Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please- struggling with first job decision

Highlighted
Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
11 of 21

Smiley Happy Petra, aren't you being too optimistic; too lenient with this client?

Unless he/she gets to explain it was a typo, I wouldn't trust someone who makes an offer of $10 changing it to $100 or something like that. I'd be thinking all the while what he/she has up her sleeve to unleash at my most vulnerable. Surely the client's budget is one of the important factors a contractor looks at before applying for a job.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
12 of 21

@MERCY N wrote:

Smiley Happy Petra, aren't you being too optimistic; too lenient with this client?

Unless he/she gets to explain it was a typo, I wouldn't trust someone who makes an offer of $10 changing it to $100 or something like that. I'd be thinking all the while what he/she has up her sleeve to unleash at my most vulnerable. Surely the client's budget is one of the important factors a contractor looks at before applying for a job.

One man's trash is another man's treasure!!

It's time to stop referring to clients as being "cheap."

I hope you understand.

Highlighted
Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
13 of 21

"... It's time to stop referring to clients as being "cheap."

I hope you understand..."

Jean S - sorry, but I sincerely do not understand. I do not see myself calling a client 'cheap' on this thread or elsewhere. What I'm I missing here?

Highlighted
Rachael D Member Since: Sep 2, 2015
14 of 21
Thanks for all your replies- really appreciated. It is definitely a contract fee and the client was very clear on that. Essentially, he has an idea which I am not confortable with ethically, and I suppose I was merely looking for reassurance on this forum/ backing to not take the job. I'm very relieved to hear that my own warning bells were valid.

He wants to replicate a business model and basically 'copy' other successful websites which sell a particular service. He has limited research and wants the content writer to essentially research the entire business and write it all for him. Additionally, he had also hired a web developer to produce the designs. He even asked me to project manage a junior and sold it as: 'you can delegate some of your work load.'

I slept on it, I posted on here and I am now declining.

Thanks very much!
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 21

@Rachael D wrote:
. Essentially, he has an idea which I am not confortable with ethically,

THAT is the killer, budget aside.

Highlighted
16 of 21

- absolutely not an hourly paid contract Petra  R.

Highlighted
17 of 21
Agreed!
Highlighted
Community Leader
William M Member Since: Feb 10, 2015
18 of 21

@Rachael D wrote:

(I haven't actually started applying for jobs as yet, but this opportunity presented itself to me.)

"Opportunity" is such an optimistic word. No one says, "I was out driving today and I had the opportunity to smash my car into a bridge abutment."

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
19 of 21

Good for you for sticking to your guns!

I was unemployed a year+ ago and anxious to get work, and started out bidding for jobs at less of an hourly rate than what my experience commands, and soon I regretted it. After a couple of jobs, I raised it back up to where I was comfortable, and guess what? There were plenty of clients willing to pay for the work.

Of course you are anxious to start building a reputation and making money, but if you turn down jobs that are an insult, you will maintain your professionalism, and as a second benefit, show the client that job postings at that low rate are unacceptable. Too bad everyone doesn't turn these low bids down and raise the standard here on Upwork to a decent level.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
20 of 21

"I've set my hourly rate lower than what I feel I'm worth"

That's always a bad start.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS