🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Help! Client started contract with me, then p...
Page options
simple_sam
Community Member

Help! Client started contract with me, then paused it, and now no response

Should I cancel this contract? I worked 2 hours and this client abruptly paused the contract and revoked my edit access in figma. Everything was going great we had a meeting and seemed to reallly like eachother, I dont know what happened. I've tried to reach out but no response is being given, even when I see this client go online and offline. I'm afraid that If I cancel this project the client will leave feedback and say I "didnt do a good job or something had to pause". If I cancel the project first will their feedback show up on my profile? If this person decides to leave it

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Clients are allowed to pause a contract at any time.

Clients are not required to respond to freelancers.

Should you cancel this contract?
How long has it been since the client paused the contract?
If it was yesterday, I recommend not closing the contract.

If it was a month ago... Go ahead and close it.

It isn't doing you any good.

If the client wants you to do some more work for him, knows where to find you. It is easy (and free) to create a new contract to re-hire a freelancer.

re: "I dont know what happened."

If I'm the freelancer:
I don't care what happened.

It's the client's project. Not mine.

Maybe he got married. Maybe he joined a football team. Who knows.

re: "I've tried to reach out but no response is being given, even when I see this client go online and offline."

I have never looked to see if a client is "online" or "offline."

I strongly recommend that freelancers don't do that. It provides no benefit.

re: "I'm afraid that If I cancel this project the client will leave feedback and say I 'didnt do a good job or something had to pause'. If I cancel the project first will their feedback show up on my profile? If this person decides to leave it"

If it has been quite a while, I seriously doubt that the client is going to leave any feedback at all.

If you want to leave the contract open, leave it open. If you want to close it, then close it.

If you close the contract, the client will have 14 days during which he may leave feedback. If no feedback is left during that time, then the window is closed and the client can't leave feedback.

View solution in original post

re: "If I end contracts myself, do clients feedback showup on my profile?"

No.

Of you close a contract and the client doesn't take advantage of the 14-day opportunity to leave feedback, no client feedback will appear on your profile.

re: "Also is it good to check in every few days with the client?"

I don't.

The client knows where you are.

The client knows that he paused the contract.

The client knows that you aren't working on the project.

How would it help the client to check in with him?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

Clients are allowed to pause a contract at any time.

Clients are not required to respond to freelancers.

Should you cancel this contract?
How long has it been since the client paused the contract?
If it was yesterday, I recommend not closing the contract.

If it was a month ago... Go ahead and close it.

It isn't doing you any good.

If the client wants you to do some more work for him, knows where to find you. It is easy (and free) to create a new contract to re-hire a freelancer.

re: "I dont know what happened."

If I'm the freelancer:
I don't care what happened.

It's the client's project. Not mine.

Maybe he got married. Maybe he joined a football team. Who knows.

re: "I've tried to reach out but no response is being given, even when I see this client go online and offline."

I have never looked to see if a client is "online" or "offline."

I strongly recommend that freelancers don't do that. It provides no benefit.

re: "I'm afraid that If I cancel this project the client will leave feedback and say I 'didnt do a good job or something had to pause'. If I cancel the project first will their feedback show up on my profile? If this person decides to leave it"

If it has been quite a while, I seriously doubt that the client is going to leave any feedback at all.

If you want to leave the contract open, leave it open. If you want to close it, then close it.

If you close the contract, the client will have 14 days during which he may leave feedback. If no feedback is left during that time, then the window is closed and the client can't leave feedback.

Contract was paused on the 28th. So I should not close since it was two days ago? I'm curious, If I end contracts myself, do clients feedback showup on my profile? Also is it good to check in every few days with the client?

re: "If I end contracts myself, do clients feedback showup on my profile?"

No.

Of you close a contract and the client doesn't take advantage of the 14-day opportunity to leave feedback, no client feedback will appear on your profile.

re: "Also is it good to check in every few days with the client?"

I don't.

The client knows where you are.

The client knows that he paused the contract.

The client knows that you aren't working on the project.

How would it help the client to check in with him?

Understood. Thank you for your prompt response.

Ryan B wrote:

Contract was paused on the 28th. So I should not close since it was two days ago? I'm curious, If I end contracts myself, do clients feedback showup on my profile? Also is it good to check in every few days with the client?

28th of September 2021? Really?

Well, patience doesn't seem to be your strong suit. 

Forget about this contract. Don't contact the client again. Focus on other things. 

If you have not heard from this client by the end of this year, go ahead and end it. 

When you end a contract, you have to leave feedback. The client can then leave his feedback within 14 days, but many don't do that if some time has passed and they have forgotten about the matter. 

Thank you for your feedback

I would probably watch the job post for a few days to see if they hire someone else or posted a new job, then I'd know that they don't like my work and fired me.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members