cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Searching for job, applied for 20 jobs but haven't got a single response!

Highlighted
Tarun J Member Since: Jul 19, 2012
1 of 13
I'm a rails developer. I'm not getting any jobs. Can somebody have a look at my profile and let me know if something is wrong with it? I'm good at rails, I've done projects before(not on odesk but), still no responses from any of the clients. I'm bidding on all hourly jobs, is there something wrong with that? Can anybody also tell me how to get associated with a company that can give jobs in odesk? Thanks, Tarun
Ace Contributor
Alexander N Member Since: Sep 14, 2013
2 of 13
Apply to 200, then 2000, then maybe you'll get some. Complete some tests to make your profile look more attractive. Also, I'd suggest to expand overview section, but tune down tone, to something calmer and show more relaxed approach to work.
3 of 13
Okay, I will fine tune the overview section, to make it more calmer. Thanks
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Feb 20, 2009
4 of 13
It took me 3 months to land my first oDesk job. You will need to apply for a lot more jobs before you land one. Plus you have done no tests to back up the comment - "rock-solid Ruby on Rails development" so I doubt anyone believes you
5 of 13
Actually I've cleared a few tests. Although I've passed, but the test scores are below average. Do you think I should still display the test scores?
Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
6 of 13
[quote=Tarun J.] Can anybody also tell me how to get associated with a company that can give jobs in odesk? Thanks, Tarun[/quote] Most clients I know skip agency freelancers. Having an agency on your profile will not help, it will actually make it harder for you to get a job. If you still want to join an agency (you need to get invited), at least make sure you will be Non-exclusive. Exclusive Agency contractors can only work on behalf of the agency. The team’s financial account controls all their earnings. They cannot control their rates. Non-exclusive Agency contractors can work as agency contractors and as independent freelancers. The agency can only control their agency job applications and contracts. A user can be a non-exclusive agency contractor in multiple agencies Even if you are not exclusive, oDesk will still display this message to clients, making it look like you are not an independent freelancer: Note: Name is associated with an agency. Your message will be sent to the agency manager. I did submit a ticket about this, still no solution. That message should not be displayed for those who are non-exclusive.
7 of 13
But the agencies do give projects, right? I Just want to increase the chances of working on a project instead of sitting idle. I've seen freelancers that are associated with an agency always have some ongoing projects, isn't that true?
Melissa S Member Since: Sep 28, 2008
8 of 13
Like others have said, take tests to prove yourself. I'm not sure what your hourly is, since I didn't look at your profile, but I will tell you how I landed my first job. I bid wayyyyy less than everyone else, then I worked like mad to impress. This got me my first job.
Najie B Member Since: Oct 8, 2013
9 of 13
Hi first of all nice to meet you. I take a look at your profile and it seems that you're good when it comes to your work, you had an excellent feedback from your previous clients. Maybe what can I say is to work for your overview and take some test that is related with your knowledge and skills. I also take some hard times looking for a job here in oDesk. But after reading those advice from those people who posted on my topics in this forum, accepted their criticism, and implement the things I've learned from them. Finally I got a job. Don't lose hope, if you care about then you should do something about it. ------------------- Hi experts. Can you view my profile and tell me what else I need to do to improve it much better? I hope you can help me also, I had 3 contracts but I want to cover at least 14 Hours of my day, I am a workaholic and also in need Smiley Happy . Cheers, AvJ
Community Guru
Margaret P Member Since: Jul 7, 2007
10 of 13
Najie, Is that a photo of you or your child in your profile? I think you have been told before to change it to something more professional. It looks like a 10 year old sitting in school. If you want to be taken seriously then put an adult photo up there. That will definitely improve your profile and chances of landing a job. If you don't have one then just remove what is there, it is doing you no favors.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS