🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Frustrated with Job posts that waste our conn...
Page options
soniakash77
Community Member

Is that connects are incresed to 16 to 19 connect

I have recently seem that my proposal are about to 19 connect is that true? 

405 REPLIES 405

Too bad that Upwork is not a 'small company' 

mdbutnayem
Community Member

They have taken this measure to reduce scammers from Upwork

They have taken this measure to make money!

Yeah, this is also true

Any anual report to back up this claim?
Or is the community just speculating with theory!

Exactly - let's not pretend that things are being done to reduce the number of 'irrelevant' posts.

Scammer increased 

arif_tarafdar
Community Member

I think Upwork should go back their previous business model of giving 60 free connections to every freelancer. I don't understand why a freelancer have to invest money to get connections as they're giving a part of their income on each project. Also it's really frustrating to bid a job using more than 2 connections. 

It is profitable for Upwork. Forgot, noone will kill goose laying golden eggs.

I vote for a high monthly subscription >$20 and NO cinnectes BS  !

That keeps the low end clints and freelancers oit opf the system and only suits higher end, and true business pracftitioners.

This invite the world in is like having a tent city in your backyard!

If you want to play in the mmodern world - you pay!

Look at Cable/Satellite TV. You can record and Zip past commercials on that.
The modern ecuivelent (Streaming) prevents most recording, because it's VOD, and you have to sit past, all-be-it shorter but more frequent, COMMERCIALS.

And while on that subject - why does UW not profit too from ads!
seems the software people would bite - Like Adobe sort of does!

afaytaren
Community Member

This is a good example that shows how boosting a proposal doesnt work not unless you are crazy to put in a bid of more than 50 connects to ensure that you stay on the top 4 slots.  Your chances of getting your proposal viewed if you boosted your proposale and got outbid.  Your proposal gets junked and have lower chances than those that did not boosted.

afaytaren_0-1714738504377.png

And organic one is more than boosted

Yes I donot boost as well and still get views your profile is much stronger, it comes down to a few key factors such as how much earnings, Jss, cover letter and relevant samples and of course the how top in line you can be

wrote:

Your proposal gets junked and have lower chances than those that did not boosted.

No, your proposal does not "get junked" or have a lower chance of success - where did you get that idea from? If you're outboosted, your proposal goes to the same location on the list that it would have done if you had never boosted.

You have valid proof that this is true?  The mere fact that they dont want to inform you what page you are on for all the proposals submitted goes to show what you said hardly likely.

You are aware of the "Other Proposals" tab?  This is the equivelant of the trash bin, where the algorithm somehow deems some proposals as less relevant, and they are hit from clients unless the client actively seeks to open this tab to reveal those proposals.  

khushbu_gohil
Community Member

Hii everyone!

One client posted same job and connects have huge difference almost 4x more.

you can find in attachment, both job posted by same client and same requirements so why different connects mediators can suggest why this happening? Because it's 4x more connects required in 2nd job and why open job not reflecting under client's profile like 1 open job 0% hiring rate? Again bug!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

The higher number of connects is because one job says that it's going to last for less than a month, the other says 1-3 months. Jobs that are longer in duration cost more connects. Also, I didn't see how many proposals each job has before Upwork removed your screen captures (you should know by now that this isn't allowed in the forum), but one of the job listings had a fairly high hourly rate, so it probably has more proposals; the more proposals a job has, the more connects it costs - this is supposed to prevent clients from receiving too many bids.

The number of connects is determined by algorithm, so it's not like a human is reading these job descriptions and thinking, "oh, this is the same job so it should cost the same number of connects." It's not a perfect system by any means, but that doesn't mean there's a bug, either.

I still think the reply rate and profile view rate has gone down a lot since the last increase of connects and yes less people are submitting proposals. The clients are confused as they may not know the issue. They might have concern as less proposals are coming so there is less trust on the system too and so they are viewing less and awarding less jobs because they might have in mind if less people are applying then the system is losing people and if I work over here the dev or freelancer may leave later without finishing work or may not be available for support and maintenance.

What do you think

Yeah looks like that 

jessalou14
Community Member

What also irks me is when a client falsely makes a job posting, example it shows as an hourly job, only to find out it would be a fixed price or an output based compensation. We should be refunded for that! If you apply in good faith, the client must also make a job posting in good faith. No one should be making money off a false advertisement.

ALso the same job is posted quite a few times as the clients may not be receiving the amount of proposals they think is required to select from

afaytaren
Community Member

Jeez, the amount of connects needed to bid are going insane.

afaytaren_0-1715914813440.png

All for a job that has less than a 1/5 odds of even hiring anyone!  (From my own data).  Freelancers are throwing their money down the toilet. 

I stopped bidding on jobs last year because the cost of connects has become insane. Nowadays, I just wait for clients to invite me instead. It's frustrating because so many job posts seem to be scams these days, and it feels like a waste of Connects to apply to them.

I feel this too. So many sus jobs

Hi, I am facing the same issue. I am new here and to apply I need more connects. Is there a way to get around? 

Unfortunately, no.  There is no work around.  You really need a lot of luck to get a job now regardless if you are the best fit for a job posting. The algorithm works against you and the client.

I'm so confused -- I just saw a job where the bid range was between ~550 and ~750 connects 😕 -- why is anyone spending that? I guess Upwork's scheme is working out for them if they can get freelancers to shell out nearly $400 just to apply for something.

There is even no guarantee that these bids are real.  

Might possible that's just illusion and bot generated.

I come across one scenario with client and know that no one send proposal to his job only me and when I applied there are 4 list of boost and he said no he didn't received any ones proposal except me so after that I guess there is possibility of illusion by bot for boosting as well.

Plenty of suspect jobs, spam as well. But Upwork does not seem to care. Which again raises my suspicion they just want us to throw our connects out. 

joostdoevelaar_0-1715920827556.png

Bad management by Freelancers.

I check all  details and resaerch my clients before making a proposal.
Anything unusual or not in my likeing- I just don't propose.
These "high rollers" are just inadequate at thire profession and trying to buy work
Clients run away from these folks anyway as they come off as Ued Car Salesmen from the 70's

afaytaren
Community Member

Funny how moderators keep merging posts so that it gets buried and not on top of forum topics.  Very sus moves.

crart
Community Member

It's called "damage control" and is popular among corpos that prefer dishonesty and manipulation over fair practices.

tjmisny
Community Member

This is why we have to keep making noise - to make it harder and harder for the corruption to be swept under the rug.

I already said they have time for merging instead of that they reply something....means something is true that's why silence 

b9797784
Community Member

It's really frustrating when a client posts a job and specifies their hourly rate budget, and in the interview phase, the client will ask for a fixed price that is really low and telling me that that's their budget. Why not just specify in the job post of their "Real" budget instead of making it look like a big budget project just for freelancers to apply and waste connects and time?

This is really frustrating because it doesn't just waste my connects, but it also waste my time creating proposals and meeting with clients. This happened to me multiple times already and its really concerning.

I hope that upwork does something with this issue.

They can't do anything about it.  It is a loophole that is being exploited by the Client's and they wont do anything as it benefits them as it burns a lot of Freelancer connects.

If they have loopholes like this, connects shouldn't be this expensive. 

I am also wondering why my topic is here on other people's topic and can't find it in the forums page.....

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members