🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Help for a Newbie
Page options
e2864051
Community Member

Help for a Newbie

Hello guys,

I'm seeking advice and direction over a copyright issue.

6 REPLIES 6
8c653a80
Community Member

It sounds like you have a potential copyright infringement issue, and it's important to address it promptly to protect your rights and interests. Here are steps you can take:

1. Gather Evidence: Collect all relevant evidence, including the original designs created by your students, any communications with the firm, and any other documentation that demonstrates your ownership of the designs.

ChatGPT said steps, where are they?

ChatGPT got tired of her endless queries, and provided just the first step. 

Thank you for taking the time. Its certainly been avoided and will certainly take your advice, I have the original designs which should help.

celgins
Community Member

This is definitely a copyright infringment issue; however, I hesitate to offer advice since U.K. copyright law may be different from U.S. copyright law. The best (and most expensive) approach is to consult a U.K.-based copyright lawyer.

In the U.S.--and I suspect the same holds true across Europe and most other countries in the world--the designer or original author of a work holds the copyright. An original artistic creation is protected under copyright law, and the copyright automatically applies to the original work after it's designed. Meaning, the author isn't required to officially declare it copyrighted or add the (C) to the design.

Copyright exists automatically in an original work of authorship once it's fixed, but the copyright owner can take steps to enhance the protections (i.e., registering the work).

Again--this is U.S. copyright law, but I suspect it's quite similar in the U.K.

e2864051
Community Member

Thank you for your advice I will certainly look into this for the UK although from what I understand, it sounds quite standard in terms of ownership.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members