🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Proposal Template
Page options
navidzafar
Community Member

Proposal Template

Hi All,

I strongly feel that there should be an option for "Proposal Template" when applying for a job.

As we have options for:

1- More than one profile

2- More than one projects

There should be an option for "Proposals" as well. Its specially needed when we are using our cell phone and come across a job and want to submit a proposal for it. It is bit difficult to type a customize proposal or copy/paste from any other file.

Your thoughts please?

16 REPLIES 16
petra_r
Community Member

Upwork very strongly discourages the use of proposal templates, in fact, they are one of the things clients complain about and can flag. Proposals which are canned / copy-paste / templates are obvious and generally lead to less chances to get hired. To clients they appear sloppy and lazy. Clients can flag such proposals and Upwork have been known to remove freelancers who persist in using such proposals from the website permanently.

So, no. There is literally no chance of Upwork providing a facility to allow freelancers to easily do something that is against best practice and upsets clients. None.

Petra, I agree with you.

However there is some content in all of our proposals that remains the same for almost every bid.

1- Introduction

2- Our qualification

3- Working experience

4- Asking/inviting client for a discussion/interview

5- Links/reference of your previous work on Upwork

6- Few other things as well

So I believe it will help us quickly customize a proposal.

I am taking it as a supporting tool. 

Navid Z wrote:

However there is some content in all of our proposals that remains the same for almost every bid.

1- Introduction

2- Our qualification

3- Working experience

4- Asking/inviting client for a discussion/interview

5- Links/reference of your previous work on Upwork

6- Few other things as well

The stuff above should mainly be on your profile and not in your proposal! Introduction? Why? Please don't tell me you are using the lame old "My name is ... I am a ...... from...." or anything of the sort?

2. is on your profile. The only "qualification" that has any place in a proposal is the one that fits the specific job post.

3. exactly the same as 2.

4. that's a few words.

5. The same as 2. and 3.

6. Seriously?

Again: Upwork kick freelancers off the platform for using copy-paste proposals. They won't create templates to irritate the living daylights out of clients.

When I hire, or help clients hire, I don't even READ those stupid templated proposals. They are declined or archived (thumbs down) instantly. Nobody has time to waste on such nonsense. If a freelancer can't be bothered to write a proper proposal, they will probably have the same "can't be bothered" attitude to my or my client's precious project. 

Hi Petra, 
Thanks for your valuable Comment. I understand your all tips but I have a question about this description. when I send a job proposal by written, not copy-paste, then already, some people send proposal already, i see this job proposal that the client call interview already. For this, my chance is very rear that job. 
Even, when I send a proposal copy-paste, I think, my position is top, so I got an interview call and already, I am working with this client now. 
Now, kindly, let me know your opinion with tips and Tricks about the cover letter. 
Thanks

kinector
Community Member

Not only is the use of proposal templates discouraged on Upwork as Petra said, they are also the worst ways of getting jobs over here. Simply put, usually you just don't get them.

Perhaps the only things you might want to have in a kind of template is a polite hello and signature. Anything more would need to be customized for each job with the focus of getting the first sentences sound very attractive to the client before the full proposal is clicked open.

If you have canned projects and a very precise and copy-pasteable value proposition, it sounds like the Project Catalog feature matches your needs. I see you getting a lot of business that way. Just keep going on that track instead of sending proposals, maybe? 👍

Mikko R wrote:
Not only is the use of proposal templates discouraged on Upwork as Petra said, they are also the worst ways of getting jobs over here. Simply put, usually you just don't get them.

Perhaps the only things you might want to have in a kind of template is a polite hello and signature. Anything more would need to be customized for each job with the focus of getting the first sentences sound very attractive to the client before the full proposal is clicked open.

If you have canned projects and a very precise and copy-pasteable value proposition, it sounds like the Project Catalog feature matches your needs. I see you getting a lot of business that way. Just keep going on that track instead of sending proposals, maybe? 👍

Thanks for your valuable input.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Navid Z wrote:

Hi All,

I strongly feel that there should be an option for "Proposal Template" when applying for a job.

As we have options for:

1- More than one profile

2- More than one projects

There should be an option for "Proposals" as well. Its specially needed when we are using our cell phone and come across a job and want to submit a proposal for it. It is bit difficult to type a customize proposal or copy/paste from any other file.

Your thoughts please?

I don't know what you mean by more than one profile, since you can only have one? As others have said, a generic proposals will not win you any jobs. Clients can see through copy/paste immediately and don't like it because it just appears lazy. 

Martina P. wrote:

I don't know what you mean by more than one profile

A main profile and two specialized profiles.

roberty1y
Community Member

So much of what you see online is bland and prepackaged, often not even written by a human. The sure way to lower your chances of getting a job is to send proposals that are like that. The first two lines of your proposal are the one chance you have to stand out somewhat as an individual.

There is no information that should be repeated in every proposal. If the client wants to know about a freelancer, that's what their profile is for.

Robert Y wrote:

The first two lines of your proposal are the one chance you have to stand out somewhat as an individual.

True.

tlbp
Community Member

Google Docs

Dropbox

OneDrive

eversign

navidzafar
Community Member

Tonya P wrote:

Google Docs

Dropbox

OneDrive

eversign

So one-way or another, every one is using some sort of copy/paste or template thing.

TRUE?

Navid Z wrote: So one-way or another, every one is using some sort of copy/paste or template thing.

TRUE?

I would hope not. Where do you get the idea that everyone is using copy paste canned proposals despite the fact that this is so strongly discouraged, irritates clients and can get you removed from the platform?

Tonya simply gave you a way to do what you are clearly dead set on doing, however bad an idea it is. If you INSIST on sending out your canned proposals, you can use one of the services she told you about. As Upwork do not want you to use canned proposals because it is bad for their business, they will not provide you with templates to make it easier for you to do something that is bad for their business.

re: “So one-way or another, every one is using some sort of copy/paste or template thing. TRUE?”

No. Not true.

tlbp
Community Member

To ease your input burden is create a document or data file with selected snippets of your best proposals. Information such as your expertise and skills can be reduced down to sentences that apply in various different settings. 

Then, you can use these snippets, along with a customized opening to craft a personalized message faster than typing in your general qualifications for each proposal. (In email marketing, these would be your dynamic fields or blocks, changeable to suit the characteristics of the prospect.)

But, as others have pointed out, your description of you should be just a small part of you overall proposal. The prospective client wants to know what you can do for them

navidzafar
Community Member

Tonya P wrote:

To ease your input burden is create a document or data file with selected snippets of your best proposals. Information such as your expertise and skills can be reduced down to sentences that apply in various different settings. 

Then, you can use these snippets, along with a customized opening to craft a personalized message faster than typing in your general qualifications for each proposal. (In email marketing, these would be your dynamic fields or blocks, changeable to suit the characteristics of the prospect.)

But, as others have pointed out, your description of you should be just a small part of you overall proposal. The prospective client wants to know what you can do for them

Yes, this is much more sensible approach. Thanks.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members