🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Hourly rate job asking for fixed price ( endl...
Page options
imemjr
Community Member

Hourly rate job asking for fixed price ( endless revisions )

Hi guys !

Recently i applied on hourly rate job and got interviewed but then the client told me he want a fixed price. I approved and gived him a cost For each type of video.

Now since we started our first milestone the client is asking for endless revisions that make the cost we agreed on disappointing and Unsatisfactory. I feel like i'm puting all my time for the client and this project but getting little in return.

I know my mistake that i didn't discuss the number of revisions before setting the fixed price, but what you think of this situation and how i can deal with it ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

You can end a contract at any time.

If this contract isn't working well for you... if you are not earning good money for your time, you SHOULD end the contract.

Don't let a client abuse the fixed-price contract model this way.

Tell the client it is time to release all money in escrow, and that AFTER he does so, you will be ablevto discuss doing additional work on the project.

If he does not release all escrow money to you, then do this:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068528-Dispute-Non-Release-of-a-Milestone-Payment

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
luke715
Community Member

I've been there too, it really sucks. I think hourly rates are generally better because you get paid more the longer the project takes. With fixed price, your relying on your quote being accurate enough at the beginning. If possible, try to finish up the project as quick as possible and move onto the next client. At the very least, you may get a positive review. 

What you can also do is to try and passivly talk the client out of more work via chat. How exactly you do this will greatly depend on the kind of work your doing. Maybe place some doubt in their mind, or mention how long something might take. 

If your getting close to finishing up he project, but the client keeps asking for revisions, instead of sending them a message with the latest version, submit it as a milestone completion. If they want any changes, they will have to send it back as an actual revision request. It might make them more concious of the amount of revisions they are requesting.

re: "I know my mistake that i didn't discuss the number of revisions before setting the fixed price, but what you think of this situation and how i can deal with it ?"

If you did not discuss the number of revisions, then it means that revisions ARE NOT PART of the contract. The client is not allowed to ask for even one revision as far as I'm  concerned.

Don't put up with this. Nobody can force you to work for free.

Require the client to pay you before you spend one more second on this project.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

For me, having a prospective client advertise an hourly job and then insisting our contract be fixed price is a big red flag. I just say, "No." Always.

You're going to have to set some limits, which this client likely won't like. But would you rather keep being revisioned beyond reason?

There's no easy soluton for your current situation, unfortunately, but as long as it's a lesson learned you won't make the same mistake again.

Good luck!

prestonhunter
Community Member

You can end a contract at any time.

If this contract isn't working well for you... if you are not earning good money for your time, you SHOULD end the contract.

Don't let a client abuse the fixed-price contract model this way.

Tell the client it is time to release all money in escrow, and that AFTER he does so, you will be ablevto discuss doing additional work on the project.

If he does not release all escrow money to you, then do this:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068528-Dispute-Non-Release-of-a-Milestone-Payment

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members