🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Getting Paid from Unresponsive Client
Page options
Community Member

Getting Paid from Unresponsive Client

I did some work for a client about 2 weeks ago now. My client decided to not continue working with me, after I completed the work and sent it back to her. She requested a refund saying that she never asked for the work completed. I have proof that she did and I completed exactly what she wanted. I ended the contract, though have not heard back from her in almost a week. How do I get paid for this contract? Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

If this is a FIXED-PRICE CONTRACT:

As a freelancer, I get paid AUTOMATICALLY if a client is unresponsive.

re: "I did some work for a client about 2 weeks ago now. My client decided to not continue working with me, after I completed the work and sent it back to her. She requested a refund saying that she never asked for the work completed."

There are:

- unresponsive clients

- clients who ask for a refund

By definition, these are not the same thing.

If I submit my work for a fixed-price contract and the client is UNRESPONSIVE, then I get paid AUTOMATICALLY.

Upwork will release ALL the money in escrow to me.

If a client asks for a refund, the client is not "unresponsive." The client DID something.

If the client FORMALLY asks for a refund, then the client's request BLOCKS payment from being released to the me.

If I do nothing, then all escrow money will go back to the client.

But I can DECLINE the refund request. That creates a "dispute."

The matter then goes to "mediation."

An Upwork mediator will ask the freelancer and the client questions. I the client is "unresponsive," then the matter will be decided in favor of the freelancer, and all money will go to the freelancer.

As you can see: It is GOOD if a client is unresponsive. When a client is unresponsive, that helps ensure that I get paid.

If a client did not FORMALLY click the buttons to request a refund, then I don’t need to do anything to officially decline the refund request. I can simply send a brief polite message asking about that, or saying that I can’t do that. Or I can even ignore it. It depends on the precise situation and it depends on what the client actually said.

An informal message asking for a refund is not the same thing as a formal/official refund request.

re: “I ended the contract, though have not heard back from her in almost a week. How do I get paid for this contract?”

If this is a fixed-price contract, and the freelancer ended the contract,  then all remaining escrow money is automatically returned to the client.

prestonhunter
Community Member

If this is an HOURLY CONTRACT:

You probably don’t need to do anything.

You get paid based on the hours that you logged.

Automatically.

The client doesn’t need to respond. The client doesn’t approve hours or do anything.

It doesn’t matter who ends the contract.

If the client informally asked for a refund, or clicked a button that generated a refund request button for your hourly earnings, you do not need to agree to that refund request. You can politely decline the request. Or ask questions about why the client is asking for a refund.

Note that it is NOT Upwork’s intention that clients hire freelancers using an hourly contract and then not pay those freelancers for their time. If you received a request to refund your hourly earnings, it is a mostly toothless request. The client can’t force a refund that way. No matter what, be polite and professional on your communication. But don’t give the client your money.

When I work, I follow the rules for Upwork Payment Protection. So even if a client clicks the official button to dispute time thst I logged and try to get a refund, Upwork will block that request and make sure I get paid.

Thank you this helps a lot!

She submitted a formal request for a refund, but I have no option to deny the request. I sent a message in response explaining why I wasn't giving it, but I have just left it.

Hourly or fixed-price?

It was hourly. I logged all my times with details as to what I completed then.

You had an hourly contract.

So it does not matter what you do if the client clicked the button to dispute your time.

If the client clicks the button within five days after the work week ended AND if you did not follow the rules of Upwork Payment Protection, then the refund will be granted.

Otherwise, you will get paid.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members