Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Fishing clients

eric5037
Community Guru
Eric B Member Since: Feb 21, 2017
1 of 8

Hi, 

 

The other day, I had an invite: I read carefully, did some test and waste some time to see if I was able to do a job or not. Hopefullly I was but it takes time to be sure (being serious and not saying yes without even knowing)

 

At least, When I'm invited, I wait for an answer which can be any answer, it's not the problem.

 

Now, I won't give a link of that "job" but I describe it here: 

- client from france

- 4 jobs posted

- 8$ spend

- 1 hour billed 

- 1 open job

- more than 50 proposals

- 16 interviews

 

How do you analyze that?

I will tell you what I think: that guy is fishing. He creates a proposal with a  great price (1000$) which would be a normal price in a non hyperglobalized world but is a lot here in upwork, sends a lot of invites and just analyze the results. 

 

I think he does it for 2 possible reasons: 

1- he thinks that a great price and a lot of invites will attract a lot of freelancers so the more prices he gets, the more low bids he will gather.

2- he's a freelancer and want to know the bids of other freelancers

 

What do you think?

 

More questions:

Does upwork manage that sort of things?

Is that allowed to make proposals as a client and don't hire anybody?

Is that the same if you're just a client and a (client and a freelancer)?

 

Freelancers have obligations and must do a great job. What about clients? Can he do what he wants?

 

Thank you. I'm open to any discussion because I see a lot of abuses committed by clients (fishing clients, unresponsive clients...). What can we do? Does upwork do something about it? if it does something, what is it? Can we report that kind of behaviour? Where?

g_vasilevski
Moderator
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
2 of 8

Hi Eric,

Please flag the job post if you suspect it might be in violation of Upwork ToS, share evidence and any other identifying detail and our team will follow up and review it. 

We don't force clients to hire freelancers on the jobs they post on Upwork. Furthermore, clients can hire freelancers directly after reviewing their proposal, which wouldn't be registered on the job post page but would be reflected in the clients details. Finally, we do regularly review client activity and take steps in case of we see a pattern of unsuccessful outcomes, which includes not hiring freelancers for jobs a client posted.


Untitled
eric5037
Community Guru
Eric B Member Since: Feb 21, 2017
3 of 8

@Goran V wrote:

Hi Eric,

Please flag the job post if you suspect it might be in violation of Upwork ToS, share evidence and any other identifying detail and our team will follow up and review it. 

We don't force clients to hire freelancers on the jobs they post on Upwork. Furthermore, clients can hire freelancers directly after reviewing their proposal, which wouldn't be registered on the job post page but would be reflected in the clients details. Finally, we do regularly review client activity and take steps in case of we see a pattern of unsuccessful outcomes, which includes not hiring freelancers for jobs a client posted.


Thanks, Goran. 

 

Well, if you want my opinion, they should be forced to hire and the payment should be verified before the proposal appears and can be seen but it's my opinion and it's very good to know because it means that if, as a freelancer, I want to know my competitors bids (beyond min, max, avg), I just have to make a proposal which won't imply any waste of money. It's beautiful!

g_vasilevski
Moderator
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
4 of 8

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your feedback, I will share this with our team.


Untitled
eric5037
Community Guru
Eric B Member Since: Feb 21, 2017
5 of 8

@Goran V wrote:

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your feedback, I will share this with our team.


 Thanks, Goran. I'd be happy to see how it is resolved.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 8

@Eric B wrote:

@Goran V wrote:

Hi Eric,

Please flag the job post if you suspect it might be in violation of Upwork ToS, share evidence and any other identifying detail and our team will follow up and review it. 

We don't force clients to hire freelancers on the jobs they post on Upwork. Furthermore, clients can hire freelancers directly after reviewing their proposal, which wouldn't be registered on the job post page but would be reflected in the clients details. Finally, we do regularly review client activity and take steps in case of we see a pattern of unsuccessful outcomes, which includes not hiring freelancers for jobs a client posted.


Thanks, Goran. 

 

Well, if you want my opinion, they should be forced to hire and the payment should be verified before the proposal appears and can be seen


 Ludicrous idea. Over and over and over again have clients confirmed that they would never have posted their first job on Upwork had they been forced to verify their payment method, let alone forced to hire.

 

Would you even go into a shop if you were forced to leave your credit card at the door and could not leave the shop without buying something?

 

Sure, there are frivolous job posts, but personally I'd rather skip right past those and find the genuine ones, than not get either the frivolous ones OR the genuine ones.

 

If your idea was implemented Upwork would be closing its doors forever within weeks.

 

 

 

 

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
7 of 8

"How do you analyze that?"

 

I don't. Even a subset of the stats you quoted would be enough red flags for me to skip this job. All of them together? Forget it.

 

Upwork lets clients invite insane numbers of freelancers. We've complained about it before, to no avail. There's nothing you can do but skip it and move on to the next one.

eric5037
Community Guru
Eric B Member Since: Feb 21, 2017
8 of 8

@Charles K wrote:

"How do you analyze that?"

 

I don't. Even a subset of the stats you quoted would be enough red flags for me to skip this job. All of them together? Forget it.

 

Upwork lets clients invite insane numbers of freelancers. We've complained about it before, to no avail. There's nothing you can do but skip it and move on to the next one.


Thank you, very enlightning.

I think he must be a freelancer or a freelancer's friend because if he's not, I don't see it, I mean: why? to play? to kill time? If he is a freelancer, I'm pretty sure he has 2 separate accounts.

 

I've recently learned to avoid certain kind of proposals but I didn't see that one coming: I divided the price by 4 but not even a response.

 

I don't know if I'm right but when you're a freelancer, you're somehow accepted or not / verified... but when you're a "client", you can do whatever you want. 

 

Well, if he make a proposal of 1000$, I can play giving him a proposal of say 40$, may be he will make me a contract I won't work on. We can play happy family, we can play houses and we can play upwork.

 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS