Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Green box with white dots near "messages"

motyduke
Community Guru
Olivier P Member Since: May 25, 2015
1 of 14

Since 2 days now , when i go to my home page i have near the field "messages" a small green box with 3 white dots:

i dont know the meaning . i think it was like " you have new messages" but no, when i have messages i see the number . If it is a new thing why nobody announce it and explain ?

d_lidwell
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
2 of 14

I had the same thing yesterday, and part of today. Then, sometime this morning I noticed that it changed to that same green box, with a number 1 inside... as if I had one unread message. However, when I opened my messages page, there were no new messages. I think it's just another bug that the Upwork team needs to try to fix. I've learned to not pay much attention to that indictor, and instead just keep a close eye on my email notifications for new messages.

motyduke
Community Guru
Olivier P Member Since: May 25, 2015
3 of 14

Thanks Dawn for your answer . I have the same feeling but maybe someone from Upwork can answer and give us the real reason of this.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 14

Hi Olivier,

If you see an icon with three dots next to the Messages it means that you have selected to count only message with @mention of the user or messages in the 1:1 rooms and you have messages in your inbox that don't meet those criteria in one of your rooms. You can change what messages you would like to be counted by going to your Settings > Notifications:

notification.png

~ Valeria
Upwork
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 14

Now I know why I will never be able to use the new message system. What is 1:1? What is the :1? Is there a 1:2 and so forth until it becomes 2 and then 2:1?

For @ do you mean the ordinary word 'at'? As opposed to the @something.com.

What is a message counter? Is this something that counts messages or is it something you find in an old-fashioned shop where you put your goodies before you pay for them?

For people like me. Is there a year's (free) course to start to grasp how this will work?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
6 of 14

Hi Nichola,

Sorry about the confusion. Let me explain.

1:1 room is a conversation that includes you and one other person, usually your client. The new Messages system allows including more than 2 people in the room which simplifies communication for bigger teams. Often a room includes many people and if one person wants to specifically address another person within the room, they can tag them by typing @ and then that person's name. The setting I was referring to allows you to customize your notifications for such messages.

~ Valeria
Upwork
colettelewis
Community Guru
7 of 14

Thanks Valeria,

But what about ordinary freelancers who don't do teams?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
8 of 14

Nichola, you can select to receive Notifications For All Activity. It's the first option in the Notification settings.

~ Valeria
Upwork
stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
9 of 14

Please leave us the old system. Please. Please. It's not because I'm stupid - far from it - I've more letters after my name than there are in many client job postings. But my years of study are over. I want to work. I don't want to waste half of my life working out how this thing is supposed to work and what it all means - and why it's supposed to be a good idea. I want a message system: I send people messages; they send me messages. Some of them have attachments. They are in chronological order. Simples.

colettelewis
Community Guru
10 of 14

You probably have more letters after your name than the whole Upwork team put together.  But then, they don't do words - just algorithms!

I'm glad I am not a mother these days. Teaching a child to read or write - is a quaint old-fashioned concept.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS