🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Hiring
Page options
joanl6b
Community Member

Hiring

Hello,

I'm Joan.

I was contacted by a client that operates a teaching platform.  When I asked about payment through my upwork account, I was told that was entirely betweem myself and the students.  If I choose to register on this platform how do i go  about directing the payment through upwork?  Am I allowed to arrange private payments?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Joan,

Thank you for your message. 

Please note that requesting or offering payment or work outside of Upwork is considered as a violation of our TOS. I see that your client's account is already reviewed and suspended for violation of our TOS. Any work completed with this client outside of Upwork will not be covered by Upwork Payment protection.

Thank you.

Pradeep. 

Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
wescowley
Community Member

Joan L wrote:

Hello,

I'm Joan.

I was contacted by a client that operates a teaching platform.  When I asked about payment through my upwork account, I was told that was entirely betweem myself and the students.  If I choose to register on this platform how do i go  about directing the payment through upwork?  Am I allowed to arrange private payments?

Did that client find you through Upwork or were you contacted by that client through Upwork? If so, all of the payments related to this have to come through Upwork. Those students would have to sign up as Upwork clients and send you offers from your profile.

If the client didn't find you or contact you through Upwork, you're not obligated to use Upwork's contracts or payment processing.

The client found me through upwork. He operates a teaching platform that I
am required to post my profile on in order for students to contact me on
their platform. When I asked if I will be paid through upwork I was told
that I will negotiate the payment with the students and how I will be
paid. I'm hesitant to complete the registration process with them as it
appears to have a grey area.

Hi Joan,

Thank you for your message. 

Please note that requesting or offering payment or work outside of Upwork is considered as a violation of our TOS. I see that your client's account is already reviewed and suspended for violation of our TOS. Any work completed with this client outside of Upwork will not be covered by Upwork Payment protection.

Thank you.

Pradeep. 

Upwork
joanl6b
Community Member

Thanks for the clarification. You have been very helpful.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Joan L wrote:

Hello,

I'm Joan.

If someone is advertising a job that is not paid through Upwork and/or they are not the client (or a direct representative of the client), then it seems to me this is a violation of the TOS. They are essentially using Upwork to recruit you to their platform with no intention of hiring or paying through Upwork themselves. I would report it to Upwork. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members