able to glean helpful tips...

...tips that can help you avoid being flagged by automated algorithms and then adjudicated by oDesk employees as "using auto-click software."

For most of us, this isn't an issue. First of all, this only applies to hourly contracts, not fixed-rate.

And most of us who do hourly contracts are not working in such a way that we are in danger of being flagged or suspended for this type of violation.

Desza's mistake was that she believed that just because she was behaving honorably and providing good value for her client, that this would be enough. She did not realize that by using a second computer and leaving the first computer (with the time tracker running), she was accumulating multiple successive screen shots which appear to be showing the same, unchanged screen.

The oDesk time tracker also counted her mouse clicks and keyboard strokes and saw there were none, or very minimal numbers. This pattern was flagged by an automated algorithm, which then caused her work diary to be reviewed by oDesk employees. They looked at the numbers and looked at the screens and clicked a button which said that they manually verified Deszra's screens as being unchanged, indicating she was using "auto-click" software to run out the clock, not realizing she was using a second computer.

Another contractor posting in another forum told of running into a similar problem while using Remote Desktop or remove viewing software to work on a client's compute remotely, which made it look like there was no activity on the local computer.

Other people have reported problems after doing work mostly offline, writing notes by hand, talking on the phone, etc.

Odesk is not going to adjust its quality control processes to account for such rare circumstances.

You can not use the oDesk time tracking software ("oDesk Team" application) as a time-clock. It may SEEM to work like that, like something you can use to punch in and punch out at your job at McDonald's.

But it is not simply tracking your start and stop times. It is taking screenshots and if you are not using in the expected way, your account has a strong chance of being put under review or suspended.

Desza and other contractors who are doing work in unexpected ways like this would be better off if they tracked their time manually, while being careful to include ample descriptive memos.

Alternatively, a person in Desza's situation could upgrade her computer such that she can do all of her work during a given session on the same computer. Or put oDesk Time Tracker application on the superior computer on which you are doing most of your work.

Desza did not behave dishonorably as a contractor.

But she was PERCEIVED as behaving dishonorably.

ODesk algorithms and employees who check numbers and work diaries behind the scenes have no way of knowing what we actually do, only what we seem to be doing based on the evidence available to them.

Had somebody from oDesk been in the room with Desza, that person would have been impressed by how hard Desza works and how concientious she is, but of course there is no way for that to happen. So we should be aware of what oDesk is looking at and avoid giving them cause for alarm.

I totally agree with you. There was also a mistake on my part. I hope some people learn a lesson from my experience. In the meantime, I am still working on a resolution with oDesk. 

Just as an update, not even 24 hours after my explanation, oDesk responded with reinstating my account. Special thanks to the Risk Team Management team who really values employees. I am grateful and want everyone to know that there is always hope if your intentions are good and if you work hard.

Thank you so much for updating us on your case Desza and I'm glad the outcome was positive for you. Oftentimes all we hear are complaints and those who never come back here after their problem has been resolved so it creates an atmosphere of mistrust. We need to hear positive outcomes too so thanks for sharing!

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄

Btw just to add to possible reasons on how someone's account can be flagged as using an auto-clicker, I've read on an FB group that a freelancer got her account suspended because oDesk somehow detected a gaming keys shortcut on her laptop (I believe it was DOTA in her screenshot but I don't play video games so not sure). So if anyone out there is a gamer or using some sort of stuff like that, don't use it on the computer you run your oDesk tracker on.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄

Hi I would like to inquire regarding this issue, is the client being informed incase that they have detected or notified you that you may be using an auto - clicker?

@Francesca Isabel C wrote:

Hi I would like to inquire regarding this issue, is the client being informed incase that they have detected or notified you that you may be using an auto - clicker?

I would very much think so, Francesca, so the client can get their money back for all the time that was logged with an auto-clicker.

aseembhalla

Extending on what Preston is saying, I find that working on odesk is far more straining than working in an office. Due to the strict guidelines imposed by odesk guarantee program, you have to be extra careful when you are logging time. You can not just run to the door or go attend to your dog with the time tracker software still on(You should stop it before you leave). Odesk time guarantee expect that when you are logging time , you are focussed on the client's work. I think this is only fair because if this was any other way, contractors will find ways to scam clients. It is simply not ok to go read cartoons online while you are waiting for client to respond with the time tracker still on.

Points above are just an example and I am not suggesting that any freelancer complaining here actually does this. 

amanatkhan

Just googled this discussion and found it very informative for myself. My account is recently suspended by Upwork and I am in a state of frustration and confusion that how an autoclicker usage was detected on my account. I think there is a confusion that Upwork doesn't understand the type of work a contractor is doing for the client. Like my work include only to watch certain informations for 8 hours shift a day on the screen that are coming in a stream. In such situation clicks and typing doesn't matter so i had to click or type some letters once in every snapshot duration. I had the same instructions from my client that I should click somewhere on the screen to get paid for the work. I now have no idea how to make the Upwork team understand that I had just tried an autoclicker for one day and they have now suspended my financial transactions. At the same time I am providing my client with the desired output and he is satisfied with my work. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Amanat

I’ve checked your account and regret to inform you that our review committee’s decision is final. They’ve evaluated all aspects of your account and determined that your account will not be reopened. The policy violation(s) were simply too serious, and I’m not able to reverse this decision.

From risk team management. 

My question is, is there any chances that I can still re-open my account, Yes! I admited that i used auto clicker and im new in upwork, i dont know that its wrong using it. I apologize and swear to them not to do it again but still they dont want me to give a chance. They are so strict when it comes to that, Is there any way i can withdraw my money? or get paid? cause i really need to pay all my bills, internet, electricity, etc.

I hope that they can read this. Sorry for my bad english.

Thank you.

@Ryan Vinson B wrote:

1) My question is, is there any chances that I can still re-open my account,

I admited that i used auto clicker and im new in upwork, i dont know that its wrong using it.

2) They are so strict when it comes to that,

3) Is there any way i can withdraw my money? or get paid? 

1) It does not look like it.

2) They are, because it is fraud and theft

3) You need to ask Risk Management (this is the user forum, I doubt Risk Management come here.) but the money will probably go back to the client as the hours logged were logged fraudulently so why should the client pay for them...

re: "I admited that i used auto clicker and im new in upwork, i dont know that its wrong using it."

Ryan,

Please tell us more about your use of auto-clicker software.

Tell us about why you were using it. What was your purpose? What were you thinking at the time? Had you used it before, or was it specifically for use on your Upwork project, to help increase logged hours? Don't withhold any details.

@Preston H wrote:

Please tell us more about your use of auto-clicker software.

What for?

He has been told the decision is final.

Do you really think you'd get an an honest answer?

His entire profile is a lie, everything including job descriptions is stolen. English Skills is a lie.

He admitted he used autoclicker, he has been permanently suspended, the decision was reviewed and upheld as final.

And that's how you get 96 hours.

Easy come. Easy go.

Well, that's not the only red flag.

Just search for the first sentence of his overview "Qualified SEO professional with solid experience in developing SEO campaigns" in the freelancer search - it's simply stunning how many people are a "clear communicator with a background in account management and marketing"...

Seriously, why doesn't Upwork weed out all these clearly plagiarized profiles?

Doesn't take much skill or time to find them, does it?

LOL I was going to search his profile too, Ela, but I figured if he's dishonest enough to steal money from clients, stealing his overview probably isn't a problem for him either.

A

@Doony Pat Flores B wrote:

The reason why i use auto clicker is that i baby sit my younger brother.

Why would you charge your client to babysit your younger brother? Don't you see that this is theft? You are literally stealing money from the client by charging for time you were babysitting not working.

Autoclicker use is a deliberate, premeditated act. It's not something that "just happened"

You researched, found, downloaded, set up and used tools to defraud.

This is getting more interesting by the minute - so Doony, you used auto clicker on the same client as Ryan? On the same LinkedIn job even?

Oh dear.

And now you deleted your message?

Edit: It is actually the same client...

**edited for Community Guidelines**

P.S. They live in the same city... I will refrain from jumping to conclusions.

Ela K wrote:P.S. They live in the same city... I will refrain from jumping to conclusions.

I wonder if she is suspended (yet) as well?

Maybe forgot which profile was being used to post?

One could jump to all sorts of conclusions................

(Petra sits on her hands........................)

Nice catch, Ela. More freelancer Darwinism and they actually both post here. 

This stuff infuriates me, because either the customer will leave Upwork for good or take it out on the next provider who could be completely honest.

I really hate it when I get a customer who tells me "I just want to make sure I say it because the next provider screwed me." And then they go on to make a list of what they are afraid of happening again. This kind of stuff makes us all look bad.

Good riddance to the OP and the other person.

She wiped her post admitting it. 

I guess she figured if she was only charging $3/hour who would care how she steals it.

What part of "fraud" don't these people understand? 

"I know it's fraudulent, but I do it because I'm too lazy to do the work and/or too busy with personal things to be accountible for any wrongdoing. Can I still work here?"

No. You're fired. 

If you have a good relationship with your client - which seems to be the case, and you have set 8 hours shifts, why does it need to be an hourly contract? Renegotiate it into a fixed price one. 8h/day * (your hourly rate) * (days in the week you're working) = weekly payment. You do your job, you don't have to worry about clicks, client gets results, clients pays weekly, everyone's happy. There's also manual time. There are ways that don't break Upwork's rules.

Amanat, it IS possible for you to have your account restored and the suspension lifted. You will need to work with customer support.

You will need to be 100% honest with them. Tell them everything.

Do not, in any way, try to say that it is okay to use autoclicker software. Be contrite. Admit that what you did was wrong. That is your only chance. Be sure to explain that you will never use that kind of software again and that you will never even have it on your computer.

Other contractors HAVE come back from this.

As Bojana explained, there are many ways to do your work and get paid without logging time using the time tracker.

For future reference, for other contractors... It is important to understand that using autoclicker software may seem innocuous to you. It is not mentioned in the Ten Commandments. It is not against the law. But in the world of Upwork, it is one of the worst things you could possibly do. It is one of the three greatest sins you could possible commit on Upwork. Even having the software on your computer is grounds for having your account permanently terminated. You should not even have the software in your house. You should not be Facebook friends with people who use the software. This is serious stuff. Don't risk it.

If you can prove that your client specifically approved the use of the autoclicker software then send that proof to upwork.

If the client knew nothing about it and had instructed you to click / type something to keep the tracker alive and prove you were actually there working rather than out shopping or at the beach then it could get trickier.

The best course of action is to be absolutely honest, apologetic, remove the autoclicker software at once (if you have not already done so) and hope for the best.

as long as you have documented evidence that your work is such and such and your client instructed you to do so; you're on the safeside