Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good job Upwork on now reviewing profiles

Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
1 of 30

I think this is a major step to making this a more professional website.  I just want to make a suggestion.  Yes it will take a bit of investment, but I think your ROI will be substantial.

I am one of the most active people on pointing out fake profiles and this new profile review is great.  And even though most of the "please review my profile" postings are fake or copied, I have seen some really good profiles and professionals turned down.  

My suggestion would be to hire a team to review existing profiles for people who haven't been active for say about six months and boot them leaving room for new qualified freelance professionals to come in.  This will shift the platform to be a more professional one.  Also get rid of data entry.  My 11 year old can do data entry.  I love this platform and I have great success here and I think this can be the number one place for professionals.  Like I said I think the ROI will be tremendous. 

Thanks. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Highlighted
Community Guru
Kholleras I Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
2 of 30

I've been hoping that Upwork would do something like this, and I've been dreaming about being on such a team. It would bring me unspeakable joy to get rid of all the shady and dishonest people on Upwork.

At the very least, the profile review needs to involve reviewing for more than freelancers who want to work in saturated markets. It's absolutely comical when one of the moderators comments that someone's profile has been accepted just a short while after a Community member mentions that the photo is fake or the portfolio is plagiarized.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
3 of 30

Upwork tolerates profile and portfolios that are stolen. This is not a criterium for canceling a profile.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 30

I'm lost. Has there been an official announcement on this?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
5 of 30

No I don't think so.  I'm just going by all the forum posts and Upwork's Facebook posts of all the people saying their profiles are rejected because there is no room in the marketplace for their skill set.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
6 of 30

Of course, people post profiles, mostly for data entry.  The Powers That Be send them an email saying there is no work for them on this platform. Then they ask what's wrong with their profile, instead of understanding that for whatever reason, they won't find work on Upwork.

I like the profile review system as far as it goes.  I just wish they would institute a required readiness test like Odesk had, after the profile is approved but before they get connects and can bid.  I think it would definitely ease the pressure on CS and the mods and reduce the drivel on the forums.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
7 of 30

@Nichola L wrote:

I'm lost. Has there been an official announcement on this?

Yes

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Additional-review-for-new-freelancers-that-want-to-joi...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
8 of 30

I really would have liked to have seen agencies brought in on that as many of them are farming out cheap labor, but the change was better then no reviews at all.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 30

From what I have seen, Upwork is sometimes being polite and telling people that their profiles are not approved due to lack of opportunities for hem, when the real reason their profile is not approved is that it is horrible or they stole their overview text or portfolio content.

I don't mind the politeness that might not be 100% accurate. The important thing is that these poor prospects are not being allowed onto the platform.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 30

re: "Also get rid of data entry. My 11 year old can do data entry."

It is true that people should not aspire to do data entry. But I think there's a place for such jobs on Upwork.

I actually do think Upwork has been limiting the number of new contractors in this field.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS