Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud/Scams

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 16

As hinted at by various posts in this thread... Freelancers who violate Upwork policies are the reason these scams have become such a persistent plague.

I would be perfectly happy to see freelancers who participate in scams have their accounts suspended for a few months so that they can have time to study more about how to use Upwork properly.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 16

Debbie, do you understand that you need to stop responding to invitations you receive from out of the blue? All invites you receive at this point are fraudulent.

You need to focus only on jobs you apply to. And you need to check with us before you accept any of them or do any kind of work.

c_clover
Ace Contributor
Christine C Member Since: Oct 7, 2015
13 of 16

I don't think she needs to "check with" anyone so much as she needs to develop a sixth sense for what is legit and what is not. Anyone working freelance these days needs that kind of intuitive feeling for what is and isn't kosher. 

rolandofgilead
Community Guru
Mattia G Member Since: Mar 10, 2014
14 of 16

@Preston H wrote:

I would be perfectly happy to see freelancers who participate in scams have their accounts suspended for a few months so that they can have time to study more about how to use Upwork properly.

I couldn't agree more. 

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 16

I am just at a complete loss how anyone with an ounce of common sense or critical thinking could possibly think for more than 3 seconds that such a scheme could be genuine.

It seems the old German slogan "Gier frisst Hirn" (greed eats brain) still holds true.... 

People smell  some way to make easy money, and "using brain" goes right out of the window...

rolandofgilead
Community Guru
Mattia G Member Since: Mar 10, 2014
16 of 16

In Italy we have a similar expression: "Chi troppo vuole, nulla stringe"... if you want too much, you'll end up with nothing at all.

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS