🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Frequent issue: Clients posting 'hourly' jobs...
Page options
shairston13
Community Member

Frequent issue: Clients posting 'hourly' jobs that aren't hourly

Hello, all,

I just had my most recent experience of putting in the time and effort to apply for an hourly job - writing the cover letter, answering all the questions, looking up and linking all my samples - only for the client to reply back that actually, they don't want to pay an hourly rate, they want to pay a per-word rate. This was a Plus client saying specifically that they wanted long-term work.

I no longer do per-word contracts for many reasons, the biggest being that I've found most clients want to include multiple non-writing tasks that are variable and make it impossible to figure out what the equivalent to your hourly rate would be.

I asked this guy if he'd consider in the future not posting a job as hourly that he never intended to be an hourly job/contract. He was actually pretty nice about my mildly confrontational message and explained that there is no way to charge a per-word rate on Upwork. I explained to him the difference between fixed-price and hourly contracts and sent him the link to the article about the differences. He explained that the issue is that he actually doesn't know or have a fixed price for the entire long-term project.

Is there a way to fix this? It wastes a lot of clients' and freelancers' time when freelancers only want to apply for hourly contracts, and clients post jobs as hourly jobs because they don't know how to post them as per-word/per-assignment jobs. I don't know if this is an issue of client education, or of tweaking the system to allow for milestone-based contracts that the client doesn't necessarily have a fixed price for, or what, but it is frustrating to repeatedly feel like I'm being bait-and-switched when I apply for hourly jobs that aren't actually hourly.

3 REPLIES 3
a_lipsey
Community Member

Stephanie H wrote:

Hello, all,

I just had my most recent experience of putting in the time and effort to apply for an hourly job - writing the cover letter, answering all the questions, looking up and linking all my samples - only for the client to reply back that actually, they don't want to pay an hourly rate, they want to pay a per-word rate. This was a Plus client saying specifically that they wanted long-term work.

I no longer do per-word contracts for many reasons, the biggest being that I've found most clients want to include multiple non-writing tasks that are variable and make it impossible to figure out what the equivalent to your hourly rate would be.

I asked this guy if he'd consider in the future not posting a job as hourly that he never intended to be an hourly job/contract. He was actually pretty nice about my mildly confrontational message and explained that there is no way to charge a per-word rate on Upwork. I explained to him the difference between fixed-price and hourly contracts and sent him the link to the article about the differences. He explained that the issue is that he actually doesn't know or have a fixed price for the entire long-term project.

Is there a way to fix this? It wastes a lot of clients' and freelancers' time when freelancers only want to apply for hourly contracts, and clients post jobs as hourly jobs because they don't know how to post them as per-word/per-assignment jobs. I don't know if this is an issue of client education, or of tweaking the system to allow for milestone-based contracts that the client doesn't necessarily have a fixed price for, or what, but it is frustrating to repeatedly feel like I'm being bait-and-switched when I apply for hourly jobs that aren't actually hourly.

I wish I had a better answer for this, because I don't think you're going to like my response. I understand your frustration because you work a specific  way. Unfortunately contracting and creating a scope of work for many of us is  a fluid negotiation process. I've taken fixed rate jobs that were posted as hourly and vice versa, after I discussed with the client their specific needs. They often don't understand what the implication of fixed price or hourly means and part of my job closing the deal is working with them to  figure out the best format for us both. 

In your situation, if they want to work fixed price, I would determine a very specific scope of work,  and make it very clear that anything outside those 500 or however many words is not included.  I'm sure there are other writers and editors here that can chime in on how they deal with this issue and give you some advice on how to set it up so you can still take the gig but get your rate and not experience scope creep. 

Yes, I have negotiated in similar ways with clients before. I've just had enough experiences at this point to know that it's not worth my time to put in the effort with clients who don't want to pay hourly on Upwork. I've learned that there's a reason they don't want to pay hourly to begin with.

I get that dealing with clients who want to pay bargain-basement rates for expert-level work is just part of life on Upwork, which is why I limit the number of jobs I apply to. I know there are clients on here who are a good match for me, I just wish it was easier to find them and not waste my time with someone who is listed as a "Plus" client who just wants to pull the same shenanigans as most other clients.

To the extent that these shenanigans reflect ignorance or laziness rather than malice, I think it would help to give clients more intuitive options for the types of jobs they post. I think there are a lot of clients who would post more honest job listings if they felt they had options that reflected the actual contract they wanted to have, saving everyone some time.

Stephanie H wrote:

To the extent that these shenanigans reflect ignorance or laziness rather than malice, I think it would help to give clients more intuitive options for the types of jobs they post. I think there are a lot of clients who would post more honest job listings if they felt they had options that reflected the actual contract they wanted to have, saving everyone some time.

I agree. There's a lot on the client interface side that could be improved. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members