🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Hourly paid job but client disapear
Page options
drissredac
Community Member

Hourly paid job but client disapear

Hi

I work actually on an hourly paid job (my first one)

client is verified ans seems to be serious as she is member of big AI company;

I have little preoccupation: She did not show up since more than a week, 

I still work on my tasks with logged time on upwork app

BUT how do I know when to  stop work ???

Should i just continue and wait for her to show up?

Iam on my third work of work, and have already my first week payement available on my report;

thanks 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I don’t know if the original poster has been writing memos.

But every freelancer should know there is no reason to use the time-tracker without memos.

It takes a few seconds per hour to write memos.

It shows respect for the client.

And it may save your bacon if something goes wrong with the client’s payment method.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
roberty1y
Community Member

First, make sure you're logging all the time you work with the time tracker, and with memos. The reasonable thing would be to do the job described in the contract. You should assume that's what the client wants, unless they say they've changed their mind. Lots of clients drop out of contact and then reappear asking for the work they paid for.

Thank you for your answer

I already use Tracker Upwork

and have all screen captures on my view work diary.

I work for them on their own software, so they can check via their own app what am I doing.

thanks again

re: “BUT how do I know when to  stop work ?”

Stop work when you have completed your assignment.

It does not matter if you do not hear from the client.

If the client asked you to draw a picture of a cute puppy wearing an outfit representing each nation in the world, and you have sent five pictures… for Canada, Belize, Australia, France, and Saudi Arabia…

Well, I guess you have about 200 more to go.

If you understand your assignment, and it isn’t done yet, I recommend that you continue working until it is done.

Hi

the fact is that work never finish!!!! 

I work on client's software and there are unlimited tasks to do,

client just fixed a limit of 30 HOURS PER WEEK and gave access to software,

BUT did not mention how much weeks do I have to do,

well, I will continue working hoping he'll show up soon;

regards

re: “client just fixed a limit of 30 HOURS PER WEEK and gave access to software”

Actions speak louder than words.

The fact that this client pays you money for all the work that you do every week is a very meaningless trope of communication.

The fact that the client just now adjusted the maximum number of hours per week demonstrates that she is observing your work.

thanks for your answer,

will just keep on working

regards

Souhila D wrote:

I work for them on their own software, so they can check via their own app what am I doing.

That is irrelevant. Without a meaningful work memo, your hours are not in any way protected, and if the client fails to pay or disputes, you lose every disputed or unpaid minute of work automatically and by default and will not get paid.

Petra R wrote:

Souhila D wrote:

That is irrelevant. Without a meaningful work memo, your hours are not in any way protected, and if the client fails to pay or disputes, you lose every disputed or unpaid minute of work automatically and by default and will not get paid.

I'm not sure what the OP means, but if she's only recording her time on the client's software and not using Upwork's memo facility, that's a huge mistake. 

Robert Y wrote: I'm not sure what the OP means, but if she's only recording her time on the client's software and not using Upwork's memo facility, that's a huge mistake. 

She said that she is using the Upwork tracker.

But she may not be using the memo function, which I already pointed out might cause problems in case the client doesn't pay or disputes.

I don’t know if the original poster has been writing memos.

But every freelancer should know there is no reason to use the time-tracker without memos.

It takes a few seconds per hour to write memos.

It shows respect for the client.

And it may save your bacon if something goes wrong with the client’s payment method.

thanks for all your answers

Effectively ( And as it's my first hourly paid job) I even don't know the existence of these memos!!!

and to what they are used for? 

I will try to get more infos about this, so that I can use upwork tracker more efficiently 

ragards

Souhila D wrote:

Effectively ( And as it's my first hourly paid job) I even don't know the existence of these memos!!!

and to what they are used for? 

Just add what you are working on in the "memo" field on the tracker.

They are used to describe what you are working on and are needed to qualify for Upwork's hourly protection...

add memo.png

Thanks

the thing is that I m working on the same thing, I do audio transcription tasks on clients's software, so there's not really what to say!!!  lol!!!!

re: “so there's not really what to say”

Say:

“Doing audio transcription for English-language audio file Henderson_Project_2021Oct21.wav, using AudioMaster.”

ok

so will put that

in my case it's french audio transcription

hope my client will reappear!!!

Just a thing please : how are those clients that pay hourly, billed by Upwork?? 

When I see amount on my report overview is that the client's money ??

thanks

Souhila D wrote:

the thing is that I m working on the same thing, I do audio transcription tasks on clients's software, so there's not really what to say!!!  lol!!!!

Say "Transcribing (language) audio on (name of platform) as instructed by (name of client).

tlbp
Community Member

Read through the guides Upwork publishes for freelancers. They are located here

drissredac
Community Member

thanks to all community's members!

you've been very helpful with your advises;

regards

update

My client finally shows up.

and every thing is going well with the payment.

thanks again for your support
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members