🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Fraudulent job offers *edited*
Page options
1b4b63d0
Community Member

Fraudulent job offers *edited*

Hi!

Someone tried to scam me today. In his message, he asked to contact him via Telegram ( **Edited for Community Guidelines**) and at the end of his message he wrote this sentence: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Out of curiosity, I searched for this company in Google and in their landing page was the notice I have attached to this message.

Beware! I read they are using different names ( **Edited for Community Guidelines**). Don't get scammed!

Opera Instantánea_2022-04-18_225537_www.sharethrough.com.png

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PradeepH

Hi Martha,

Thank you for your message. I will forward your report to the relevant team to review and take appropriate action on the flagged job post.

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52
PradeepH

Hi Martha,

Thank you for your message. I will forward your report to the relevant team to review and take appropriate action on the flagged job post.

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork

please do!!!!!!!!!!!!! i literally spent hours making the screenshotntexts into word and they offered to pay me in telegram ...and talk there they r gone...my work is all wasted. 200 screenshots i told them only i can make 100 as im busy student. another one from SHARETHROUGH AND MEDIAVINE . these 2. mediavine was the one i made but the sharethrough seemed freaking same **bleep**ty task as mediavine. they asked for my cv and i sent and they accepted i kept telling them i want to keep the chat in upwork cuz im here for experience, my working hours, contracts, reviews i want it all to be tracked but they kept declining so i blocked them and deleted the chats from both ends. i feel bad for sending my cv cuz it had my contact number..not address though and the other one from mediavine sent me fake looking contract i signed it. i feel bad honestly. 2 days ago i joined upwwork. i dont feel safe at all. clients should be asked for their identity cards and details same with freelancers cuz its annoying. 

Hi Shahodat,

Thank you for your message. I will forward your report to the relevant team to review and take appropriate action on the flagged job post. Please note that we do not encourage freelancers to accept or offer to get paid outside of Upwork. This may lead to possible fraud and is also considered a serious violation of our Upwork TOS which may lead to permanent action on your Upwork account.

Check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Pradeep,

These scammers are so many.  Most of the proposals I have sent almost 90% text via upwork platform asking for my contacts.  How do I flag them from messages section?

Same, I experienced it just now. After I finish the task they ask me to send a deposit which is $200 and per agent after giving them the money they will process the money immediately. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

But you know this is a scam, right? There is no money, there is no job, you were not hired. 

Really thanks for this information sharing as I was about to be skammed.

Glad you did your research so you weren't.

I have one too, just right now. They said that their names are  **Edited for Community Guidelines** and  **Edited for Community Guidelines** from sharethrough inc.

Great for sharing...sharing is caring... 

Hello..I am done with you some work..200 images typing..Bu I cant receive payment..This company **Edited for Community Guidelines**..What can i do?  

Hi Aytac,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your recent experience. I do not see any contract on your Upwork account. Please make sure you have an active contract on Upwork before you initiate any work. 

Please check out this course for more tips on staying safe on Upwork and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

unfortunately I didn't find the job through upwork..just help me how and where to report this company please..they also took my credentials..I don't know how I got it..not to mention the money I lost..I just want to complain so they don't hurt people more ..I do not know where to write to whom.. If you have any information, please share it.. Let them be closed, their punishments should be taken..

If you didn't go through Upwork and have a contract, there is nothing Upwork can do.

Stop all contact with the person and if you feel threatened, go to your local police. Since it was not through Upwork, you will have to try and work through your local resources. You can't mention anyone's name or anything that identifies someone in the forum.

Hi ! This happened to me today with the job "Simple typing and retyping words into pdf", they contact me via **Edited for Community Guidelines** with the name Sharethough. I sent her my CV, but then I deleted it. It's a problem? Can they do something with my information like location, telephone number and birth date? They didn't have any red flag. What can i do? the job has been deleted

Yes, it is a problem. You violated the Terms of Service by going outside Upwork before a contract was in place. The scammers are looking for money, not information. However, they might pass on or sell the data, but it is unlikely. They like easy marks who are willing to break the rules for big money.

Didn't you wonder about such a ridiculous job description? Why would anyone type when we have computers? The "job" was busywork to keep you engaged until they were discovered, and the bank called in the credit card that was stolen.

The enormous, blazing red flag was asking you to go outside of Upwork. Not only will you be scammed, but you can be suspended from Upwork.

Before you even look at jobs, learn the rules. Then read this from Wes: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Then work on your profile. You look like a victim. You need to create a portfolio with the work you want to showcase.

Only after taking these steps should you apply for a job. No one will protect you from the scammers; you must protect yourself.

Hi Johana,

It looks like the job was removed for violation of our Terms of services. I would like to let you know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as an Inappropriate option throughout the platform. 

You may want to check this help article and this thread for more information on how to stay safe on Upwork.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Same here 😞 

Please help me to take new jobs

Hello, Pradeep. I am new to Upwork, and I received an invitation to interview after submitting a proposal, but the client wants me to interview with him using the **Edited for Community Guidelines**(Skype) website. Does this still violate the terms of service? How do I handle this?

Hi Terise,

You should not communicate with a client outside of Upwork without a contract in place, as this is considered a serious violation of the Terms of Service. Once you have a contract with your client, you can use any communication method you prefer.

You may want to check this help article and this thread for more information on how to stay safe on Upwork.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
1b4b63d0
Community Member

Thanks Pradeep. I have already flagged the job post. 

Hi Martha,

I'm glad you found that warning. This is a good article on red flags for scams:
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

I also recommend reading about fixed-rate and hourly contracts and also familiarizing yourself with the process of receiving and accepting an offer. Lately, people are sometimes starting fake jobs without contracts. Scammers then tell them that there are bank charges involved with sending them payments for the time they spent working on the fake job.

Also be cautious of any files people send you.

Hello Renata,

I did the Google search out of curiosity, as I said. 

I could even tell you I smell scammers, but I placed a bid on this job because it offered an average payment. Scammers, on the other hand, offer high rates, above US$ 500, some even go up to US$ 1,000. 

Thanks for the advice, I always flag these types of proposals and I have read the articles you mentioned. I think all freelancers working through the platform have. If not, how did they manage to pass the test? 🤔

Regarding the files they attach to the proposals, I think it would be up to the staff to check whether they contain virus or troyans or similar bugs. If you do not see the sample they are sending, how do you know what they are referring to? This is a good question.

Anyway, thanks for your comment.

I think all freelancers working through the platform have. If not, how did they manage to pass the test? 

The get the cheat sheet from the internet and mindlessly fill out the test. 

Most people that get scammed simply chose to not educate themselves how everything works and what they should avoid. 

😄 I had not thought about that. I read every file in order to do the test. And I thought I was pretty smart 🧠 

6439d151
Community Member

I also almost got scammed by a bunch of guys known as sharethrough. 

They are terrible!!!

c6ef87fb
Community Member

This sharethough guys are  bunch of scammers.  I have worked for 200 pages images to retype into words, after sending the file they're asking to pay for the ID processing fee of 220$. Its ridiculus! I Have been working working for 2 days to finish the project. And I could not get my pay if I did not send the fee.

You need to be formally hired on Upwork before starting working, either on a fixed price contract or an hourly contract. Also, communicating outside of Upwork is a violation of Terms of Service. Make sure to familiarize yourself with how the platform works before sending more proposal.

Carissa C wrote:

This sharethough guys are  bunch of scammers.  I have worked for 200 pages images to retype into words, after sending the file they're asking to pay for the ID processing fee of 220$. Its ridiculus! I Have been working working for 2 days to finish the project. And I could not get my pay if I did not send the fee.

This is a scam.

You will not get any payment. If you pay their fee, they will ask for more money until you give up.

There is no job. There never was any job. This is part of their scam. 

I think the way we should deal with scammers is have a thread where all the whats app numbers get posted and then we all just randomly message them whenever throughout the day with trash. I reckon there are more of us than them and that would cause them an issue. 🤣

They use fake numbers for this or do you think they use their own? Most of them use Telegram, there you don't have to share your phone number. 

No thanks I'm not going to risk my profile just trying to annoy scammers.

If you had sent the money for the fee, you wouldn't have get it either 😁

I would also add that this kind of work is completely fake work, too, because anyone serious would hire a Python / Linux developer to knock up a script in a couple of hours or so... or even better, use someone who already has one.

I struggle to see why a client with any nous would be askiing for this work to be performed manually.

It is sadistic to do so given the simple technologies available, and so this type of posting is a red flag that the entire operation is an exercise in sadism.

Couple that with requesting contact details outside of the platform, and hopefully very loud alarm bells will start to ring for people.

It's hard to maintain trust in the good ones and also to carry the knowledge of the sheer levels of this sadism in our society, and in the online world.  But we really need to know it if we are to avoid it.

e7e7a9af
Community Member

I'm new in upwork and I would like to know if this is normal?

COMPANY NAME - ************************

Freelancer work

Kindly read the details and let us know want to work..

project budget is 1000 EURO

Large number of books are converted into Ebooks regularly.This is a typing project.

Terms and Condition
if any extra or duplicate file found in the zip file work will be rejected and you will get your security refund.

HOW TO START
Before we proceed I must want to explain you. For some safety and work assurance purpose You have to deposit a security fund for this work because our books are not published yet so that we need our work security.f you want to work with us kindly Reply Us.

if you want to go through freelancer then you need to have indian GSTN id number and for internationals then you need to have ITIN number.if you don't have anything from them then we have a local team support for you kindly message us
Number of pages - 200
per pages - 5 EURO
Payment Cycle- We will Pay You On Every 25 Page.
deadline - we need 25 pages every 4 to 5 days... and we need 200 pages in 60 to 80 days its long term project..

Security Deposit- 40 EURO , It is necessary for our work assurance.our book is not published yet thats why we need security for our work.your deposit will be refund to you with your first 25 Pages payout.

you will get your work on your email address within 5-10 minutes..
after submission your first assignment next assignment will be given after checking your accuracy and it will take almost 1 day.

Accuracy 90% (below 75% accuracy you will get 4$ per pages).

THANKS.

Hello Nadine,

Thank you for your report. Please note that we do not encourage freelancers to pay any registration or security fees to the client. I will forward your report to the relevant team to review these jobs for TOS violations. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Pradeep H wrote:

Hello Nadine,

Thank you for your report. Please note that we do not encourage freelancers to pay any registration or security fees to the client. I will forward your report to the relevant team to review these jobs for TOS violations.  [...]

Pradeep,

By saying Upwork does not "encourage" freelancers to pay a registration fee, presupposes that it does not veto it either. I thought this sort of activity was strictly against Upwork's ToS?  I wonder if you would be kind enough clarify this statement. 

Also these are not clients but people who are  posing fraudulently as clients with the intention of robbing unwary freelancers and, of course, Upwork. 

Hi Nadine.

Did they send that message in the UpWork platform chat? That is really strange...

They hardly ever do that. They always ask you to contact them outside the platform and then, they send this message using either Telegram or What'sApp.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths