Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hidden applications of a Job

stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
21 of 60

@Valeria,

With respect, your faith in the ability of Upwork's algorithms, robots, or call them what you will to decide which applications are the best fit for a job is admirable. However, history has shown that the algorithms are simply not very good at making these decisions. Is this what the "Good Fit" algorithm was mothballed for - to re-introduce it in different clothes?

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
22 of 60

@Mariska P wrote:

Wait. 

So the client states their budget and you can't put that amount in..example, 50 bux budget, you put in 50 bux as a bid and it won't allow it til you get to rock bottom???? 

If the client has a 16 dollar budget the client shouldn't be allowed to say it's a 50 buck budget. 

I'm getting confused now as to how this is going to be another great idea. I'm not excited by this at all. not ONE bit. 

I have to ask - as I do not understand at all what you are referring to? Where does your assumption come from? 

Not the newbie poster who assumed that she needed to underbid the client's budget for her proposal to show up at all, right? 

motyduke
Community Guru
Olivier P Member Since: May 25, 2015
23 of 60

thanks valeria for your answer .

But if a proposal is hidden , do you let it know to the freelancer . If not i really feel it is so unfair . Maybe some freelancers have many prpospsal hidden , without knowing it and struggled a lot to get a job .

I really think Upwork must remove this feature which is really bad for freelancers and customers 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
24 of 60

Olivier,

Freelancer doesn't get notification if a proposal is hidden. The clients can still view the proposal in the hidden tab, however.

Note once again that we are moving away from that model as more clients are introduced to the new design without the hidden tab. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
ictlearn
S.M. Zakir Hasan A Member Since: Apr 9, 2015
25 of 60

@Valeria,

How much time your team need to develop and remove hidden tab.

Its 2016 and tonight one of my client during the interview asked me iwhy your application is in hidden tab ?i culdt answer because tonight i came to know this system that our proposals are automatically shifted on hidden tab.

Thts mean many of my proposalas are hidden still now.its really very bad and waste of time by wasting connects and time for applying if it appears automatically in a hidden tab.

Can you see my profile.is it happening for my job success rate?so that means i have no oppourtunity to increase my success rate?

**edited for Community Guidelines**

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
26 of 60

Hi S.M. Zakir Hasan A,

There is no hidden folder in the new applicants page design. Instead, there is an Archived folder, where you’ll find proposals you’ve declined or archived, as well as those withdrawn or declined by the freelancer. All proposals do appear in the same proposal list and your client probably had to click the "Show More" button to expand the proposal list.

Untitled
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
27 of 60

Hi All,

I would like to address S.M. Zakir Hasan's original concern about the visibility of his proposals and his Job Success score.  A few important points:

- The Job Success score reflects ALL contracts the freelancer has accepted, regardless of whether money was paid or not.

- That's why we strongly recommend applying for jobs and accepting offers only if you are confident you have skills and time necessary to complete the job and deliver quality product. Additionally, we recommend focusing on fewer categories in your profile and improving your skills in those categories.

- Focus on writing great proposals that specifically address the information in the job posting instead of trying to submit your proposal before others. Proposals are sorted by best match instead of time submitted so freelancers who take time to write their proposals and address client's concerns get a fair chance and visibility.

- Communication is key. Make sure you communicate with your client quickly and professionally.

If you follow the points above, you'll have no problem maintaining high Job Success score and having your proposals appear at the top of the list.

~ Valeria
Upwork
oquintela
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
28 of 60

@Valeria K wrote:

[…]

- The Job Success score reflects ALL contracts the freelancer has accepted, regardless of whether money was paid or not.

- That's why we strongly recommend applying for jobs and accepting offers only if you are confident you have skills and time necessary to complete the job and deliver quality product. […]

Valeria, the fact that the score reflects ALL the contracts the freelancer has accepted may sound obvious, but what about a freelancer accepting an offer just to have the client end the contract the next minute because he wanted to change the contract title? I'm sure you're aware that when this happens the client is prompted to leave private feedback. Is this fair?

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
29 of 60

i was responding to what the newbie said ela.

i happen to be a newbie also. is there something wrong with newbies?

i should also mention that i recently tried to bid on a fixed price job with a budget stated of x dollars and it said in the post to bid less. so my concern is valid i'd say. 

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
30 of 60

@Mariska P wrote:

i was responding to what the newbie said ela.

i happen to be a newbie also. is there something wrong with newbies?

i should also mention that i recently tried to bid on a fixed price job with a budget stated of x dollars and it said in the post to bid less. so my concern is valid i'd say. 

Mariska, that colour is really hard to read.

Anyway, I didn't mean to criticize you personally. I am sorry if I came across that way. I read your post several times and couldn't figure out where this was coming from. I overbid budgets in at least 50% of all cases and I don't apply for jobs where the client asks me to bid less than what he himself put as his budget. That's ridiculous (talking about the client, not freelancers who bid anyway).

The way it sounded before was that your were not able to enter the bid you wanted to, meaning the system rejected your bid. Which is something I cannot imagine - despite all the other bugs. 

That's all.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS